Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forum Archives
 Alpaca Healthcare and Nutrition (Archive)
 ringworm
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Donna Lawson

9 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  3:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi: A few weeks after we had our alpacas sheared by a professional shearer, some of them began to show signs of ringworm on their underbellies. We have never had ringworm problems at our farm before and are very upset. We are treating it with iodine washes and lamisil and hoping our three year old son doesn't contract it. Does anyone have any experience with this? How long does it take to clear up? What kinds of precautions can we take in the future? How do we get it out of our barn? Any suggestions and/or war stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donna

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  6:43:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Donna,
I have never heard of ringworm in alpacas, I'd get the vet out to diagnose it and give solutions.

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Donna Lawson

9 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  6:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rick:

Thanks for the input. Our vet thought it was ringworm. But she doesn't do that much with camlids. We don't have any vets around here that have alot of experience with alpacas but she is willing to learn. Do you know of any other type of skin infection it could be? It's only on two of their underbellies and it's real scaly and some lesions are circular and some aren't.

Thanks, Donna
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2005 :  7:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I googled it, and found some info
http://www.google.com/search?q=ringworm+llama

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Kate

291 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  11:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage
I have a 7 year old female with a zinc deficiency which seems to have predisposed her to ringworm. We did get a positive result on the fungal culture- it's a fungus, may not be ringworm, though.
We have been supplementing with Zinpro for months, and spraying with an antifungal/antiseptic spray once or twice daily, but now are seeing better results using Malaseb shampoo
(also antifungal/antiseptic, from our small animal practice.) I put it in a brand new garden sprayer, attach it to the hose, and soak her legs and belly with it every 3 days.
This is an easy treatment, since we're spraying them with cold water in the heat, anyway, she doesn't even realize whats going on!

I was also told I could use a rose anti-fungal powder, by one vet, and another vet said that scrubbing the area daily with surgical scrub, like Chlorhexidine, was highly effective, and helped get rid of dry, scabby areas. That's not really possible with this girl- she cushes at the drop of a hat!
I am seeing improvement after a couple of weeks of spraying with the shampoo- you can also just wipe it on, according to Dr Wagner.
The best of luck to you!

Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Go to Top of Page

Donna Lawson

9 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2005 :  11:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info! I think I will try the shampoo spray technique. The daily iodine baths are getting difficult to keep up with plus the animals are really stressed by it. We haven't had a culture to verify the type of fungus, just the vet taking a look at it. I've seen ringworm before in other animals and this does look and act a little different so maybe it's a slightly different type of fungus. In any event, thank you very much for your advice! Quick question . . . do you have to rinse the shampoo or do you just leave it on after you've sprayed it?

Thanks, again!

Donna
Go to Top of Page

Kate

291 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  10:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kate's Homepage
Initially I was rinsing it off after 10 minutes, but recently, since it's being diluted in the sprayer I have decided to just leave it on. The vet that suggests shampoo as the treatment just tells you to rub it onto the areas- similar to the Chlorhexidine tx.
:) Kate
PS- What surface do you have in your barn?
Go to Top of Page

marym

65 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2005 :  12:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit marym's Homepage
Hi!!

I've never had ringworm in my pacas, but I have had it on my dogs. I use an anti bacterial/anti fungal spray called blue kote. It dries the area and after about four application there is a noticable difference. You can find Blue Kote at many of the livestock suppliers.

Mary

Mary E. Meacher
Walnut Valley Alpacas
96 Ashdown Road
Ballston Lake, New York 12019
www.walnutvalleyalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Peggy McKee

88 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  2:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick word of warning, protect yourself with gloves whenever handling any of these substances. They are all good products but you don't know what you may react to. I have a vicious skin reaction to Blue Kote even though most people have absolutely no problem with it. I react if I touch an animal within 24 hours of application.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,560 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!