Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 white muscle disease
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue Moon

2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lathargic 1 year old male with a temp as high as 105. Temp losered after anti-biotics. Not sure of diagnosis. Thought at first M-worm becasue of weakness but with the temp. and other unusual behavior I have ruled that out. I am having trouble getting clear info on white muscle disease. Anyone have experience or knowledge of? He also perked up a bit after a Bo Se injection but for only a day.

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  10:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best way to diagnose/rule out white muscle disease is a blood test to see what the selenium level is. I would also check another animal or two in the same pasture since you gave him a shot which will raise his blood level. In my experience, some animals are way more sensitive to low levels than others. Also low levels seem to make them more susceptible to heat stress. Make sure to keep him oool. But I would say it is definately time to have a vet run complete blood work to look for signs of infection or heat stress, plus the selenium so that you know exactly what you are dealing with. I just lost a wonderful boy that I misdiagnosed with heat stress, when he in fact had some sort of infection. Vet also said heat stress, but if we had run the bloodwork earlier we might have saved him.

Posting your location is always helpful in these situations because of climate, MWorm, selenium levels, etc.

By the way, the animals I had showing symptoms with the low selenium were all young adults (3-4 years) and from other parts of the country. They also continued to eat very well.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

Blue Moon

2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the reply. My location is Vermont which is low in selenium but this would be the first and only to be affected on my farm. I'm waiting for my vet to call. It hasn't been very hot here. I have another Bo Se injection ready but waiting to hear from vet first. How did you treat your animals with low selenium levels?

Edited by - Blue Moon on 08/18/2010 10:15:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  11:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted a link to an article a couple years ago from some research on WMD from WSU. Of course, I can't find it now. But I did do a search on the WSU vet site for WMD and came up with some good articles. The first powerpoint has information about camelids and a couple slides on WMD.

http://search.wsu.edu/Default.aspx?cx=004677039204386950923:xvo7gapmrrg&cof=FORID%3A11&q=white+muscle+disease&sa=Search#1052

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once I knew that the whole farm (blood work) had a problem, I figured out how much selenium they were getting from hay and pellets, and then supplemented with equine selenium crumbles a few times a week. You can easily get too much as well as not enough, which is just as dangerous, so if you're not good at math, get some help from the vet. I had three animals out of 55 or so that showed symptoms. One got immediately better after the selenium injection, one took about two weeks, and the third took more than one injection and about a month.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  11:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would not give more BoSe without doing bloodwork, as too much can be fatal. You really should have a vet involved at this point - it's never a good idea to treat without knowing what you're treating.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

JimR

1046 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2010 :  8:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was curious about selenium in my area after reading your post, so I did a search and found this. As previously posted, too much is just as bad as too little. I never knew my area had too much(although possibly not my farm) and I actually put out mineral blocks, and give grain. Never had a problem, but I really need to get my soil tested. Here is the article. Hope you alpaca is ok.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/seleniumdeficiency.html

Susan Rempe
Four Corners Alpacas
Bloomfield NM
River11524@msn.com
www.AlpacaNation.com/fourcorners.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,522 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!