The Original
Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Alpaca Meat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willis2u

131 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  8:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Just curious,...Would you, or do you eat it?

Barefoot Beachbaby

288 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  8:47:56 PM  Show Profile
AB-SO-****ING-LUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Quite honestly, I am offended and appalled that anyone here would even think to ask such a disgusting question.

Montrose Farms
Alpaca Ranch
3750 N. CR. 950 E.
Brownsburg, IN 46112
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  9:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage
It's not a disgusting question, and I don't think we need the vitriol in the replies, please.

Alpaca meat is already being sold in Australia, where the ever practical Aussies are trying to develop the alpaca as livestock, and not just overpriced pets. I'm too much of a softie to eat my own chickens, but that doesn't stop me eating chicken meat. As long as the animals are humanely raised and slaughtered, I don't see much difference in eating cow, sheep or alpaca. They're all big, fuzzy mammals that are quite personable. Why is it OK to eat a cow but not an alpaca?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

Hagen Heights Alpacas

995 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  10:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hagen Heights Alpacas's Homepage
Jill,

I agree totally with you on this one. After all, I have seen some adorable calves and that does not stop me from eating beef. In many countries in So. America where alpaca is a staple due to necessity I believe people visiting there are often served alpaca meat, from what I am told. When in Rome....

When purchasing pet food that is labeled as meat and meat by products no one asks what type of meat it is....

Theresa




quote:
Originally posted by jillmcm

It's not a disgusting question, and I don't think we need the vitriol in the replies, please.

Alpaca meat is already being sold in Australia, where the ever practical Aussies are trying to develop the alpaca as livestock, and not just overpriced pets. I'm too much of a softie to eat my own chickens, but that doesn't stop me eating chicken meat. As long as the animals are humanely raised and slaughtered, I don't see much difference in eating cow, sheep or alpaca. They're all big, fuzzy mammals that are quite personable. Why is it OK to eat a cow but not an alpaca?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp




Todd Gruenhagen and Theresa Reyes-Stassel
Hagen Heights Alpaca Farm
New Windsor, NY
845-800-2616
www.alpacanation.com/hagenheights.asp

Edited by - Hagen Heights Alpacas on 08/31/2008 10:19:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  11:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage
Congrats willis2u, you couldn't find anyone to respond to your NAIS post no matter how many times you updated it, so you had to find some topic that would inflame somebody, huh?



Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  12:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Paradise

Congrats willis2u, you couldn't find anyone to respond to your NAIS post no matter how many times you updated it, so you had to find some topic that would inflame somebody, huh?



Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp



LOL Laura. I was wondering if there was going to be some tie in with NAIS ...

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

Barefoot Beachbaby

288 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:24:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jillmcm

It's not a disgusting question, and I don't think we need the vitriol in the replies, please.

Alpaca meat is already being sold in Australia, where the ever practical Aussies are trying to develop the alpaca as livestock, and not just overpriced pets. I'm too much of a softie to eat my own chickens, but that doesn't stop me eating chicken meat. As long as the animals are humanely raised and slaughtered, I don't see much difference in eating cow, sheep or alpaca. They're all big, fuzzy mammals that are quite personable. Why is it OK to eat a cow but not an alpaca?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp




As far as I'm concerned, it's not ok to eat cows, sheep or chickens, and it is my opinion that it is a disgusting question. Still ok for me to have an opinion on here, right..? I do recall a few months ago a thread where several people stated that the day alpacas are sold in the US for meat is the day they get out of the business. You don't have to eat an animal for it to have a useful purpose or not be classified as what you call "just an overpriced pet," so maybe I'm not the only one who finds it disgusting.

The "ever practical Aussies" also employ the cruel practice of museling. Finally, companies in the US and Europe are boycotting Australian wool until the "ever practical Aussies" clean up their act.

Just because someone else does something doesn't make it right.

Montrose Farms
Alpaca Ranch
3750 N. CR. 950 E.
Brownsburg, IN 46112

Edited by - Barefoot Beachbaby on 09/01/2008 08:55:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Barefoot Beachbaby

288 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hagen Heights Alpacas

Jill,

I agree totally with you on this one. After all, I have seen some adorable calves and that does not stop me from eating beef. In many countries in So. America where alpaca is a staple due to necessity I believe people visiting there are often served alpaca meat, from what I am told. When in Rome....

When purchasing pet food that is labeled as meat and meat by products no one asks what type of meat it is....

Theresa



Todd Gruenhagen and Theresa Reyes-Stassel
Hagen Heights Alpaca Farm
New Windsor, NY
845-800-2616
www.alpacanation.com/hagenheights.asp





When in Rome..? Sorry, but if you've ever been a parent --- or a child --- surely you know the standard response: if your best friend jumped off a cliff, does that make it ok for you to jump off a cliff too?

I would hope that humanitarian people would draw a line. Historically, they have ... eventually. Infanticide has all but ceased in Polynesia. Slavery has ended in most of the world. Ditto cannibalism. No need to even mention the Holocaust and how millions of Germans went along with the cleansing program, right?

Atrocities still occur, but progress is being made. More and more companies are boycotting wool from Australia because of the cruel practice of museling. More and more companies are boycotting animals raised in deplorable factory farm conditions. But it takes people making a stand, drawing a line, refusing to go with the flow just because someone else does it.

In China, dogs and cats are eaten. Would you, just because you're in China? Would you, just because they aren't your pets? Or perhaps the concensus here is that they're "just overpriced pets" and no different eating than chicken or beef? Of course, that's exactly PETA's point: they are no different. They are sentient beings who deserve their own life beyond mankind's dinner plate. PETA's point, hoping to appeal to the "softies" who wouldn't eat the animals they share their lives with but continue to eat someone else's animals, is if you wouldn't eat your dog, why eat a cow? But I'm wondering if that argument has already been surpassed here.

Montrose Farms
Alpaca Ranch
3750 N. CR. 950 E.
Brownsburg, IN 46112

Edited by - Barefoot Beachbaby on 09/01/2008 08:52:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

elliot

22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  09:50:43 AM  Show Profile
So Barefoot Beachbaby.........what do you eat? ware? clean with? drive? feed your dog? etc;

we think PETA has some valid points...sometimes extreme.(as in not "owning" any living being) so by "owning an alpaca you are offending it's founder.

Lets be realistic, meat is going to be consumed.....what needs to change is the way the animals are treated. Just because their end result is going to be their death it doesn't mean they should be treated without respect and kindness. We need to bring back the small farm so we know where our food source comes from and we in turn support local farmers, keeping people employed and cutting down on gas. Who knows maybe someday alpaca will be on the menu. Certianly when we started alpaca farming 5 years ago the prospect of a no-kill livestock was apealing, however after doing it for all this time we realize maybe not so realistic.

This year we raised our first group of chickens for our dogs. They were allowed to be free and live and had about 45 seconds of stress in their life. In fact it went so well we've added some Katahdin sheep to the farm and next year will do lamb, chicken and ducks, to keep our dogs on their raw meat diet.

Believe it or not we still consider our selves animals lovers and activist. Our farm is not only home to our alpaca, but our 6 dogs, 4 of our own 2 rescues up for adoption, 2 PMU foals, now 5 boy time flies, a freezer pig, Henry who never made it to the freezer who is now 4, our Hoboken duck that was going to be thrown off a roof.

As with beauty, disgust is in the eye of the beholder

Comparing alpaca farming to the Holocaust......now thats INFLAMING!!!
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  09:50:47 AM  Show Profile
The hides and meat will bring in a lot more than the fleece. We are over run with males and none breeding females so it won't be long.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

Barefoot Beachbaby

288 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by elliot

So Barefoot Beachbaby.........what do you eat? ware? clean with? drive? feed your dog? etc;

we think PETA has some valid points...sometimes extreme.(as in not "owning" any living being) so by "owning an alpaca you are offending it's founder.

Lets be realistic, meat is going to be consumed.....what needs to change is the way the animals are treated. Just because their end result is going to be their death it doesn't mean they should be treated without respect and kindness. We need to bring back the small farm so we know where our food source comes from and we in turn support local farmers, keeping people employed and cutting down on gas. Who knows maybe someday alpaca will be on the menu. Certianly when we started alpaca farming 5 years ago the prospect of a no-kill livestock was apealing, however after doing it for all this time we realize maybe not so realistic.

This year we raised our first group of chickens for our dogs. They were allowed to be free and live and had about 45 seconds of stress in their life. In fact it went so well we've added some Katahdin sheep to the farm and next year will do lamb, chicken and ducks, to keep our dogs on their raw meat diet.

Believe it or not we still consider our selves animals lovers and activist. Our farm is not only home to our alpaca, but our 6 dogs, 4 of our own 2 rescues up for adoption, 2 PMU foals, now 5 boy time flies, a freezer pig, Henry who never made it to the freezer who is now 4, our Hoboken duck that was going to be thrown off a roof.

As with beauty, disgust is in the eye of the beholder

Comparing alpaca farming to the Holocaust......now thats INFLAMING!!!



What do I eat? Maybe you've heard of vegetables, grains, nuts, fruits, etc. There's a whole world of edible things out there: no need to resort to eating flesh!

What do I wear? Again, there are a myriad of products, from cotton to synthetics. No need to be a caveman and wear hides or leather.

I don't agree that being "realistic" automatically translates into carnavorism. And, quite honestly, resigning oneself to that is simply laziness. As my earlier post indicates, change can occur. We no longer condone many time-honored practices such as slavery, to which we turn up our noses now as inhumane. Again, I repeat: the day the US alpaca industry starts butchering is the day I'm out. I chose alpacas specifically because of the presumption that in this country we are above eating these animals and I can rest assured mine will not be sold for someone's dinner table.

And my other arguments are just as valid. You say it's ok to eat flesh as long as the animal had a happy life and only 45 seconds of stressful killing. Ok, let's take one of your 6 dogs, give it a happy life, then kill, butcher and bbq it. Nothing wrong with that, is there? See the point? And what if that doggie you're eating wasn't killed humanely? Watch a few videos about the beef and poulty industries in this country and "meet your meat." See exactly what you're buying at the supermarket: so many sick and downed cows brutally beaten, so many chickens mercilessly slaughtered and boiled alive... It is disgusting, and it is a disgusting thought to consider that alpacas we are lovingly raising and meticulously breeding for fiber could end up ruthlessly slaughtered in like manner.

And the Holocaust comparison has a point: that people who go along with the crowd (like sheep, pardon the pun!! ) without taking a stand are guilty of allowing inhumane acts to occur. Besides, do you honestly think that human life is more important, more valuable than animal life? That is another slippery slope. Would you eat gorilla meat? Chimpanzee meat? They are primates, our closest relatives. The line gets blurry, doesn't it? It got blurry for some, like Jeffrey Dahmer. It is a proven fact that children who abuse animals often grow up to take human life. That's not enflaming; that's terrifying truth.

ps: what do I drive? My truck is made of metal, not animal bones. And no, I don't have leather seats, which are merely an unecessary "luxury."

Montrose Farms
Alpaca Ranch
3750 N. CR. 950 E.
Brownsburg, IN 46112

Edited by - Barefoot Beachbaby on 09/01/2008 10:12:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

elliot

22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile
YADA YADA YADA....now your bringing Jeffery Domer in it...thats not fair he'll eat anything
Go to Top of Page

elliot

22 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:27:39 AM  Show Profile
I see you edited your post and added in that you drive a Fred Flintstone car....your feet must hurt...his was made out of wood stone and a big pink shell....you never did answer...what does your dog eat?
Go to Top of Page

KFF Suri Alpacas

54 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  10:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit KFF Suri Alpacas's Homepage
Due to some of the inflaming comments made, the thread is now locked.


Bill Koopman
KFF Suri Alpacas
Co-Moderator @ Alpaca Nation
La Porte, IN

219-326-SURI (7874)

www.kffalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,572 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!