All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 MEDICATED FEED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JRBABY

59 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  9:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JRBABY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HELP !! I have a one year old that has had clumpy stools for months now. I asked one of the three vets that I have tried if I should be concerned about this, and he said NO...not if he is otherwise acting normally. Now I know that this is not true. I started doing my own fecals and found nematodes & coccidia. I have called three vets today and no calls back yet !! I bought some feed that is medicated with Corid. The directions on the bag are: 0.2lb/100lb(454mg Amprolium/100lb)of body weight for 5 days. I do not currently have a scale, but will definitely think about getting one. I am guessing that a one year old would weigh about 60 lbs. I also have a female that is due in one month. Should I treat her also?

JILL LEWIS
SMILING EYES RANCH
GREAT FALLS , MT
(406)453-0692
http://WWW.SMILINGEYESRANCH.COM

janechristie

1475 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  10:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit janechristie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jill,

Please think more seriously about getting a scale! Body weights vary tremendously between individual alpacas - we have adults that weigh between 125 lbs and over 200lbs, so you cannot just guess the weight of a yearling. If your vet doesn't think you should medicate, maybe you should discuss with them again.

Jane.

www.thistledownalpacas.com
Ph: (804)-784-4837 Fax: (804)-784-4839

Edited by - janechristie on 08/11/2007 10:41:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'd be very interested to hear what others say about this. As I understand it medicated feeds are a preventative and not a treatment dose. I also think that they would not cover both nematodes and coccidia. We use medicated feed for our lambs to prevent them from getting coccidia. We have never used medicated feed with alpaca but I would be inerested to hear if anyone has used that. If you need to treat for coccidia, it could involve albon or corrid (but watch for thiamin issues). If the coccidia was e-mac you need to act very quickly. Nematodes would not respond to this treatment. I'd check Dr. Norm Evan's book for dosage and treatment for both.

Good luck,

Ann
Go to Top of Page

stardustalpacas

512 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit stardustalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a girl that will be a year in just a few weeks and she is over 115lbs. Our other cria at this same age are 80+ lbs. 60 lbs at a year is pretty small. This year we have a cria who at just 3 weeks weighed 40 lbs!

Stephanie Zeleny
Stardust Alpacas
Creswell, OR
stardustalpacas@yahoo.com
http://homepage.mac.com/stardustalpacas/
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  12:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some farms in the PNW give decox as a preventative, but it's not a treatment.
The corid will not address the nematodes, and a decision needs to be made which parasite needs to be treated first.
Medicated feed really isn't the answer, and a good weight is required. I have one that will be a year old and is 70 lbs (she was born at 291 days gestation) and one that was 130 at 12 months

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
http://alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
(951) 679-7795
Life is good!
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  07:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Is your yearling on the thin side? A scale is a great idea. We have some yearlings that are huge and some are smaller but all of them weigh a good bit more than that. When you are treating you don't want to under or over dose.

Do a fecal on the one that is due in a month and see what's there. Maybe you will find there is no need to worry about her.

That is a shame the vets won't call you back. They probably don't think its any kind of urgent emergency. Also I think sometimes vets are reluctant to give advice to folks that are not their regular clients. Lastly I think it just hard to find vets willing to take on alpaca clients. Still they should call you back!! Are there other farms in your area that might reccomend a vet with lots of alpaca experience or at least a willingness to learn (and a willingness to call back)? It sounds like you need to find a good local responsive camelid vet. That can be a challenge! We had a terrible time finding a vet when we first moved to NY. We did find one that had no alpaca experience but she has since attended all kinds of conferences and seminars and really has worked to educate herself.

You have inspired me to run some fecals today. Off to mix up float solution!

Ann

ps I end up saying this in a lot of posts and sound like an ad but Dr Evan's book has been really helpful for us with treatment options and dosages. I found it especially helpful for instructions on doing fecals and then treating what you find.
Go to Top of Page

JRBABY

59 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRBABY's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I did not even think about having a scale until now
that I actually need one! I was concerned about fences & shelters and things like that, but believe me I will buy a scale Today and have it shipped ASAP!
I do own Dr Evans book, among many others and he does list Albon and Corid as treatment options for the coccidia. I will treat that first because I see a lot more of the coccidia than I do the nematodes.
I just don't understand how much to give. The book says 25mg/ pound body weight for 5 days. The bag of feed says 227mg Amprolium(corid)/100 lb, 0.1 lb/100lb.
I have called a vet that I thought I was happy with, and left a message for them to call me ..... no call as of yesterday. I then call a vet that is four hours away that has alpaca experience, and offered to pay them for their time on the phone to advise me .... no call back. Now, I go out to check on them this morning and my two year old has an eye infection!! I don't know what's going on around here this weekend!! I will call them all again today, because I need someone to check out the eye.
I am ordering a scale online right now !!

JILL LEWIS
SMILING EYES RANCH
GREAT FALLS , MT
(406)453-0692
http://WWW.SMILINGEYESRANCH.COM
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  09:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

25mg per pound. That means 25 milligrams per pound but you need to look at the concentration of the medications. It usually gives you the concentration in mg per ml and then you will know many mls to give.

Ann

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,519 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!