6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Fodder-Pro Feed System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Alpine Alpacas

46 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  2:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpine Alpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if anyone has explored using a fodder system for alpacas? I talked to a Farm Tek rep about the new version they are offering, and cost is $2,995. It produces 134-137 lbs. of barley a day, and it looks pretty nifty. I'm not sure how fast orchard grass would grow in comparison, but the rep said a filament could be used to save the lightweight seeds.

It sounds intriguing!

Kind regards,
Nancy

Nancy Lake
Alpine Alpacas
http://www.alpinealpaca.com
Breeding For Quality Grey Huacayas
Hagerstown, MD

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  6:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting......

Debbie Potter
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  7:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That does look pretty cool, especially for those of us in areas with short growing seasons. But I wonder how much the lighting would cost for a system like that? It's pretty pricey for a small seed starting system, and this is much larger...I also wonder how much of the roots alpacas would eat, versus cows and horses.

The system apparently originated in Australia - wonder if any of our overseas farmers are familiar with it?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  01:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow! I want to find out more about this system. I've got to cut hay costs!

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page

Nobellafarm

101 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  1:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nobellafarm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This fodder system facinates me. We have limited pasture and I would love to be able to provide some additional supplimental forage other than just hay.

I hope those of you experimenting with these systems share your experiences.

Sincerely,
Patty

Patty Mattingly
Nobella Alpacas
Leonardtown, MD
www.nobellaalpacas.com
www.criacoats.com
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

312 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  1:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone "down under" or anywhere, for that matter, using this system for alpacas? I guess you have to have a heated space to grow the fodder. Would it work in a small section of a barn, like an insulated room? I would worry about the heating system and the possibility of a fire. So many questions here, but it sounds so interesting!

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page

JimR

1046 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  1:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great concept, but after expense of buying it, electric and heat, it would not be affordable unless it saved you money (big money) on hay.
It looks like it might just be a supplement rather than a cheaper source of hay.
Neat idea though. I wish someone that used it would post about it.

Susan Rempe
Four Corners Alpacas
Bloomfield NM
River11524@msn.com
www.AlpacaNation.com/fourcorners.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holly Zech apparently uses this system - after doing a lot more reading, I found that you don't need anything other than ambient lighting; you can grow in conditions down into the 40s if you use barley or winter wheat type grasses; and the alpacas do eat the roots. I am seriously intrigued by this as a supplemental feed source during the winter months.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

Pat_H

64 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2011 :  2:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pat_H's Homepage  Send Pat_H an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok, this caught my interest too. I Googled growing hydroponic grass and got some interesting results. Some manufacturers even promise discrete shipping. It didn't take long to see why they now call it a hydroponic FODDER system

From my early exploration, this looks like a setup that can be done at home. I'd be very interested as well in hearing from someone who has used one of these systems.

Pat

Pat Heavener
Tranquility Alpacas
Andover, New Jersey
(973)786-7565
tranquilityalpacas@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

ljohnstontx

10 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wondering if anyone is joining the Farmtek webinar today on the fodder system. It starts at 2:00PM Eastern I believe. Would still be interested in hearing from our Australian friends if they use this type of system with their alpacas or know someone who does.

Thanks - Lisa

Lisa Johnston
Legends Ranch Alpacas
Princeton, TX
http://www.alpacanation.com/legendsranch.asp
Go to Top of Page

alpacacam

8 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit alpacacam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like to attend. Couldn't find a link on the farmtek site.
John
Stargazer Ranch

John Heise
Stargazer Ranch Alpacas
Loveland, CO
970-635-2322
john@alpaca.net
http://www.alpaca.net
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

312 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  2:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I couldn't hear the presentation but was able to see it. It would be difficult to have a temperature and humidity controlled environment in the winter. I wish they had a scaled down version that you could add to so we could try it. What if the alpacas don't take to it. They can be pretty fickle.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page

alpacacam

8 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2011 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit alpacacam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasn't able to to get conferenced in. Did anyone learn of the nutrtion and seed cost?

John Heise
Stargazer Ranch Alpacas
Loveland, CO
970-635-2322
john@alpaca.net
http://www.alpaca.net
Go to Top of Page

ljohnstontx

10 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2011 :  5:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the link to the recorded webinar for anyone that's interested. I also missed about 1/2 of it due to audio issues.

https://clearspan.webex.com/clearspan/lsr.php?AT=pb&SP=EC&rID=4090082&rKey=616e9ade2aba2713

Lisa Johnston
Legends Ranch Alpacas
Princeton, TX
http://www.alpacanation.com/legendsranch.asp
Go to Top of Page

abacusfarms

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit abacusfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi All

I built my own Fodder Growing room and it has been in operation since June 2011.

My set up is mor like the Fodder Solutions system, you can google it and see.

the Fodder Pro from Farm Tek uses the NFT or Nutrient Film technique for watering the seeds, I use an overhead sprinkler system.

I built my system in a 40 foot, insulated cargo container. It is fully lined in Aluminum. I installed an HVAC unit on the roof that is the type used on RV's.

I am growing barley seeds as a base, I have added some black oil sunflower seeds, and some safflower seeds. I have sprinkled some mixed beans and peas on top of the barley and those have sprouted well too.
I am producing about 600 - 650 lbs of fodder a day.

I have pictures of how I set up my unit but can't see a way to post to this forum

I also listened to the webinar from Fodder pro, it gave quite a bit of information on growing fodder. If you are at all curious, it is worth listening to so you can get an idea of what is involved.

Someone asked about seed costs? Depends on where you live I am sure, but I first bought my seeds in 50 lb bags, 40 on a pallet (1 ton) and I bought 4 tons at a time. Doing that, I paid about $11 a 50 lb bag. If I had not been getting a large amount and fit into the companies "comercial" amounts, a 50 lb bag of barley would have been close to $14 a bag. this last delivery that I got in true bulk, delivered and put in my new silo was $360 a ton delivered, so that works out to 49 a 50 lb bag. I willuh built my whole system myself, with just some assistance with the electrical stuff.

I pretty m

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms
Pleasant Grove CA
Go to Top of Page

abacusfarms

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit abacusfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oops, in my previous post, I meant to say $9 a 50 lb bag of barley when I purchased in true bulk

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms
Pleasant Grove CA
Go to Top of Page

abacusfarms

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit abacusfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am trying to catch up here, so forgive all of the posts! Someone asked about how much of the roots the alpacas eat? ALL OF It! :) Seeds, sprouts and roots, they love it, fight over it and most of mine will eat fodder over even alfalfa.

As far as lighting, I use just regualr flourescent lights that i bought at Home Depot. The "extreme" type for wet/dry and cold conditions, but you don't need special lighting. I am adding some rope LED lighting for the darker areas right now. I fugure it costs anywhere from $2 - $4 a day to run the lights/heat/cooling and the additional power for the well to do all the watering.

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms
Pleasant Grove CA
Go to Top of Page

abacusfarms

26 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  12:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit abacusfarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I first started feeding the fodder, my paca girls RAN from it like it was something that was going to kill them! LOL Took maybe 3 days, a few got brave to come over and see what it was, once they started eating it they have never looked back. They LOVE it, but it was a bit of a learning curve for a couple of them. Didn't take long though. My boys dug right in from the start and havn't looked back.

Holly Zech
Abacus Farms
Pleasant Grove CA
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holly, will you share where you purchase your barley seed and what kind? I was seriously considering the Fodder Pro system until I asked every feed store around about barley seed and no one could get it, except at certain times during the year. Seedland doesn't have it and a google search didn't help much.

Also can you estimate how much fodder you get per 50# bag of seed? Do you add any nutrients etc to the seed?

Thanks!

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

rip55jcp

254 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  08:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit rip55jcp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holly,

I would love to see pictures of your setup. If you do get them posted somewhere, please let me know where to look.

How much seed is used to produced 650lbs of forage per day? Also, I see from your website you also raise horses, so I am assuming that some of the 650lbs goes for them. How much of the fodder do you use for your alpacas on a daily basis?

After our last batch of nasty, dirty hay that we got (and were lucky to have found some), I'm looking for alternatives and this sounds like a great idea.

Thanks...

Theresa Pitts
Deepstep Creek Alpacas and Anatolian Shepherds
Deepstep, GA

www.deepstepcreekalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

alpacacam

8 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2012 :  10:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacacam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Holly,

I was wondering if you have any nutritional information on how you are designing your feed and adding the sunflower, safflower, beans and pea seeds?

Thanks for the posting all the information.

John Heise
Stargazer Ranch
Loveland CO
970-635-2322
www.alpaca.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,596 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!