All Forums
 Forum Archives
 General Alpaca Discussion (Archive)
 Obstacle Course Design
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pastoral Profits

3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  04:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pastoral Profits's Homepage
Hi All,
We want to build a paca obstacle course and wondered if any of you have already done so and have any plans/designs that could give a quick start to our efforts?
Thanks,
Sandi Nesbit

kdennig

355 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdennig's Homepage
Sandi, built mine last year & it has worked out well. Let me say up front that whether I'm in the paddock or out in the real world, safety is uppermost in my mind for the alpacas & me!

I started simple, mainly with material I had on hand. I purchased 10 pieces of 2"X10' PVC & a piece of sturdy plywood. I got some wood pallets & wire spools from an electrical wholesaler--they were happy to let me have them so they didn't have to haul them off! Everything is light weight & portable to I can move it to the side to mow. My bridge starts out as the plywood on the ground & I increase the height by putting pallets under it. I use 4 pieces of PVC to make a "L" shape for backing & side-passing. I stack 5 pieces of PVC helter-skelter like a pile of timber for the pacas to pick their way through. I use whatever I have for different footing (empty feed sacks/bags, a piece of plastic, an old sheet). I find alpacas really don't like different/unknown footing so use as many footings as I can find. I set 6 wire spools on their flat sides spaced evenly apart to make a weaving pattern. I stand an umbrella up in a spool & lay a towel/blanket across one. I set 2 spools on their sides & keep them from rolling by blocking them with scrap pieces of 2X4's & I run a piece of PVC through the center openings in the spool to make a jump. The bigger the spool, the taller the jump. I set up a couple panels against the fence forming a 3 sided narrow pen. I drape sheets, plastic, plastic flagging, bubble wrap to pop, crepe paper, or whatever I have that will blow in the wind & make some noise. I also use it to simulate a trailer. I've got some old tires to walk through (don't really like these because of water retention & mosquitoes). I bought a hula hoop & full length mirror at Wal-Mart.

I put this all up in a paddock. I just use my imagination, start real simple & add to it as the alpaca gains confidence in itself & trust in me. Once they've reached this level I take them out of the paddock & in to the real world for walks. We live on a lake so I walk them out on the pier. My husband is a farmer with all sorts of trailers (flatbed & livestock) so they get loaded in & out of every type of trailer I come across. I walk up & down hills, out in the fields, between parked vehicles or pieces of equipment, on the concrete, in the gravel. Anything to get them used to different sights, sounds, smells & footing. The pacas really enjoy venturing out for walks.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Oh, I forgot something -- HAVE FUN!

Kally.

Kally Dennig
Cushy Alpacas
Ferriday, LA kally@natchezelectric.com
www.alpacanation.com/cushyalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Pamela

135 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  7:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pamela's Homepage
I have just finished a new course. I used tree limbs for walking over obsticales, a plastic sheet on the ground, t-posts for weaving through, two fence panels for a narrow shoot, wood posts and cement blocks for jumps, and ground paint for lines. I also like to put down straw of twiggs to make them think about footing. Hope this helps. I like to make all my alpacas go through a course now and then.
Go to Top of Page

Pastoral Profits

3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pastoral Profits's Homepage
Hi Pamela and Kalley,
Thank you both so much. I can't wait!!! This is going to be sooooo much fun and a lot less dangerous than training my arabian horse as a three year old crazy creature! I especially love the creative side of it Kally. As a matter of fact, I think this is one of THE most creative things I've ever done. Wish you lived closer!

Again...thank you both!!!!!
Sandi
Go to Top of Page

Pastoral Profits

3 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  10:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pastoral Profits's Homepage
Sandi here again...the alpaca business as one of THE most creative things I've ever done. Easy to mis-represent one's self here isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2956 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  12:14:30 AM  Show Profile
My kids teach the young ones how to walk up the deck steps and back down whenever they are walking them. It helps build trust too.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
Go to Top of Page

dlamarche

51 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit dlamarche's Homepage
Sandi,

If you go Camelidynamics.com, click on articles and then click on Caravan of Confidence, it gives you plans for a great obstacle. I have not yet made one myself, but I used it at one of Marty McGee's clinics and it was great. When I get my animals home I plan on making this for my animals as well as some of the things Kally mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Donna
Royal Oaks Alpacas
Bryan, TX 77808
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,522 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!