All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Ulcers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  10:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 4 year old male that is drooling and foaming at the mouth. He is gettinf very thin. We had the vet check and trim his teeth. He wont eat any grain only pasture grass. I have heard giving pepcid works and also gutguard for ulcers in horses. Any suggestions and doses for treating a possible ulcer? My vet is good but not sure of himself when it comes to alpacas. We are learning together.

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
www.alpacanation.com/hollandacres.asp

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2011 :  4:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Is there clover in the field? That sometimes makes them slobber. A lot of drugs that work in other animals like horses don't work very well or at all in alpacas because the medication does not get to the c3 compartment where ulcers typically form. A drug that works well is injected Pantoprazole.

You might check a fecal and see if there is a parasite issue going on that is making him thin.

Good luck with him and keep us posted!

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  4:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, We dont have any clover in the pasture he is in. The fecals are clean. I am wondering about EPE or Barber pole? What doseage of Bay cox,Cydectin and pantoprazole do I use and how often?

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2011 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

'll give you the doses we have used for stuff but I'm not a vet so I would check with your vet for anything. If a fecal is clean I'd be hesitant although for sure emac can be tricky to pick up and barber pole larvae can kill them with out shedding an egg. I'd check for anemia before treating for that. The treatment for epe is oxytet, 20 mg per kg under the skin every 3 days for five treatments. The treatment for emac is baycox or albon or corrid. although to be honest I've not had the best luck with baycox for emac. I sometimes wonder if I have real baycox though. Dose that we have used for the piglet baycox is 4 mls for 22 pounds. I prefer albon and the dose for that is 12.5% albon 5.5 mls day per 50 pounds first day, 2.75 mls per 50 pounds next 4 days wait 5 days and then repeat for five days. I don't usually use corrid but if you do give injectable thiamine. We almost never use cydectin it makes me a tad nervous I used safeguard at 50mgs per kg and that has generally worked. I did have an animal come in with resistant barber pole and we used cydectin sheep drench and the dose was double the sheep dose. You need an exact weight for cydectin it does not have the safety margin that safeguard has. I don't know the dose on pantoprazole off hand I'm away from the farm and don't have that one at hand, I'd check with your vet on that one.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Ann

and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  2:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WE had the vet out to do an all over exam on our 2 really thin boys. We determined that they had overly sharp molars. We floated them and one boy is improving. The second I think I am losing. He is EXTREMELY thin. The fecals came back normal, no temp, pink eye lids and gums. He wont eat a thing. We had a horrible storm last Friday and after that seems to be going down hill fast. We found him after the storm laying in an awkward position. We helped him up but things were not right. We got him out of the barn an on to grass. He stood their with his neck stretched out and was looking straight up in the air. We think he is having seizures too, we have been giving thiamine and electrolytes via syringe. We were thinking that something happened neurologically during the storm, stress, lightening, noise? The vet pretty much told us this is common near the end of an extended illness and that he is dying. I am not ready to give up so any suggestions would be great. We are now giving zantac, and other otc stomach meds (I asked about possible ulcers I think I am being pacified by the vet) and I am picking baytril up after work in case of infection.

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  3:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Katy, I'm so sorry about your boy. I just wanted to ask for clarification - you said you're giving thiamine and electrolytes by syringe - I hope that's just the electrolytes - the thiamine needs to be injected to do any good. If he's not eating, he may have hepatic lipidosis and/or PEM - it's critical to keep his rumen going or restart it. A rumen transfer would be ideal, and you might want to give thiamine in large doses every couple of hours pretty much around the clock for a day or two.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  4:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'd switch to injectable thiamine and I think a transfaunation would be great but if not an on farm spit transfer is a terrific idea. Do you have a spitty girl or boy you can get to donate (nice clean towel over the face and just get them to spit). Squeeze the spit out into a cup of water (102 degrees) and then syringe it in. You need to get his rumen working fast. I'd also try to get some calories into him. I'd make a paste of fibrevive and make a slurry of that and get it into him with a dose syringe. Even make a paste of alpaca pellets and water. Make nice grassy hay into little balls and put them in his mouth and see if he will then chew and swallow. Sometimes a change in hay works to get them going, try alfalfa hay. I'd also give him a shot of b-complex (again an injection rather than oral) that can stimulate the appetite. I'd also start him on injectable pantoprazole for ulcers.

Good luck,

Ann

and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  4:57:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oops sorry, We are injecting the thiamine and syringing the electrlytes in to his mouth. I dont have fibrevive on hand and have to have it shipped, I am not sure how much time we have. I do have calf manna I could saok and make a slurry. I guess something is better then nothing. I am wondering if we should be giving baytril or LA 200?

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  4:59:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add he has good gut sound, we can hear it from across the barn.

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
Go to Top of Page

katy

116 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  5:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit katy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have the Pantoprazole doseage? And how often to give it? I am on my way to the vet center after work. Please email me directly at mkholland@redred.com as I wont be at my computer. also we were told to give 6 ccs of Baytril any idea how often? I am not wanting to purchase a full bottle right now. Thanks!

Katy Holland
Alpacas of Holland Acres
32749 800th ave
Olivia, MN 56277
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your vet should certainly give you dosages when recommending medications to give...I have never used either..so I hope your vet helps you..or soimeone here chimes in quickly.

Debbie Potter
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,532 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!