Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Electrolytes - What's best?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marceels1968

139 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since most of the country is gripped in this stifling heat wave, I wanted to see what breeders out there use electrolytes, and if so, what kind.

To date, I've never used them, but am giving it consideration as this weather is not supposed to break for a while.

Let me know your thoughts.

Marcee L. Stephenson
Criation Station Alpaca Farm
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.usaalpaca.com

KT

628 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  11:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tend to you the granular type for horses, mixing one scoop (about the size that you use for a coffeemaker) per bucket of water. I will leave some buckets plain so they have a choice. I have also used the powdered Gatorade, same directions.
It is supposed to be over 100 today here. Really awful.

Kate

Beech Springs Alpacas
126 Arthur Majette Rd
Aulander, NC 27805
252-332-5642
252-333-9457 (c)
Go to Top of Page

Mary Jane

1150 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  11:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mary Jane's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just use lemon-lime powdered Gatorade. For us, the goal is to get the alpacas to drink extra water. The electrolytes are an added plus. It seems to work--that bucket seems to go first, even though there are 4 other buckets of plain water as easily available to them. I had to refill the Gatorade bucket before I left the barn this morning.
You do need to watch the cleanliness of your electrolyte bucket. It's a perfect place for bacteria to grow, so scrub it a little more often.

Mary Jane

Land of Legends Alpacas
2653 Swans Road
Newark, OH 43055
(740)345-2199
www.alpacanation.com/landoflegends.asp
Go to Top of Page

smonat

93 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  3:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently purchased a bucket of Electro Dex. It's a cherry flavored electrolyte supplement for horses. The instruction says to mix 2 ounces of powered to 10 gallons of water. Does anyone know if this would be the same dosage for alpacas? One of my girls is struggling with this heat and I've never seen her drink so much. I just put out a bucket of Electro Dex and water according to directions. She immediately went to that bucket and is guzzling it down. Just wondering if I should use the horse dosage.

Sue

Sue Monat
Happy Hearts Alpacas
Brimfield, MA
Go to Top of Page

BOlsen

93 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a powered product called "Vi-tal" by Ideal Animal Health which I purchase at our local farm store. It is a water soluble vitamin, electrolyte and has some minerals too and comes in a 6 ounce packet. I use 1 tsp per 5 gallons and I use it year round. Keeps them drinking in the heat and during the cold months.

Brian Olsen
Haven Rest Farm, WI
Go to Top of Page

tortkid43

534 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  10:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The absolute BEST product there is for your alpacas or any farm animal is called AquaZyme Plus.....I have used it for 4 years including 2009 65 days of 100 or more and this year with already 37 days of 100 or more and not one issue!!

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

bturner

181 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  10:45:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit bturner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use the apple flavored electrolytes from Town and Country. I think you can get them at TSC also. One scoop per bucket of water. they seem to like it.

Brian

Brian and Joy Turner
Our Little World Alpacas LLC
Grafton, OH
http://www.alpacanation.com/ourlittleworld.asp
www.ourlittleworldalpacas.com
(440) 477-4300
(440) 724-7070
Go to Top of Page

rgoss1

663 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  10:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone has used a homemade receipe for electrolytes? I found this one of the internet:

8 Tablespoons Sugar
4 Teaspoons Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
5 quarts water

Roxanne Goss
Lands End Alpacas LLC
Vermilion, Ohio
gossr@roadrunner.com 440-225-4138
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,547 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!