All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 ID collars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  9:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Have a question. Did find a thread on ID collars, but it was a couple years old so wondering if anyone has new ideas.

I have recently acquired 3 new girls. All white, all born last summer, all sired by the same male and dams are related. They are very difficult to tell apart - I call them the triplets . In the thread I found, the collars don't seem to be very popular. I suppose I could do ear tags, but am looking for something easier than that.

Any ideas.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com

rgoss1

663 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  9:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know breeders who use break-away dog collars and then add name tags. If you have a dollar store close by they generally sell these kinds of collars. Obviously you want to have them fit just right. Too loose and they can get a foot stuck in it when they lay down. Too tight and there isn't room for the fiber as it starts coming in.

Good Luck

Roxanne Goss
Lands End Alpacas LLC
Vermilion, Ohio
gossr@roadrunner.com 440-225-4138
Go to Top of Page

jolee

283 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  9:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit jolee's Homepage  Send jolee an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
You could paint their toe nails different colors... hee hee jo

Our Alpacas aren't our whole life, they just make our life whole!

ALPACAS4U2C
alpacas4u2c@windstream.net
Lee & Joanne Mansfield
706-745-7344
www.alpacanation.com/alpacas4u2c.asp
4011 CJ Calico Ln.
Blairsville, Ga 30512

Go to Top of Page

danimac

936 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heidi, I remember reading about several of the larger breeders using the collars before someone figured out how to cover up the ear tags for show ring. I think Steve Hull was one who talked about them over on AS a year or two ago.

As long as the collar is snug enough that they can't catch a foot in it but loose enough to not choke them and is able to breakaway if they get it caught in the fence, it would be perfect for your 3 girls.

Dani

Dani McKenzie
Longbottom Meadows
Roy, WA
360-400-0348
http://www.longbottommeadows.com
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lots of people use the lightweight plastic neck chains with a breakaway link. They come in different colors, too.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2950 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  2:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also use the animal marking chalk or paint and just put a small color mark on an ear, you would have to redo it occasionally but until you decide on a collar it would be quick, easy, painless, inexpensive, but very easy to ID them.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

pdhmaine

629 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  5:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit pdhmaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To make it easier for the rest of my family to tell the alpacas apart, I use the collars and tags from Useful Llama.

Green = gelding
Pink = maiden
Blue = intact male
pink + blue = Maroon = bred female

Names in Indelible Ink can be wiped off with baking soda
Pam

Pamela Harwood
Longwoods Alpaca Farm, LLC
135 Longwoods Road
Cumberland, ME 04021
pdh@longwoodsalpacas.com
www.longwoodsalpacas.com

Go to Top of Page

Judith

3996 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  8:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was using the velcro-closure type collars when I first started, but on two separate occasions I found collars that had apparently gotten caught on something and the metal ring that holds the plastic name tag had opened up and was protruding with a fairly sharp end. I was afraid someone would hook themselves on it when playing or shuffling around in the herd, so I quit using them (although they DO make great gate fasteners LOL!)

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Farm Bolivian Suri Alpacas
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  11:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone,

I am pretty sold on the plastic link collars, but would have to order them etc etc and want something I can pick up either at the local feed store or might have around the house. I am sure we have some non-toxic paint around here somewhere

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  12:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I had a farm sitter and had several girls nearly due, I just marked the names on a wide ribbon with a Sharpie and stuck it together with self adhesive velcro. I would guess in a few months you'll be able to tell them apart, no problem.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  06:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heidi, my feed store has the link collars (not sure about the breakaway links, though) - I think goat and cow people use them, too. You might want to give yours a call and check.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

pdhmaine

629 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  11:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit pdhmaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When using the velcro ID collars and tags, I take off the metal rings, which DO get caught on things, and attach them with a zip tie (end pointing out, cut short).
Pam

Pamela Harwood
Longwoods Alpaca Farm, LLC
135 Longwoods Road
Cumberland, ME 04021
pdh@longwoodsalpacas.com
www.longwoodsalpacas.com

Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  3:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After 10 years of tagging our alpacas and having no luck with any and we tried them all. Then one day I said to my wife maybe we are tagging the wrong end, so we got a size 6 to 8 adjustable cat collar and put it around the base of the tail its been there for 4 months and has not moved our tagging problems are over.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  4:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our farm is small enough and we know our alpacas enough that we have never had to use collar or id tags. We do have alpacas that look kind of alike but there is always a difference.

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
www.alpacanation.com/hollandacres.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2779 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three true black girls tht look very much alike, but I caN still tell them apart. Also have two white boys(father and son) and I can tell them apart too, but somebody else probably would not be able to do that. Next time I go away and have somebody take care of them, I will probably have to id them.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2010 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like I said, these girls are nearly full sisters - they don't look a little alike, they look exactly alike. Well, two of them anyway. The third is fairly easy to tell apart because she still sneaks a drink from mom (she just turned a year old last week). But I seriously can't tell the other two apart except that one has a little darker pigment on her mouth. But I don't know which name belongs to which girl really. Its one of those situations where I will send blood from each to ARI for verification before I breed them.

Oh, and I did end up getting a bunch of chain/tags from Premier when I ordered more clipper blades, because I plan to breed all three to the same male, so want to make sure I am prepared when those crias arrive.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  11:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used the chain collars in two days they had them all off. Have not loss a tail tag yet.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2950 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2010 :  3:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the plastic chain collars and like Ken had happen it was just a matter of days and they had them all off. I adjusted the chains by removing a few more links and have been happy with them since.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
Go to Top of Page

mfount

218 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit mfount's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where can I purchase a break-away link for the plastic chain collars? We use the plastic chains around neck, but I do worry about them getting caught.

Mike and Jan Fountain
Fountain Mist Alpcas LLC
Marshfield, WI 54449
(715)676-3903
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2950 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2010 :  10:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mfount,
Just use those smaller plastic zip ties, the ones that are about 2-3 inches long will break on any decent size tug. If you find they break to easily just keep going to the next size up until you are happy with them. You can buy containers with several sizes in them too.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,515 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!