All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Dry flakey skin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

El-Bar

10 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit El-Bar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

on of my alpacas Pablo has recently been sheared and i noticed he has quite a lot of dry skin at the top of his front legs and around his tail area, could he be lacking some kind of vitamin and is there anything i could give him to improve his skin condition.
Over winter i did feel he wasn't quite right and was a bit thinner than the other two and preferred to be off on his own at times, since the better weather has come hes put weight back on but i just think theres something still not right especially with this dry skin i have noticed too. Hes been regularly wormed and over winter he was fed a good quality mix made for horses and ad lib haylage, now they are just on good grazing with hay if they want it and no hard feed.
Any help much appreciated

www.pinelodgeponies.com

Offbeat Acres

89 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  9:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Offbeat Acres's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well....we've had really good luck with old-fashioned Bag Balm on dry, flaky skin. We get it at our local farm supply store, in a green tin. It's basically lanolin with an antiseptic mixed in. It keeps the skin moist and clean, and we use it on our 'pacas who have minor irritations from bug bites and such. It's also worked really well on one of our rescued dogs who had a terrible case of mange.

If your boy has underlying medical issues, call your vet!

Erin Egan
Offbeat Acres Fruit & Fiber Farm
Cottage Grove, WI

www.offbeatacres.com
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4005 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine - you might want to have your vet do a skin scraping to check for mites. The inner legs and base of the tail are two areas commonly affected by mites (as are the feet and face). Or, if it turns out to be just a dry skin condition or a zinc deficiency and the Bag Balm doesn't work, you could try the "Witches Brew." I believe it's sold by Light Livestock Equipment (Jay Ward, here in NYS).

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Farm Bolivian Suri Alpacas
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

El-Bar

10 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  6:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit El-Bar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks will try your suggestions

www.pinelodgeponies.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,523 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!