9. General Alpaca Discussion
 I'm a believer........ in paca poop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stormyridge

75 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  7:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. I know... weird subject line.
But just wanted to say that in the spring, we spread paca poop all over the garden and over the fields where we planted field corn. My potatoes are the biggest they have ever been. My field corn has to be ten feet tall. Not exaggerating. I say it's the paca poop. My hubby says it's all the rain we had and the fact we kept the weeds out better than last year. I still think it's the paca poop.....

Lori
Juniata County, PA

Jessie Schmoker

794 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  7:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jessie Schmoker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lori,

We've had people use our paca poop and also claim that their tomatoes and other veggies were some of the nicest they'd ever grown, and that the veggies are ready to pick about two weeks sooner than the ones that didn't receive the special "poop treatment". We haven't tried it ourselves yet (we're not really gardeners) but maybe next year.

Jessie Schmoker
Alpacas of St. Croix Valley
Somerset, WI
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  8:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Lori, it's the rain and the improvement in weed management. Alpaca poop is great for adding organic material to the soil, but they're such efficient users of nutritional intake that their feces has little to offer in the way of nutrients.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Suris
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

WiniL

42 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  9:06:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit WiniL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine decided to do some test plots for his veggie garden. One plot had horse manure, one cow manure and the last paca poo. The same veggie plants (tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cukes, zucchini) were planted in each. The plot with the paca poo has been the best by far. He has taken photos of each plot and some of the plants during their growth. I hope to be able to get it all and write up some kind of article for some magazine somewhere. What a great endorsement for our by product!!

Wini Labrecque
Star Weaver Farm
Cabot, PA

Star Weaver Farm
Cabot, PA
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  9:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alpaca poop has no NPK. Nitrogen (N) Phosphorus (P) Potassium (K)
What you are seeing is the urine in the poop putting nitrogen into the plant, alpaca urine is high in nitrogen. Another thing that happens is earthworms eat the alpaca poop and put more nitrogen into the soil. The grass that growes so green around the poop pile is from the urine.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2009 :  11:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In NM we had this hard pack superfine dirt that sucked for all things green. I always added alpaca/llama poop to the soil before planting my flower seeds. I think the biggest thing the wheelbarrows full of poop did was to aerate the soil, but there was more. I cannot believe that alpaca poop has NO N/P/K. That would mean a 100% efficient digestive system, which even alpacas don't have. I just googled it. The N/P/K is 1.5 / 0.2 / 1.1, roughly the same as cattle manure. It isn't as "hot" as some manure (ie, chicken), so doesn't really need to be composted. Composting, however, helps break down the pellets, making it easier to mix into the soil.

Melanie McMurry MD
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
http://www.alpacanation.com/anasazialpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  07:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote

We have been using paca poop in the garden for the last 4 years now...and each year we get great results. Last year I planted one (1) pumpkin plant, it grew 20 foot long branches (I cut some away because it was taking over the lawn), huge leaves and we harvested 27 large pumpkins from the few branches that remained. I had planted pumpkin before, but only got a few (4-5) from each plant. Tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, zucchini etc. does incredibly well, and the ONLY fertilizer we use is alpaca poop!

There must be some MAGIC in those beans!!

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
www.alpacanation.com/graceland.asp
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  09:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's in the urine or in the beans..but I do know that it works...on everything I've ever used it on...and on everything my friends/neighbors have ever used it on. I am a 'bean believer"

Debbie
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY

You only live once...live with alpacas!
Go to Top of Page

ard

1820 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  11:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the girls raised rabbits, we used rabbit manure. We now raise alpacas and use alpaca manure. We have had consistantly wonderful gardens for the last 20 years. We are also bean believers.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

box cars

534 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alpacas do have a 100% efficient digestive system and cows don't, if they did they would have beans also. If it works use it I do, but I know why it works. No N/P/K been lab tested. Good worm food, the more worms you have the better your plants will be. I put about 3000 red worms in my poop pile to compost it.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4029 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  12:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by box cars

Alpacas do have a 100% efficient digestive system and cows don't, if they did they would have beans also. If it works use it I do, but I know why it works. No N/P/K been lab tested. Good worm food, the more worms you have the better your plants will be. I put about 3000 red worms in my poop pile to compost it.
Ken

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51

It works because it improves your soil by adding organic material. The worms break it down and carry it down into the soil where it breaks up heavy clay or adds tilth to sandy soil. In either event, your plants are able to root more rapidly and able to extract more nutrients from the soil. Yes, the urine IS nitrogen dense (and what else is fertilizer than urea?) and does add an important component. However, my own experimentation with alpaca feces is that it helps generate lots of leaves, but very few flowers (or fruit). I prefer to mulch over the course of a year or so, because it's more readily absorbed into the soil and not so wet and heavy as to compact it by spreading it "raw" over the ground. In areas where I need extra NPK, I use well-mulched guinea, chicken and goose bedding.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Suris
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  3:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by box cars

Alpacas do have a 100% efficient digestive system and cows don't, if they did they would have beans also.

Ken & Pat Humbert
Pondview Alpaca Ranch
5088 Booth Rd.
China, Mi. 48054
N-42.73 W-82.51

No animal has a 100% efficient digestive system, beans or no beans...not even rabbits, and they eat their poop to get out even more nutrients. Break open a bean. You can see bits and pieces of grass, seeds, etc. Therefore, not 100%. Probably the closest to 100% I've ever come across is that weird white chalky poop made by dogs on the BARF diet. I didn't make those numbers up as far as the N/P/K, and if it was all from the urine the nitrogen would be way higher (N/P/K of urine is more in the realm of 11/1/2).

Melanie McMurry MD
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
http://www.alpacanation.com/anasazialpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2009 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We tilled the composted paca poop in this spring. We started our garden 2 weeks after our neighbor and she is amazed and claims our garden has passed hers and has a higher yield! YIPPEE! This means the poop piles will diminish faster next spring!

Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2801 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  09:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help, my manure area is covered with pumpkin vines and flowers. I must have dumped the seeds from last year's pumpkin in there along with the beans from the barns. I actually had to cut away some of the vines and flowers to make room to roll my wheelbarrow in there. I do think it is because the soil now is much less clay-like. Anyway, it does improve the soil tremendously even if it does not add nitrogen, etc. Should have some tremendous pumpkins by Halloween. BTW, I made pumpkin butter from last year's pumpkins which came from my brother-in-law's small plot. It is delicious.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,577 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!