All Forums
 Forum Archives
 General Alpaca Discussion (Archive)
 DROOLING ALPACA
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jolee

283 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jolee's Homepage  Send jolee an ICQ Message
I have a new mom who has always sat in front of the one water bucket in side the barn. The last two days she has been drooling. I know it is hot but our barn stays pretty cool with all the fans. I touch and feel under their fleece to see if they are hot and as long as they stay inside during the day they are fine. No change in grain or hay and we do add to the water and I keep it cool all the time.

I know of other alpacas who even fall to sleep in front of the water buckets as if we were going to take it away from them. I was just wondering if any of your alpacas have been open mouth drooling with this heat. Thanks Jo

LostValleyAlpacas

258 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  3:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit LostValleyAlpacas's Homepage
I've not noticed drooling, unless they've just taken a drink and they are slobbering some of it out. I've also had some alpacas "camp out" at the water buckets, most do not. It is usually hot out when they do this. I think about hosing my alpacas off when it's starts to hit 80 degrees. She may not feel hot to you, but look to see if her nostrils are flaring.

Sharon Weber
Lost Valley Alpaca Ranch
Dexter, OR
(541) 937-1343
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2005 :  4:01:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,
The droolong doesn't concern me as much as the open mouth does. I'd be concerned that she's heat stressed
Here are some tips that I wrote up a while back regarding preparing for summer births, it may also be helpful in your current situation.
Note, as always, if in doubt, call your vet

Shearing: Forget the show fleeces, forget the fiber, it's not important. If they were shorn in April, and she's due in September, it is not written anywhere that they can only be shorn once. Get the belly, chest, and mid way up the blanket fiber off. A few passes with electric shears will do the trick while they're standing, even if it takes a couple of days, not a problem. You will have a goofy looking alpaca that feels MUCH better.

Electrolytes: They do sweat, so they do need minerals replaced. Adding electrolytes to the water replaces them, much as gatorade would for you. While some people actually use gatorade, I prefer something like "Stop Stress" available at Useful and other suppliers, as the #1 ingredients in gatorade are sugars which attract flies, bees, ants, and other bugs.
A note on electrolytes: I have heard people say that you should give a choice of water with and without, as some alpacas won't like the taste. I had not heard that when I had my first summer so I put electrolytes in all of the buckets. Apparently, the alpacas hadn't heard that either, they all drank the water with no hesitation. I continue to do all the buckets, with the reasoning that it may be the alpaca that needs them most that doesn't like the taste. I didn't like the lime flavored water at first, but once I got used to it, I actually kind of like it.
Keep the water buckets out of the sun as much as possible, and placing a block of ice in some can also help.
Make sure there are enough buckets so they don't need to fight over it.

Free choice minerals such as Stillwater or Cache le Poudre are also a must. Don't sweat it if they don't go for them right away, they'll know when they need them. It's not uncommon to see them untouched for a couple of weeks and then devoured in a day.

Belly hosing: As much as is necessary. I have automatic sprinklers that can be used for a backup, but I do prefer the "Rick-O-Matic belly hosing system" as it gives me the opportunity to interact with them, check them out, and cool myself off also.
The automatic sprinkler system with a simple garden hose and battery operated timer can be purchased at home Depot for about $50. The "Rick-O-Matic belly hosing system" is not available in stores. (You knew that was coming)

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

LostValleyAlpacas

258 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  6:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit LostValleyAlpacas's Homepage
This morning I was reading the pasture & hay section in Dr. Evan's book. Do you have red or white clover in your pasture or hay? It can cause alpacas to slobber uncontrollably. This a quote from his book:

"Clovers also cause alpacas to slobber uncontrollably. Saliva is alkaline and usually goes with food to the stomach, so prolonged clover intake with salivation could cause a more acidic stomach and increase the possibility of ulcers. Only about 10% of alpacas slobber from clover intake, but it is a difficult to predict which on will be allergic prior to consumption." "Removing slobbering alpacas from clover hay or pasture as well as adding grass hay will often correction the irritation in about 24 hours."

"Red Clover
I see more salivation in alpacas consuming red clover hay. An irritating fungus infects the heads of red clover and causes irritation and salivations. I do not recommend red clover in any alpaca pasture or hay."

from Page 147 in Alpaca Field Manual by C. Norman Evans, D.V.M.

Sharon Weber
Lost Valley Alpaca Ranch
Dexter, OR
(541) 937-1343
Go to Top of Page

jolee

283 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  8:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit jolee's Homepage  Send jolee an ICQ Message
Thanks Sharon, We have very little clover in our pastures and she has been in these pastures for months now and she is the only one doing the drooling. I still think it has to be her way of sweating and half the time her mouth is opened any way even in the winter months. She doesn't seem stressed at all and no other changes in her.

It has been so hot the last week I have been doing belly baths almost every other hr. They love it so any way. Even added two more fans which I don't think they needed but I will do what it takes to keep them all happy.

Lets all hope this heat leaves us soon. Thanks again for all the advice JO

ALPACAS4U2C
alpacas4u2c@dnet.net
Lee & Joanne Mansfield
706-745-7344
www.alpacanation.com/alpacas4u2c.asp
4011 CJ Calico Ln.
Blairsville, Ga 30512
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  11:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jo,
with the current heat index you have, do stay on top of this.
There are some bad situations currently happening in Fl and Georgia.
Just in case, I'd get some Pedialite in stock, and as always, if ANY doubt, get a vet

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,529 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!