Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forum Archives
 Alpaca Healthcare and Nutrition (Archive)
 cria poop
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stephanie Brown

32 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile
My 6 day old cria seemed to be straining at the poop pile. Her poop was a almost in a long pellet shape and was reddish/orange in color. Any comments are most helpful.

mec

417 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  8:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit mec's Homepage
If it were me, I would call the vet. The cost far outweighs taking a chance that something is left untreated. Crias can go downhill fast. Having lost one myself and although there wasn't anything that could have changed things, I would do the same again.
I hope all goes well for you.
Best of luck,

Peggy Chaillet
Alpacaville Farm
peggy@chaillet.org
www.alpacanation.com/alpacaville.asp
Go to Top of Page

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2006 :  9:57:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
Hi Stephanie,

Peggy is right that you should call the vet if you are ever concerned about your alpaca's health. I will say, though, that "peanut butter poop" is quite common in crias of this age!!

Take care,

Jane.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839
Go to Top of Page

topogego

8 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2006 :  11:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit topogego's Homepage
Hi there, you may want to take a sample into the vet to have it checked. Sometimes babies get scours but that is usually a mustard color. The vet won't do anything until the test results come back. Happy poop collecting.
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2006 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile
Late reply, agreed on the vet, but it does sound like left over meconium to me.

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

alpacaknitter

27 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile
What is scours? Is it serious? How is it treated? Is the word scours a common word for a more technical/medical term that I may have come across in one of the books on alpaca health care?

And, what is peanut butter poop? Is it something that needs treatment? The comment that it "is quite common in crias of this age" makes it sound like no biggie.

As a newbie in the alpaca business it would be very helpful if more information is given in the replies. We have our first cria on our farm this year and today I experienced an eight day old cria with mustard colored poop. I came here to see what the more experienced breeders have to say about it. Of course I will take a sample to the vet but wanted to have some information up front.

Ken & Rise Biggs
Liberty Alpacas of Tennessee
Where Alpacas Come to Live the Good Life
http://alpacanation.com/libertyalpacasofTN.asp
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  3:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Scours is diarrhea, just a lot easier to spell.
Peanut butter poop has the consistency of peanut butter.
Yellow is a normal color, until they eat grass.
Diarrhea should be watched out for, especially this time of year, as a cria can quickly dehydrate.
For new breeders, the number one cause of diarrhea in crias is that the owners reward the mom with too many treats, mom's milk is too rich, cria gets diarrhea

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!

Edited by - allamericanalpacas on 06/26/2006 7:45:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

alpacaknitter

27 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  3:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rick. We don't give extra treats to our alpacas but we did just move the girls to a greener pasture. The nursery pasture was getting in pretty bad shape with the lack of rain here. Since moving them to the new pasture they've been grazing more and eating less hay. We did start out with just short bits of time on the good grass each day before moving them back to the dead zone. Boy did that upset them. Never heard so much humming from that bunch. Yesterday they were moved to the new pasture permanently. Today was the first time I noticed the yellow poop. This little guy does nurse a lot too. Mom doesn't get any time off.

Ken & Rise Biggs
Go to Top of Page

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  07:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
After crias pass the black meconium, their first poops are often the color of peanut butter and the consistency of toothpaste. Then they firm up into pellets and become darker, like little grains of black rice. Apologies for the food analogies, but they are at least descriptive!!

While it always pays to be cautious, and you should check the temperature any time the poop is "off", your cria's yellow poop is probably due to the rich milk from his dam having fresh new grass to eat. We try to keep the mother on the same diet, and treat the cria with Pepto and UAA Gel, which is a charcoal / clay paste that absorbs toxins and helps settle the stomach. Intestinal parasites can also cause these symptoms - we worm our crias on the same schedule as the rest of our herd from the day they are born.

Jane.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839
Go to Top of Page

alpacaknitter

27 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jane. The vet agreed that it is probably the mother's milk being too rich. We're treating him accordingly and hopefully today will see improvement. Other than the poop he is a happy healthy little guy doing all the usual cria things; running, nursing, pronking, gaining weight. It's such a joy to watch the three crias interacting.

Ken & Rise Biggs
Go to Top of Page

francesj

44 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  3:32:12 PM  Show Profile
I was about to ask a similar question. I have read through all the answers and have the following to add/ask. I have a one day old. By the time I found him, he was running around, nursing, the dam had passed the placenta, etc. and it was only 8 am! Textbook. Mum is well bagged up, had the colostrum, and has plenty of milk (I checked her). He just passed a very loose, basically the consistency of whipping cream (food analogy again!), bright yellow poop (ochre color). Having nursed my human babies, I am familiar with very loose, bright yellow stool! The dam is also grazing on some newer, rich grass. I am pretty confident that her colostrum/milk is rich and he is adjusting. He looks and acts great. Of course, if this continues and his stool doesn't firm up soon, I will have to reconsider. Any comments, please? Do you think my assessment is on track?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,560 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!