Alpaca feed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dannylink

41 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  01:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I only have 4 boys who are basically pets, is goat feed that can be purchased at TSC OK for them? I have used a few bags and the boys seem to like it alot and appear healthy. This is of course supplimented with all the hay they want. Another question is does anyone keep a radio playing in their barn and would that be of any benefit?

Edited by - dannylink on 02/01/2011 02:00:07 AM

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  04:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think goat feed is good for alpacas, when I had goats I had to make sure the alpacas could not get to their feed, something to do with copper I think. I feed my boys sweet feed 12% and you can get that at TSC. If I am wrong someone will jump in.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  06:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Can you post the nutritional info from the bag? Alpacas are a bit more sensitive to copper than goats. An unmedicated sheep feed might be a better choice but if there was a feed designed for camelids that would be your best bet.

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

rgoss1

663 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please post your location so that other farms in your area might be able to respond and let you know where they purchase their feed - thanks

Roxanne Goss
Lands End Alpacas LLC
Vermilion, Ohio
gossr@roadrunner.com 440-225-4138
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  1:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Goat feed isn't a good idea for alpacas as the copper content is too high - TSC has their own brand of alpaca pellets, if yours doesn't stock them, they should still be able to order them in for you.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2956 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  2:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TSC around here carries alpaca feed but it is about $5 more a bag than 12% Sweet Feed like Ken suggested and the vitamins and mineral content is not much different. You can look at the labels and buy a premium horse pellet with more vitamins and minerals for a lot less than buying alpaca feed from them.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

dannylink

41 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  4:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks fot the imput. I will look for the sweet feed or even sheep feed. What should I be looking for on the label besides copper. Is copper not good for alpaca's?
Go to Top of Page

danimac

936 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  11:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alpacas are sensitive to too much copper in their diet.

Your other option is to not feed them grain, but provide free choice minerals (I use stillwater 104, as we're in a selenium deficient area).

Cheers,
Dani

Dani McKenzie
Longbottom Meadows
Roy, WA
360-400-0348
http://www.longbottommeadows.com
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  07:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can I ask why you just don't get alpaca feed??

Debbie Potter
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will tell you why I don't give my boys alpaca feed, I can get 2 bags of Sweet Feed for less than 1 bag of alpaca feed.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  2:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I don't really know much about sweet feed (embarrassing since we have horses) I know alpaca feed can be pricey for sure. I know it typically has some combo of oats corn barley salt and minerals with molasses to bind it all together. In looking at some labels online some does have a pretty high copper content. I think it would depend on the sweet feed.

Ann

and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2787 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stopped feeding my boys alpaca feed two years ago. Their fiber and body score is so much better. All they get is hay and minerals. I could have saved myself a ton of money for those first four years when I was feeding them the way I now feed my pregnant/nursing females. As long as they have good hay/grass and minerals to get when they feel the need, that's all the boys need as far as feed goes. Anthony Stachowski said the same thing at meeting at one of the shows.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

dlduda

32 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  09:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering for those of you that feed sweet feed to your alpacas. How much do you give them?
Darcell
Conneautville
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked the copper on my Sweet Feed and it is way below what in my alpaca feed. Not saying all Sweet Feed is the same but ours was 15PPM copper Sweet Feed and 40PPM in the alpaca feed. In the winter time I give my boys 1/2 cup AM and 1 Cup PM, summer time 1 cup PM.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  10:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to add to this that we give our girls 50-50 Sweet Feed and alpaca feed same feeding as the boys, been doing this for 4 years with know problems.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:09:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dumb question - when you say sweet feed do you mean COB (corn, oats and barley)? I know that comes in wet and dry (with molasses and without) or is it a pelleted feed like Equine Senior? We have a feed store that is an affiliate of TSC locally, but I had never thought of buying their pelleted horse feed. All they carry for camelids is Mazuri, and it is very expensive.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2787 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard that you can use the Equine Senior for alpacas. Do any of you out there use it and is and it doing well for your alpacas? I saw that the price of that at the local TSC store is a lot less than the Kent feed(Norm Evans recipe) I'm currently feeding.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  12:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

The brand of equine senior here was pretty high in copper and fat and our vet advised against it for alpacas.

and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  12:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes its the COB with molasses. I pay $7.50 for a 50# bag. If you look at the tags on the alpaca feed and sweet feed they are almost the same with the sweet feed being a lower %.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

vintagealpacas

701 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  7:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit vintagealpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christiane, and others that are in Ohio and looking for great quality alpaca feed at a GREAT price point. Email me privately at vintagealpacas@aol.com and I can tell you about Armada feed... somehow the monitors here seem to think I make money on this feed when in fact I DO NOT MAKE A DIME.... I try to get a buying group together to get the best price.

Quality is VERY important to me... price is NOT the best thing to base your feeding program on.

Kimberly Rassi
Vintage Alpacas
alpacanation.asp/vintage
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  11:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But Kim, its pretty easy to price yourself out of business with some of these feeds. The 40# bag of Mazuri at my local feed store is $30. I am not will to pay that much for Dr. Evans endorsement. None if this stuff is a big secret - the ingredients are right there on the bag.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,522 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!