Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Tick paralysis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rackapaca

663 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got over a horrid experience. Tick paralysis in one of my new moms. At first we just thought she reverted and didn't want to feed her new baby again as it was a rough time for the firs few days. If you have an animal that either can't get up or it seems like they won't get up...it may be this culprit. It took 15 hours for her to get back up and be able to nurse (don't worry we took care of the cria by elevating mom and rolling her on her side). Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to prevent this...is Frontline ever going to work on alpacas?

Ruthann
Racka Paca Ranch
Kila, MT

danimac

936 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  10:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frontline has been used to treat some kinds of mites on alpacas, see the most current issue of Alpacas Magazine (Herdsire issue). I would check with your vet for dosage and safety on pregnant dams.

Cheers,
Dani

Dani McKenzie
Longbottom Meadows
Roy, WA
360-400-0348
http://alpacanation.com/farmsandbreeders/03_viewfarm.asp?name=16661
Go to Top of Page

Pepperina

776 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  02:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pepperina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Australia and especially the northern State of Queensland where the coastal areas are very tick prone, I am safe to say that the only product we have found effective is injectable Cydectin.

There has been extensive discussion on the Australian Alpaca Association forum regarding ticks and their preventation. http://www.alpaca.asn.au/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

I can personally report that dog tick collars have failed a friend of mine on two occasions. But in saying that some breeders still use them.

Regards Barbara - Pepperina Alpacas Forest Hill QLD Australia

Pepperina Alpacas Forest Hill QLD Australia
Email pamas@bigpond.com
Go to Top of Page

alpacasofeldorado

77 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  01:37:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit alpacasofeldorado's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ruthann,
I just read your topic and wanted to make a comment. We had a girl two years ago who was very near term. She began shaking her head and we treated her for something in her ear. Long story short, she developed an infection from a tick in her ear. She looked and acted like she had had a stroke. We barely kept her alive and for months she lost weight. We finally turned her around and she has had two healthy cria since. But she will forever be paralyzed on the right side of her face. Whenever we see a head shaking or an ear down we put 1/2 cc of Ivermectin in their ears and it kills the tick immediately. We also use Cylence as a pour on. Draw up a 3cc syringe and put 1cc on the back of the head, one on the shoulder and one on the butt. This usually lasts up to 6 weeks and works on flies and ticks. These ticks are nasty things, and if you suspect anything treat it right away. I'm happy your girl is doing well.

Laurie Findlay
Alpacas of El Dorado
530-642-8082
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  07:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Hi Laurie,

Using Cylence in this manner is safe for pregnant dams?? I bought Cylence...but put it in my hand (rubber glove) and rub it on the back of their heads only....

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
www.alpacanation.com/graceland.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,529 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!