Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forum Archives
 Alpaca Healthcare and Nutrition (Archive)
 Dosage amount - Injectable Ivomec
 Forum Locked
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CajunImpression

19 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  4:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I'm very new to the world of alpaca's and llamas. It's time for deworming and I was wondering if someone could tell me what the recommended dosage is for injectable Ivomec?

Presently, I have 4 alpacas and 1 llama and they are all geldings (if it matters).

thanks!!!

Elizabeth Jones

Christiane

2796 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  6:34:09 PM  Show Profile
My vet says 1cc per 50 lbs of body weight.. I normally give Dectomax and give that every five weeks.. Ivomec is normally given every four weeks. I have been told that the Dectomax does not sting as the Ivomec does. Not being an Alpaca, I can't tell if this is true or not.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  6:46:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message
Having stuck myself with the needle on more than one occasion, I can attest that neither of them sting worse than the other!

I believe that there was some discussion among camelid vets about a year ago about raising the dosage of Ivomec to 1cc/50 pounds (it had been 1cc/100 pounds), but I believe it was determined that 1/50 was unnecessarily high. I think they've gone back to recommending 1cc/100 pounds (and 1cc/50 pounds of Dectomax). Anyone recall that discussion??

Sorry! Everyone's right!(I've always said "numbers make me dizzy!" I confused my weights with my dosages! 1cc per (50 or 100 or 70# above, not 50!) I've made the corrections. Thanks, Alice, for the heads-up! My senior moments have overtaken my junior moments lately. But the great thing about this group is that they won't let them go unchallenged (or unridiculed, in Stephen's case)!

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm Alpacas, Fleece & Flowers
Randolph, NY 14772
(716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2796 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile
I was under the impression that the dosage recommended now is the 50cc. I used to go by the 70 cc until early this year when my vet told me to change to 50. Has this changed again?

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

renfarms

442 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit renfarms's Homepage
????
50cc per 100 lbs? 70cc per 100 lbs? Sure sounds lethal - and I mean to the alpacas, not their parasites! Besides probably being fatal to the animal, it sure would be incredibly expensive at those dosage rates! OSU used to recommend 1cc per 70 lbs, although I think I've read that some now prefer to dose at 1cc per 50 lbs.
Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
renfarms@starband.net
www.alpacanation.com/renaissancefarms.asp
Go to Top of Page

Alice

47 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  10:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alice's Homepage
Hi all,
I have noticed that in giving Ivermectin that the animals tend to pull away when I inject the dose as they don't do this when I use Dectomax. Also, I emailed Judith so that she can make the correction in the suggested dosage. Currently I am using 1cc/70pounds of ivermectin or dectomax.
When we started in alpacas 7 years ago we gave ivermectin at 1cc/100pounds every 4 weeks. Then we switched to Dectomax at 1cc/70pounds every 8 weeks. Later we changed that to every 6 weeks. Currently I have rethought about this and I am now transitioning back to using ivermectin every 4 weeks. My reasoning is that the dectomax stays in their system so much longer and I decided it is better to give the shot of ivermectin and it is out of their system in two days. I think this better for pregnant females. Just my thoughts. Best, Alice
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  01:27:40 AM  Show Profile
Ooh,
Am I John, Paul, or Ringo
Yes, people that help make typos and have senior moments.
Dosage varies, but the commonly recommended doseage is 1cc per 50 or 70lbs, based on who you talk to.
Elizabeth, you don't mention if you're in M-worm country. If you are, your frequency will be much different than in other areas.
If you go to http://www.alpacanation.com/alpaca-farming.asp over on the right you can enter your zip code. By calling other farms in your area, you'll likely get some help and guidance for your area.

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Always Accoyo

1347 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:20:32 AM  Show Profile
Just to avoid all these changing dosages we use 1cc/60lbs. Also, my mentor suggested we draw up the shot, then put on a fresh needle to help eliminate some of the sting going in. It takes a few seconds per shot to do this, but we have noticed a big difference in the alpacas' reactions.

Nancy Wright
Always Accoyo
Oxford, MI
alpacas@alwaysaccoyo.com
Go to Top of Page

Sue Ives

134 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  6:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Ives's Homepage
Liz

You can probably get the oral if you are interested. Let me know and I will get you the info!

Sue Ives
Alpacas of Nottingham Hollow
Woodford, VA
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  6:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message
From experience, let me assure you that oral Ivo does NOT work with alpacas (when I first moved to my present location, my vet gave me oral instead of injectible, and I lost two to meningeal because of it).

Judith Korff
Randolph, NY 14772
(716) 499-0383
Go to Top of Page

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  8:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
Hi Judith,

With respect, you may not have been using the same dosage as our camelid vet recommends with oral Ivermectin, or the same product. We have used this method for 6 years, and it has worked for us, and many other breeders in our area. However, as Stephen has mentioned, I would not advise treating any alpaca based on dosage instructions posted on a message board, and would only recommend using oral Ivermectin as a worming method under the care and supervision of your experienced camelid veterinarian!

Take care,

Jane.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839

Edited by - janechristie on 12/02/2006 8:35:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sue Ives

134 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  07:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Ives's Homepage
Judith

I have read of your experience with administering the ivermectin orally and have to agree with Jane on this one. We are in M-worm country and every day I watch the deer move in the woods down one side of my pasture and back up the other side. I have had my alpacas here since January of 2004 and have used oral ivermectin the entire time. It is a formula specially prepared for our vet and is 2% strength and intended to be given orally as opposed to the 1% injectable. Jane (most recently) and I have both said more than once that this protocol has been followed with great success in our area. I have previously supplied Liz with the names and numbers of area vets- some of whom subscribe to this protocol, some who don't. Right now she is trying to decide what protocol she will follow and I guess it doesn't much matter as long as the boys get it in some form!

Sue Ives
Woodford, VA
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2796 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  08:36:17 AM  Show Profile
I could not believe my eyes when I noticed the amount I posted. Sorry about that, and you are right, don't believe dosages here unless you check with your vet. It is 1cc per 50 that I currently give of Dectomax.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message
Sue, is the Ivo formula developed by your vet available commercially? Or is this something he/she puts together just for your farm and other local alpaca breeders?

Judith Korff
Randolph, NY 14772
(716) 499-0383
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  08:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message
Stephen, you're absolutely right. I will try to be extra careful when discussing numbers/statistics/numerical concepts in the future.

Judith Korff
Randolph, NY 14772
(716) 499-0383
Go to Top of Page

Sue Ives

134 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Ives's Homepage
Judith,

To the best of my knowledge we, as consumers, would not be able to purchase the 2% formulation ourselves over-the-counter. I do know that our vet has it made by the drug company as opposed to making it up herself. I have actually heard, through the grape vine - totally unofficially - that another vet in our area also has it available now. And, there is also a paste that is 1.87% ivermectin that is available commercially. My vet said that can also be used but the amount given is not the dosage amount on the tube. The dosage amount would have to come from a vet. I have such issues with Panacur paste that I was not interested in having to use another paste so I never got them.

Sue Ives
Woodford, VA
Go to Top of Page

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile
We use 1cc/70lbs dectomax. Our vet says she has not seen much m-worm around here and we can go to 2 momths apart. I would caution on the 2 months, it may be different in your area. -Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Darlene & Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  11:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi Darlene,
I'll be honest, "not much M-worm" doesn't give me the warm fuzzies.
One case of M-worm is devastating.
I'm glad I'm not in M-worm country, but I personally consider M-worm to be the largest threat to alpacas in the US, and if I was there, would not consider anything other than an avermectin at 1cc/50 lbs monthly.
It's just what I'd do, based on a cost/risk factor

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

alpacastarr

686 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  06:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacastarr's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CajunImpression

Hello,

I'm very new to the world of alpaca's and llamas. It's time for deworming and I was wondering if someone could tell me what the recommended dosage is for injectable Ivomec?

Presently, I have 4 alpacas and 1 llama and they are all geldings (if it matters).

thanks!!!

Elizabeth Jones

Welcome to the "club", Elizabeth. You don't mention where your farm is located which makes it hard to give very specific advice.

As a newcomer to caring for camelids, you need to get well acquainted with your VET - before you have ANY kind of scare or real emergency - and a good LOCAL MENTOR to help you with questions and learning how to take care of your new pals. If you have those 2 people, you'll get much better advice on worming and other routine stuff. That and a couple good reference books and you'll be fine. They're really pretty easy to keep healthy and happy!

This forum is a great place to learn about the big picture, the odd and unusual health issues and just have a little fun sharing our farm life experiences with each other.

Starr
Venezia Dream Farm
Asheville, NC
Go to Top of Page

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage
Hi Ed,

I have heard of another breeder who used Dectomax every 6 weeks and had an outbreak of meningeal worm, which proved fatal to a number of their alpacas. We don't use Dectomax, but I understood it needed to be used every 4 weeks to ensure full protection, so you may want to check that dosage with your local camelid vet!

Take care,

Jane.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839
Go to Top of Page

mythic

888 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  12:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit mythic's Homepage
Wow, if this isn't a topic to be handled by ARF, I don't know what is.

The advice to "ask your vet" is good, but not all vets are camelid experts, not all keep up with current recommendations, and not all current recommendations are consistent with each other. On different occasions when I've spoken with some of the "big camelid vets", I've asked about M-worm worming protocol. Every time I've gotten different answers, different reasons and different effectiveness of ivermectin vs. Dectomax. Similar dosing recommendations, but different dosing frequencies. Oral vs. injectible, ivomec vs. dectomax, 3 weeks up to 8 weeks, I've heard it all.

So what do we do? We consult with our vet, who is a key member of our team, and we decide what we are comfortable with doing. So far no M-worm problems in decidedly M-worm country (where we previously lived, we had brave deer and a creek full of snails running through the property).

We've also changed our protocol a half dozen times, so what's right? Who knows. It'd be nice if we had a body like ARF to do some studies and give some recommendations so that we don't all have to chime in with our unique strategies, each one concurred with by a licensed veterinarian.

Ryan

Ryan & Joanna Maas
Mythic Alpacas
http://www.alpacanation.com/farmsandbreeders/
03_viewfarm.asp?name=11126
www.mythicalpacas.com
Goode, VA
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,571 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!