Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forum Archives
 Alpaca Healthcare and Nutrition (Archive)
 Alpaca past due date
 Forum Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  1:32:12 PM  Show Profile
My Alpaca is driving me up the wall. Her 350th day was Tuesday. How much longer shall I wait before calling the vet? She is huge, but shows no sign of impending birth. Is she trying to drive me nuts? She is a first timer. Her mom is due April 8th(350th day) and she has always delivered at 11.5 months. Help.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739

Janice

87 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  2:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Janice's Homepage
Hi Christiane,

You have time to go. If you search in past topics in this forum you will hear that some dams will go over 400 days and still have healthy crias. If your female is showing no signs of pain, like excessive rolling, then I wouldn't call the vet just yet.

Hang in there. Believe me I know it's hard to be patient.

Janice Buttitta
desertmtnalpacas@yahoo.com
www.desertmtnalpacas.com
www.alpacanation.com/desertmtnalpacas.asp
520-378-3263
"Today's Fiber for Tomorrow's Fashion"
Go to Top of Page

vlyons

670 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2006 :  6:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit vlyons's Homepage
365 days in a year minus 350 days from breeding IS 11.5 months.

Be patient. Your girl is going to domino soon and give you a beautiful cria. Were I you, I would look in on her every few hours, and make a midnight run to the barn to check on her. No doubt, you're already doing this.

Virginia Lyons
Able Oaks Ranch Alpacas
Rusk, Texas
www.ableoaks.com
contact@ableoaks.com
Go to Top of Page

LostValleyAlpacas

258 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  10:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit LostValleyAlpacas's Homepage
We had one of our females that always went 347 days. One year she went 366 days! We named the littler girl LVAR Sweet Tyme... cause she took her sweet time getting here.

Sharon Weber
Lost Valley Alpaca Ranch
Dexter, OR
(541) 937-1343
www.AlpacaNation.com/LostValley.asp
Go to Top of Page

Shady Creek Farm

42 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:02:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shady Creek Farm's Homepage  Send Shady Creek Farm an AOL message  Send Shady Creek Farm a Yahoo! Message
We're in the same boat...we're waiting not only for HER first cria but it's OUR first cria as well! We're about to go nuts waiting!! I hear a lot of talk about a "due date" like it's one day...isn't it true that there's a window of days, like 335-355 days when you can expect delivery?? Our Shannon is holding steady (no signs of impending delivery) at 348 days!

Our patience is wearing thin...but, what else can you do? Nothing but wait some more.

Jon & Phyllis Turner
Shady Creek Farm
1221 NE Pulliam Rd.
Lathrop, MO 64465
816.740.3495 (home)
816.547.4984 (cell)
www.shadycreekfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  09:41:20 AM  Show Profile
Well my girl went 356 days, and she did not have it until 5:30 pm. I was with her when I saw the head appear and one leg. Thank goodness I had taken a neo-natal clinic and had all the stuff needed to help her out. The other front leg was not in the right position, and I had to go in and reposition it. Baby arrived just as the vet, whom I had called on my cell, arrived. Everybody is doing exceptionally well. It was a true black girl weighing in at a hefty 18 pounds.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

alpacastarr

686 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacastarr's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Shady Creek Farm

Our patience is wearing thin...but, what else can you do? Nothing but wait some more.

Jon & Phyllis Turner

Oh, that's an easy one! Here's what you do... decide to take just ONE HOUR to run to the store and pick up some groceries since you haven't left the house once for a month because of nonstop watching her hind end. Be sure and check on her on your way out - she'll be nonchalantly grazing and acting like "what? Who's pregnant?" As soon as you return from the fastest shopping trip outside of game show TV, rush to the barn... the baby will be there, up, dry, nursing and mom will be smirking at you because she fooled you good.

Starr
Venezia Dream Farm
Asheville, NC
Go to Top of Page

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  10:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
Hi Starr,

Isn't that the truth!!

Hi Jon and Phyllis,

As long as you are sure she is pregnant (we figure an ultrasound, where you can visualise the foetus is a pretty good indicator, followed by kicking from the belly area in the third trimester, which is most noticable during and immediately after mealtimes) then it is now a waiting game. In our area, pregnancies do tend to run longer in the Spring and shorter in the Fall. As long as Shannon is eating well, chewing her cud, and behaving normally, it should just be a matter of time before you meet her AJ baby. That should be a great cria - please keep us posted!!

Take care,

Jane.

P.S. Last year, one of our maidens who was bred later in the Spring season than usual after an outside breeding, had a gestation period of 3 days less than one year, so her baby arrived on July 1st. Of course, that is bound to happen when you are hoping for an 11 month pregnancy to avoid the worst heat of the summer....

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839

Edited by - janechristie on 04/09/2006 10:54:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shady Creek Farm

42 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2006 :  1:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shady Creek Farm's Homepage  Send Shady Creek Farm an AOL message  Send Shady Creek Farm a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Shannon is behaving perfectly normal and mealtimes are my favorite...I get to assure myself that yes, she is in fact still pregnant...the cria kicks strong enough to move her entire body (like kids playing inside the van!)

We are really hoping for a birth soon though...with the daddy this cria has (AJ) we want to get it into the world to be ready for the fall show season! The Mid-America show in Topeka is where this kid will make it's debut! We are REALLY excited!

Jon & Phyllis Turner
Shady Creek Farm
1221 NE Pulliam Rd.
Lathrop, MO 64465
816.740.3495 (home)
816.547.4984 (cell)
www.shadycreekfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

Shady Creek Farm

42 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  10:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shady Creek Farm's Homepage  Send Shady Creek Farm an AOL message  Send Shady Creek Farm a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick update...to vent some frustration...we are still waiting for our cria...mom is going to send us both to the funny farm! We just passed our due date window as today is day 356 for her. I was lucky enough to be closeby when she rolled in the dirt yesterday and bared her belly to me so I was able to see her udders and it all appeared full, like as though there was an inverted bowl inside of her there...Not HUGE but I know they don't get huge like a cow does. The area looked like it was full of milk but so far that's the only sign we've seen.

We did a lot of work over the weekend in their pasture so the routine was out of whack both days. I thought that might be enough to send her over the edge and have her deliver or I thought, she's going to play it safe and wait to be sure things settle down before she brings her cria into the world. All I know is that it's making me NUTS!! I'm sure most of you can relate.

Is there anything we need to do at this point...or do we just keep waiting? I know I've heard of alpacas going over a year and the thought of that just makes me want to fall into a heap and cry...Nnooooooooooo!!!!

Jon & Phyllis Turner
Shady Creek Farm
1221 NE Pulliam Rd.
Lathrop, MO 64465
816.740.3495 (home)
816.547.4984 (cell)
www.shadycreekfarm.net
https://www.alpacanation.com/shadycreek.asp
"Now offering Shearing Service to farms in the greater Kansas City area!"
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  11:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, two weeks ago I was waiting for my first-time girl to deliver, she did, is fine, and now I'm being driven up a tree by her mom who is on day 357 today. I thought for sure she would have it today, but no, she wants to keep me in suspense. I went and checked her previous 8 births, and she never birthed on the same day. Some were shorter than 350, some as long as a year. I guess it's kind of like gambling, you never know what number comes up.

Have to go and whelp a litter of puppies for a friend on Thurdsday. Hope she has her baby before that. I guess I will just have to "go to the store".

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

KT

627 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit KT's Homepage
Hang in there everyone! My first timer went on Sunday...day 357! All went well and I now have a bay black little female (with a purple coat) on cushing next to mama.

Kate
Beech Springs Alpacas
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Kate.

I'm still "watching the pot.

Christiane

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2956 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2006 :  12:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Christine,

Relax, you know "a watched pot never boils".

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
3288 Halter Avenue
Newton, Iowa 50208
641-831-3576
alpaca@iowatelecom.net
Go to Top of Page

Shady Creek Farm

42 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  10:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shady Creek Farm's Homepage  Send Shady Creek Farm an AOL message  Send Shady Creek Farm a Yahoo! Message
Still watching the pot here too...day 359 and waiting...

Jon & Phyllis Turner
Shady Creek Farm
1221 NE Pulliam Rd.
Lathrop, MO 64465
816.740.3495 (home)
816.547.4984 (cell)
www.shadycreekfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

RobinB

72 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  11:58:51 AM  Show Profile
So Happy to hear I am not the only one acting like a lunatic when it comes to waiting for cria births. After reading this thread, I can happily say I am like everyone else out there-cancelling trips-running home over my lunch hour (20 miles each way and gas at $2.90 a gal-how stupid is that!!!) and watching for something "different", watching rear ends and waiting, waiting, waiting!! We are at 361 days and 341 days on the only two pregnant girls we have-the first to be born on our farm. Everytime I go out "just to check things" I remind myself--a watched pot never boils!! a watched phone never rings!! Good luck to all!! whats a few more grey hairs if we have live,healthy crias-at this point I don't even care if they are boys.

Robin B
B4 Alpacas LLC
Grand Island NE
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2006 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage

Just one thing to do.....go take a nice long bath, have a little wine and next time you look outside there will be a beautiful new cria in the pasture. Now you run outside, take care of the cria, check on the mom, spill Bactine on yourself, slip in the wet grass and fall into the poop-pile.....see how exited you are? Next time have a little less wine!
Well, that was a fun experience........last year I had one go 363 days, another 349......no matter what you do, the alpaca will outsmart you. I have come to the conclusion that they definetly know how to make us 'crazy', and then they go behind the barn laugh hysterically....

Just a thought!

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Go to Top of Page

Shady Creek Farm

42 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shady Creek Farm's Homepage  Send Shady Creek Farm an AOL message  Send Shady Creek Farm a Yahoo! Message
Shannon is on day 362 and holding... She's killing me!

Jon & Phyllis Turner
Shady Creek Farm
1221 NE Pulliam Rd.
Lathrop, MO 64465
816.740.3495 (home)
816.547.4984 (cell)
www.shadycreekfarm.net
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  4:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage

Tomorrow is the big day.........Wanna bet?

I am sure Shannon is reading your mind, just waiting for you to throw your hands in the air and say "I give up!" Then she'll quickly and easily deliver that cria, and by the way, It is a GIRL!!

Now you have me anxiously awaiting this birth too, please let us know as soon as it happens! We'll all be cheering!!

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2791 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  4:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Well, day 365, and she finally delivered, another true black--that makes three for her--but a boy this time. He weighed in at a hefty 20 pounds, and my vet arrived just in time to pull him out. He looks exactly like his mom and has the same white spot over the eye and on the chin that his mom has. Only he will be a big boy, not petite like his mom. I don't know how she can produce such big babies, but she does. Her two daughters are both quite a bit larger than she is.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

ard

1808 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2006 :  7:53:33 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Christiane! Now you can sleep at night.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Where quality and integrity count.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,530 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!