All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Bloat Successfully Treated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sherih

399 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit sherih's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, here I am again with one of my homeopathic healings.

Last night, while it was totally dark, the wind was blowing and the rain was pretty strong, we went out to find one of the adult males cushed, rolling on his side, a droopy mouth and really bloated. He got up and stretched and cushed again. He had not been in a fight but was extremely uncomfortable.

Not knowing what had caused this bloating I gave him a combination remedy that is for gas. It is made by Bioron and is called Gasalia. We did not check him again until this morning and found him alive and feeling quite a bit better. The bloat was gone, his lip was not droopy and he ate and pooped.

I gave him another dose this afternoon to be on the safe side but we will not have to call the vet and he had a pretty good night.

I'll never know what caused it but I really don't need to know, he's better.

Just thought you'd like to know...

Sheri

Sheri Hewitt
Woodland Meadows, LLC
Creswell, OR
541-895-0964

cwissler

196 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  12:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit cwissler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sheri and Heather,
My neighbors that raise goats told me that when their goats have bloat they give them baking soda. She was trying to convince me that would work for alpacas. Have you ever heard of that? Do you buy Gasalia online?

Wissler Alpaca Farm
Warrenton, MO just west of St. Louis
www.alpacanation.com/wisslerfarm.asp
www.alpacalove.blogspot.com

Edited by - cwissler on 01/06/2008 12:32:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

josie

10 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  05:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I would be interested in hearing more about this BLOAT as one of my alpacas had almost identical symptoms last week if you added teeth griding and obvious swallowing every few minutes to the list. I must admit I didnt look at her belly and it was dark. What do you look for as there tummies always look bigger when they are cushed.

Also this females cria went down with the same thing the next day and although the female picked up within 12 hours of receiving a painkiller and antibiotic the cria took 3 days.

In total I ended up with 3 out of hours vet visits.

The vet not being an alpaca vet (who was off duty) had no idea what was wrong. Just said colic probably due to the feed. (they had been given horse mix the day before as I had run out of alpaca feed and the feed man hadn't tdelivered the order yet, but they had had horse mix for months before I managed to get the alpaca feed) I was unconvinced it was the food and when the cria got it he was also just as convinced he hadn't got it through her milk and that it must be contagious.

None of the others ever showed any symptons and I know wonder if this was bloat, could it be passed from mother to cria. or could cria have reacted to the drugs mum was given even though the vet assured me he wouldn't

sorry this is so long, but I was terrified we were going to lose them they looked so sick and I want to avoid it happening again.

Josie
Go to Top of Page

kmecham

115 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  07:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to the site you mentioned (abc.....) copy and pasted Gasalia - they said no match> Can you give me more info?

Kathie Mecham
Ace of Hearts Alpacas
West Haven, UT
801-732-2510
Go to Top of Page

Jessie Schmoker

794 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jessie Schmoker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is Gasalia along the lines of Pepto Bismol? We've used Pepto for bloat a couple of times and been very pleased with the results.

Jessie Schmoker
Alpacas of St. Croix Valley
Somerset, WI
Go to Top of Page

josie

10 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  1:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can anyone tell me what causes bloat

Josie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,573 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!