All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 LA 200 dose?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluemoon1

23 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  09:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit bluemoon1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am treating a possible EPE case (waiting for lab results) and wondering if any one has a recommended dose for LA 200 (oxytetracycline). My vet is not familiar with EPE in alpacas. I have heard every day for 2 weeks, every other day for 2 weeks and every day for 10 days. Is there any consensus?

thanks!
Linda
www.bluemoonranch.net

Linda Gardner
Blue Moon Ranch
Woodland Utah
http://www.bluemoonranch.net

TheAlpacaRosa

571 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  12:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit TheAlpacaRosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I recently asked Dr. Cebra if the protocol for treating has changed? He says that 1 injection every third day for a total of 5 injections is still what he and Dr.Susan Tournquist recommend. the dosage is 4.5cc per 100 lb. I use Bio-Mycin 200. It is much less irritating to the skin tissues and has the same active ingredient.

Carolyn

Don Marquette
The AlpacaRosa
Ohio
www.alpacanation.com/thealpacarosa
www.TheAlpacaRosa.com

Edited by - TheAlpacaRosa on 07/08/2010 08:49:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

bluemoon1

23 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluemoon1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carolyn. It does say 4.5 CC/100 pounds every 48 hours in the Evans manual. Five doses total. Then to use tetracycline capsules thru day 60. Wonder where I could find those. Have you ever used them?

Linda Gardner
Blue Moon Ranch
Woodland Utah
http://www.bluemoonranch.net
Go to Top of Page

SunSpiced

34 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  1:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit SunSpiced's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our vet also recommends 4.5 cc/100 lb for oxytet 200 mg/ml. It is packaged under several different names. We use Maxim 200. Treat for 10 days with shot every other day for a total of 5 shots. The one problem we found was that it is very easy to stain a white alpaca. The jumpy ones are the worst.

Our vet also recommends following with 60 days of oral oxytet. We used Agrimycin. The dose is 10 mg/lb per day.

Sheila Temple
Sun Spiced Alpacas
Homosassa, FL
352-628-9980
www.SunSpicedAlpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

TheAlpacaRosa

571 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit TheAlpacaRosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've never used the oral followup and haven't seen a problem with results.

Carolyn

Don Marquette
The AlpacaRosa
Ohio
www.alpacanation.com/thealpacarosa
www.TheAlpacaRosa.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,592 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!