Forum Archives
 General Alpaca Discussion (Archive)
 short nose vs long nose
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

melo

85 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  8:40:44 PM  Show Profile
After thinking about the judge's comment this weekend about a shorter nose being more desirable, I'm a little miffed. That sounds a little "peruvian" to me. Are we expected to breed for noses? I thought since we were raising fiber animals, we should be concerned about quality and color?! Just my two cents.

Deb Obermeyer
Mel-O Alpacas
Morning Mist Farm
23164 Vote Road
Batesville, IN 47006
812-934-3344
mobermey@seidata.com

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Deb,
I read of your first show, but didn't comment, I'd hoped there were more comments that would be helpful.
FYI, one of the shortest noses we ever had here was a Chilean import.
That said, in a show with a couple of yearling suris, the judge's only comments were "they're at a distinct disavantage because they've been shorn." We do shear our suris every year.
I was miffed at first, but it's just one judge, one show, one opinion.

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  10:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage

Hi Deb,

I know not everyone agrees with this, but your situation shows to me that the 50/50 rule should be rethought, and the show standard (or breed standard, or whatever you want to call it) needs to be an "ideal" rather than judging them against each other. Some kind of standardization needs to happen - all the breed standards I have seen call for a medium length muzzle, but if the judge you have has a liking for the super short ones...

I think its wonderful that alpaca judges give a critique at all. WIth my dogs, I just have to guess.

Heidi

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

vlyons

670 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  02:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit vlyons's Homepage
Well don't get too bent by the judge's comments. He was expressing a subjective PERSONAL opinion. There's nothing on the score card about nose length or style. If your animal has 2 nostrils, it has an ok nose.

If you think that judge was coo-coo, I just had one say that my animal standing at the end of the judging line WITHOUT a ribbon had the softest fleece in the class. This was for a paca that has always placed well at every show.

Fortunately, I managed to bite my tongue and refrain from making a wise crack.

Virginia Lyons
Able Oaks Ranch Alpacas
Rusk, Texas
www.ableoaks.com
contact@ableoaks.com
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Having been to so many dog shows that I've lost count(lost three times this week, and I'm not used to that) I know that you have to just let things like that judge's comments, roll off your back like water off a duck. Of course, if you continue to get the same comments from one judge after another, you might want to take another look at your animal. That is what I do with my dogs, and will do the same with my Alps.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

mec

417 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  09:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit mec's Homepage
It's happened to most of us. Most judges politely give reasons why your alpaca placed lower but usually include positive comments too. For those that don't and are unnecessarily insulting in their manner of giving reasons, I place them on "the list" of judges for alpaca shows under the headings of "never". The other headings are: acceptable, not yet shown under, and depends(on the alpaca is to be shown). I may not like the results of some placings but can sometimes see that, once explained, they are reasonable. Those judges are listed under "depends".
That doesn't mean that I won't support a show. Everyone has other avenues of participating: fleece, spinoffs, farm displays with fiber samples, pictures and finished products for sale and volunteering. All are a more positive way of advertising your farm than being in a ring under negative comments from a poor judge.
I don't know about the rest of you, but many times I'm just stunned by some placings and leave wondering why certain beautiful alpacas placed poorly or not at all, while those placed had obvious minor or major faults. In some cases, I've visited the owner at the show to get a closer look and wondered why even more. Personal subjectivity will never be eliminated from judging unless scientific measurement can be the determining means in at least the fiber score.
Just keep in mind that you chose your alpacas for attributes that pleased you and suited the plan you have for your farm. Don't let a judge or two change that.

Peggy Chaillet
Alpacaville Farm
peggy@chaillet.org
www.alpacanation.com/alpacaville.asp
Go to Top of Page

donnaloy

6 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  12:19:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi Deb, I have to agree with you. What are we breeding for anyway? Not anything to do with noses that I know of. We are a fiber industry. Why are we turning this into a formal dog and pony show? I am trying to breed healthy, fine, crimpy, well conformed animals. Anything beyond that makes no sense to me. Just my opinion. Donna

grapevine farm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,530 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!