1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Poop Pile Problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jaydeb

34 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  3:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We have 3 alpacas (all boys) and their primary poop pile (they have 3) is starting to become more of a mud pile.

We clean their piles daily and sprinkle a little sand afterwards. We also throw some agricultural lime on the piles once every couple of weeks for odor control.

We're here in San Antonio and you would think our 95 + degree weather would prevent that but their pee seems to puddle causing the ground to turn muddy.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing that? We must be doing something wrong.

Thanks

Debra

Shadowberry

165 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shadowberry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sprinkle lime almost every day as it seems to help with the moisture. Also, when the area is really damp, I rake across it with a metal rake or pitchfork, creating little grooves. On a sunny day this seems to help the area dry out faster. If it's really wet, to the point of puddling, I sprinkle some of those compressed pellets that are used in horse stalls.

Nancy

Shadowberry Farm Alpacas
Tom and Nancy Imphong
Carlisle, PA 17015
717-795-8045
shadowberry@verizon.net
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your ground may not perc well, meaning that the pee saturates it and sticks around instead of draining in (we have clay soils and have this problem in a few areas). You can try digging out the area a little bit and infilling with something more porous, like sand or gravel with sand on top. Just be prepared to have to replenish the sand periodically.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

chf1752

115 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  6:04:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deleted

Edited by - chf1752 on 12/16/2010 10:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

jaydeb

34 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  7:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for all the good advice. Will implement them all immediately...

Sure Appreciate it...
Debra
Go to Top of Page

hoodwinked

42 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  12:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a product in our stalls that allows the urine to seep through and we just simply sweep the poop up. 365 days a year. About once a month I use a mild dish soap and hose it, just to make it look new and smell fresh again. In your area you would need to put in a leach pit first. I don't know if I can say the name on this forum (we are distributors) but you can certainly contact me for the information.

Terry & Sue Hart
SunRise Suris
Vinton, IA
319 310-7705
www.alpacanation.com/SunRiseSuris.asp

Edited by - hoodwinked on 06/18/2009 12:22:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  03:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stallskins?

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

hoodwinked

42 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  12:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Jill, Stall Skins!! They save me so much time in the barn, along with less smell, less flies, and a healthier environment for the alpacas. They also cut down on the dust! I am going to try a scrap in the paddock and see how that goes. I expect it will make clean up in the paddock much easier. They pay for themselves within 6 months with the savings of bedding alone (depending on usage of bedding).

Terry & Sue Hart
SunRise Suris
Vinton, IA
319 784-7847
319 310-7705
SunRise_Suris@commspeed.net
AlpacaNation.com/SunRiseSuris.asp

Edited by - hoodwinked on 06/20/2009 1:37:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sue Ives

134 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sue Ives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What type of bedding do you use with the stall skins?

Sue Ives
Alpacas of Nottingham Hollow
Woodford, VA
ives@alpacasofnottinghamhollow.com
www.alpacasofnottinghamhollow.com
Go to Top of Page

hoodwinked

42 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sue, originally stall skins were designed for outdoor paddocks to keep "horses out of the mud. Now most horse & alpaca owners use stall skins indoors to cut bedding costs.

Stall skins unique fabric keeps stalls dryer, extending the life of your bedding. They allow water and urine to pass through, leaching naturally into the subsoil. This keeps stalls and paddocks dryer. We will be using straw bedding (our first winter with our heard home).

I have found that with the urine draining though the stall skin that the beans dry out faster, thus allowing me to simply sweep the little beans up and leaving more bedding in the stall. Less waste.

Our barn and stalls look better and are much more presentable to visitors.

Terry & Sue Hart
SunRise Suris
Vinton, IA
319 784-7847
319 310-7705
AlpacaNation.com/SunRiseSuris.asp

Edited by - hoodwinked on 06/20/2009 1:38:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

jmathiason

140 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  08:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought about using a similar material in our dry lot. We have very sandy solid and it is !%$@#$% on the combs and cutters during shearing.

Our concern about the skins is how 'black' absorbs so much heat in the summer time. Is there any material in a lighter color?

jackie

jmathiason
Alpaca Road LLC
Ridgely MD
www.alpacanation.com/alpacaroad.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2779 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  10:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea on the cost of stall skins and how they are sold--rolls, or what and how wide. If they keep the ground dryer, that might be something for me to consider.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

hoodwinked

42 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2009 :  12:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stall skins are one-piece stall liner that is made of a durable non-woven polypropylene black material. This material is highly resistant to punctures and tears . A standard 12’x12’ stall skin weighs just 45lbs. And installation is a breeze. My husband put in two of ours and I put in one.

You may purchase kits that come with molding, screws & washers, or the fabric alone. Stall skins come in various sizes smallest 13x13 ($219. Kit) and largest 12x24 ($415. Kit). If you should want a larger size there is a seaming fee.

I have found that buying by the square foot is more economical. Pricing $1.15 per sq. ft. The molding that comes with the skins kit is very “horse” worthy and alpacas are not as aggressive on the skin as horses might be. So possibly using a rubber molding from your local home improvement store would suffice. Plus you would save on shipping by not purchasing the kit with the added weight of the molding and screws.

You can visit our Alpaca Nation web sight store and get more info on pricing and sizes. Or simple call me.

Sue

Terry & Sue Hart
SunRise Suris
Vinton, IA
319 784-7847
319 310-7705
www.AlpacaNation.com/SunRiseSuris.asp

Edited by - hoodwinked on 06/20/2009 1:38:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,516 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!