All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Urinary problem in adult male
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi all,

I just left a message for the vet....but in the meantime does someone have any ideas??

An 8 year old male seems to have trouble urinating, I cam home from a show yesterday and the caretaker said he had been fighting with the other large male, they get into squabbles, but never this bad....(I separated him from the others, but he keeps getting agitated and spitting if they come near his pen)

This morning I noticed him squatting at the poop-pile, then turn a little, try again and then he would move step or two and try again....this has been going on for the past hour now.

He pooped earlier, but seems not to have been drinking any water since last night and he did not go for his fresh hay this morning?/

Hope someone hasan idea for me!

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine

sherih

399 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit sherih's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd get the vet out right away. Males often get urinary crystals or stones. These can be in the kidney or bladder but get stuck in their penis on the way out. They will block any passage of urine and will cause death. I lost a beautiful male to this problem. He was septic when we found this problem. I treated him with homeopathy to fight the sepsis and took him to OSU. They always insert a catheter in the vein but couldn't get it done easily that day, a Sat. They gave him a sedative after a half hour. They finally called someone who could catherize him and took the bloods. They couldn't find much wrong then and when we backed him out of the chute he peed like I've never seen. But, unfortunately he died a year later of the same problem.

I don't know of any treatments for this that are successful.

Best of luck,

Sheri

Sheri Hewitt
Woodland Meadows, LLC
Creswell, OR
541-895-0964
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sherih!

The vet came, she thinks he has a UTI and gave him Penicillin and Banamine and instructed me to keep him on the Pen (short-acting ) twice a day for 2 days, then go to the 'long acting' Pen every 48 hours for 12 days..... I really hope he does not have crystals (vet did not think so).

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate outcome for yours,

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Go to Top of Page

justpeg

138 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  1:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does diet have anything to do with causing these stones or crystals? If so, what would it be? I know in humans (hubby has had kidney stones) that, according to his urologist, certain foods and drinks can contribute to the formation of stones.

Peggy

Peggy Burt
Soft Touch Alpaca Ranch
Dodd City, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2007 :  5:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

He finally peed, the vet says that is good news and most likely means he has a bladder irritation from an infection rather than from crystals.....I still need to catch a sample, so I'll be spending a lot of time in the barn in the next couple of days.

I would think that just like in humans, diet probably does have a bearing on what causes the crystals to form. Our Pomeranian had bladder crystals and had surgery to remove them, now he is on an organic special diet that we hope will prevent them from re-forming.

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
Go to Top of Page

PedrosPrideRanch

109 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2007 :  3:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit PedrosPrideRanch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a lengthy thread here under title of Males with urethra blockage. What a great bit of news that your boy is peeing. If stones develop, there is a treatment for that.

Testing the urine for crystals, sediment and stones is a good idea. I taped a sterile sample up to the end of my fly rod to collect a sample when we were faced with this.

If I can share any experience, let me know.

Ken Larson

Ken & Lisa Larson
http://alpacainformation.blogspot.com
www.alpaca-usa.com
www.pedrospride.com
www.alpacanation.com/pedrospride.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,507 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!