All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Ivomec Plus and Liver Flukes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dshultz

96 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit dshultz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We irrigate with river water and need to medicate for liver flukes a couple of times during irrigation season. We have been using Ivomec+, but I seem to remember that it may not contain enough of the drug to really eradicate the liver flukes. Could someone please tell me what drug is used for liver flukes, how much to give, and where I can get it? Also, at what age would I start giving it to a cria? Thanks.

Diana & Dick Shultz
River Mist Ranch
Grants Pass, OR 97526
541-472-4060
www.rmralpacas.com

andesdandies

179 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  5:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit andesdandies's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Diana & Dick,

Ivomec Plus will work on adult flukes, but not on the larval stage which is the stage that does the most damage, however use of IP is better than nothing. Dr. Norm Evans Field Manual, page 62, says:..." treat with Curatrem (Merck) at 7mg/kg and repeat in 7 to 8 weeks. Of other possible use is Valbazen or Ivomec Plus..." He goes on in the paragraph to say that 5 days of Banamine should be started on day three after fluke treatment.

Do NOT, repeat, NOT use Valbazen on pregnant animals. I don't know anything about Curatrem, but perhaps others do.

As always, you should consult with your vet in your situation with your herd in your geographical area, as others' experiences and situations will be different.

Good luck,

Sue Zelazny,
Andes Dandies, LLC
Middleport, NY
http://www.andesdandies.com
585-798-0867
Go to Top of Page

dshultz

96 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit dshultz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sue. I guess I wasn't clear about the fact that the animals don't have liver flukes now and never have had. We are doing preventative medicine.
Diana

Diana & Dick Shultz
River Mist Ranch
Grants Pass, OR 97526
541-472-4060
www.rmralpacas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,522 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!