2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 foaming at the mouth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colson

160 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  10:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all
I have an import that foams at the mouth after she eats anything. Her grain, or carrots hay. I am not sure what is going on. I even took her off of grain( she is a little over weight so I know that won't hurt her) I was hoping it had something to do with it. That hasn't even worked not sure what to do from here. She seems fine other than that. Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Carrie Olson
Indianhead Alpacas

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrie,
There are those that do that due to an overabundance of saliva. Some will do it with stomache upset.
Because she's an import, I know she's older. Because she's overweight, I'd personally rule out stomache upset, and just surmise she's a slobber queen

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

JimJams

192 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  03:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find this post interesting because i keep on seeing alpacas foaming at the mouth and panicking, bringing them into a pen to be under observation and care and by the time they are inside they are 100% fine again.... then someone else foams a bit and i swap the animals for the same effect!

They just seem to be sitting enjoying the sun chewing their cud (i assume thats what you would call it?!) and foaming a bit hehe! I've seen the older crias doing it too.
Go to Top of Page

alpacastarr

686 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacastarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Foaming sometimes results from eating clover. Check your pastures, it's often among the first things to green up and they do love to eat it.

Starr
Venezia Dream Farm
Asheville, NC
Go to Top of Page

richbye

750 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  11:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit richbye's Homepage  Send richbye a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have one female that foams about once a week. Drives me nutsy because she drips it on the crias. We (vet and I) have never found any reason for it. Once in a while one of the others will, but nearly as often as this girl. It seems to happen if she's been chewing her cud for a very long time....hmmmm.

Jeanne

Gemstone Alpacas, Inc.
11300 Savage Rd.
Chaffee, NY 14030
(716) 868-0883
Go to Top of Page

sherih

399 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sherih's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many alpacas will foam while they are chewing their cud. Not a problem of any kind. I have no idea why it happens but there is not a health problem. Just keep an eye out but it's probably natural behavior.

Not all alpacas do foam though.

Sheri

Sheri Hewitt
Woodland Meadows, LLC
Creswell, OR
541-895-0964
Go to Top of Page

SIAR

26 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whew! Just got home and noticed one of my guys foaming... came directly to this site when I couldn't find an answer in my vet book... THANKS everyone!

Mary
Stable Investments Alpaca Ranch
Go to Top of Page

WmChristian

36 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  01:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found that red top clover made my alpacas foam at the mouth. I got it all out of the field and have not had another foam. So check your field and hay to see.

William Christian
Christian Farms
Metropolis, IL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,559 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!