Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forum Archives
 Alpaca Healthcare and Nutrition (Archive)
 Stillborn twins
 Forum Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RobinB

72 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile
We went to the barn yesterday about 11am to find that one of our girls had aborted her cria (305 days). We watched as she tried to pass her placenta (we thought) to find out she was carrying twins. Both were stillborn-both females #1 was 2.6 lbs and #2 was 5.8lbs. We are very sad to lose the crias but glad to know the reason-alpacas just don't carry twins to term. Both crias looked perfectly normal, just too small. Our concern now is that she is having problems with the placenta-she passed some within a few hours and more somewhere between midnight and 3am but this morning she still has what looks like a cord hanging from her vulva. Our question is-when does this become a real concern (our vet has never known of alpacas to have trouble passing placenta). Should we intervene? whats the chance of infection? and what meds would be best for prevention or treatment? and last-if no infection or other problems develop-when can we rebreed her? would it be same schedule as a regular birth? Thanks so much in advance for your help, advise and experience.
Ace & Robin
B4 Alpacas LLC
3742 S Locust
Grand Island NE
308-395-8307

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
Hi Robin,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your twins. They rarely carry to term, but it must still be very disappointing.

If your dam has not passed the placenta, you could ask your vet about giving her a shot of oxytoxcin to help that along. Would also seriously consider having an experienced camelid veterinarian give your dam a uterine flush, to clean out any remaining parts of the placenta. Your vet may also recommend a course of antibiotics and advise when to rebreed in this particular case, based on your dam's condition.

I'm no vet, but if she were ours, that is what we would do.

Jane.

P.S. Whatever you do, DON'T pull on that cord hanging from her vulva!!! You don't want to risk damaging your girl's uterus.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839

Edited by - janechristie on 03/28/2006 12:15:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

mec

417 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit mec's Homepage
Hi Robin,
I'm also sorry for your loss. Been there this year too.
Jane has given you great advise. In a past situation on my farm, that is exactly what was advised and done by experienced longtime camelid vets.
After that treatment period and some tears completely healed, she was bred, took right away and just gave her new owner a black cria.
All the best,

Peggy Chaillet
Alpacaville Farm
peggy@chaillet.org
www.alpacanation.com/alpacaville.asp
Go to Top of Page

vlyons

670 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  7:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit vlyons's Homepage
Yes, give her an oxytocin shot, aka, "a clean up shot". Oxytocin also aids in letting down milk when the dams give birth to a normal cria.

Take her temperature twice a day for a week to monitor that she doesn't have an infection.

Virginia Lyons
Able Oaks Ranch Alpacas
Rusk, Texas
www.ableoaks.com
contact@ableoaks.com
Go to Top of Page

RobinB

72 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  5:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for everyones help-I didn't mean to sound like my vet doesn't know anything-he is a very good camelid vet-I talked to him today & he also perscribed the oxytocin shot and will do a spec in a couple weeks or so to make sure all looks okay before rebreeding. Thanks Virginia for the idea of taking her temp. I had thought of that also-it's always good to have someone confirm the idea. Will keep everyone informed on how it goes. I had read that Dr Anderson was interested in getting stats on twin pregnancies-does anyone know if that is still the case and if so-WHERE IS HE??-Icould give him the details. THANKS AGAIN

Robin
B4 Alpacas LLC
Grand Island NE
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4008 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  7:39:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message
One of the other vets at Ohio State U. was collecting the data on it -- I can't recall her name but if you called OSU and asked for the name of the gal, I'm sure they'd give it to you. She wanted things like weights, lengths, duration of gestation, and I think gender but I'm not sure about that. I had my vet call her with the stats from the twins I lost last year after she did the necropsy on the 20-pounder to see why he hadn't been viable.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm Alpacas, Fleece & Flowers
2473 Bunker Hill Rd.
P. O. Box 33
Steamburg, NY 14783
(716) 354-6355
A Holistic Management Farm
Conducting a Symphony of Quality, Value and Customer Care
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Betsy

38 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2006 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile
The vet you need to contact at OSU is Dr. Claire Whitehead...I believe she was a teaching assistant of Dr. Anderson's at one time, and and is handling the study on twinning. We have had aborted twins sent to her by our vet in the past, and I'm sure any info you could give her on your recent twins would be appreciated. The e-mail address I have for her is: whitehead.71@osu.edu

Betsy Nelson
Chosen Few Alpacas
Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,529 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!