Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Dwarf Alpaca?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fererro

59 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  8:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a male alpaca born on September 25th about 2 weeks early. His mom was a 1st time mom and not like some of the female that stay right by their cria. At about 3 days we noticed he was acting funny and his eyes looked odd. Had the vet come out & he is blind and must have some neurological problems because he holds his head funny and walks around in circles sometimes. We gave him some meds in case of infection, but we really didn't think he would make it. He is now almost 6 months old, weighs only 16 lbs, but he is not skinny and is a very active little guy. He likes to go outside and run around with the rest of the alpacas, but he does run in circles. The guard dogs are really good to him and stay really close and even lick him. The vet like us didn't believe he would make it through the winter. We put a coat on him when it's cold, but when the temp is 45 or above we take it off and he likes to lay outside and get sun. He is the perfect size of a 1 day old cria, but he doesn't have that gangley look. Has anyone every had anything like this and did the animal live to an older age. We would have put him down, but like the vet said, he seems very happy, he nurses, eats hay and doesn't seem in any pain. He hasn't started eating grain, and maybe this will put a little weight on but I can't imagine it will help that much.

Thanks
Lisa Fererro
Big River Alpacas
Fletcher Mo

ard

1813 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  9:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,
I'm with the vet. As long as he is healthy and happy, I would keep him. We would take him after he is weaned if you didn't want to keep him. We have a blind alpaca we keep with 2 geldings and he does very well. Call us.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp, www.alpacastreet.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

meadowsong

310 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lisa,
Have you had his thyroid checked?

Diane Pedrotte
Meadowsong Alpacas
Capac, MI
meadowsongalpacas@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  09:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would check thyroid, as well as selenium and vitamin D. I had one last that was very small, at about 30 pounds at 6 months, but wow, yours is really tiny. Keep us updated on him once in a while.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Rehbock

172 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  1:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a little guy just like this. I had a male escape into the pregnant momma pasture and chase them round and round-stressing everyone out. Some lost their pregnancies but this momma held on and her cria was born blind. His Iris muscle didn't work right, but with time, that healed and he regained his vision. He never got bigger than 50 lbs. Had all sorts of tests done and the vet could find nothing wrong. I think he was a few years old when he "crashed". I took him to a camelid vet who stated that "he is going to die, they always do at this age, we would have diagnosed him as failure to thrive." In the process of giving him fluids he died. So, I wonder, did the stress that his mother had in late term pregnancy cause some damage that could not be discovered? I would love to see a study following little guys like these to determine what causes it. My little guy seemed happy and healthy until the very end.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

fererro

59 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2012 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The vet was thinking he might have been kicked by one of the pen mates because he seemed normal until about 3 days. He very well might be a failure to thrive because his mom was not very protective at all. We didn't have any testing done because we actually thought he would not make it. He is the cutest little thing and he is the 1st thing everyone come to when they come to the farm. He looks like he is actually just 1 day old. I was just wondering if there was such a thing as a dwarf alpaca

Lisa Fererro
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  12:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a picture?
You should test his thyroid..medication may change his life...would love to see him..

Debbie Potter
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

Go to Top of Page

fererro

59 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2012 :  7:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put some pics of wit on our website. He is such a hoot. He got his shots yesterday and really spits like a big boy

http://www.alpacanation.com/memberservices/03_view_alpaca.aspx?name=161018

Lisa Fererro
Fletcher Mo
Go to Top of Page

rackapaca

663 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not get that link to work, I tried several times and still can't get it. What is your farm name, I would love to see the pictures.

Ruthann
Racka Paca Ranch
Kila, MT
Go to Top of Page

davemartin88

27 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  6:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I wasn't able to view the pictures either and would love to see the little guy. We have a 6 month old alpaca that weighs about 22 pounds, he's eating better now and gaining a bit of weight but I have my doubts that he'll catch up to others?

Dave M.
Hidden Bend Retreat
Romney, WV
Go to Top of Page

fererro

59 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  9:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Farm name is Big River alpacas and his name is Wit.

Lisa Fererro
Big River Alpacas
Fletcher Mo
Go to Top of Page

Lee

384 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  06:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very handsome little guy. Hoping for the best for him.

Lee Ann Hammer
Magnolia Hill Alpacas
West Point, VA.

larryhamm@gmail.com
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wit is just adorable...I wish him a long life with you!

Debbie Potter
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

Go to Top of Page

rackapaca

663 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  1:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a cutie -- best wishes to Wit for a happy life!

Ruthann
Racka Paca Ranch
Kila, MT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,553 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!