Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Labor Signs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sparky168

74 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  11:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to breeding alpacas. I have been in the horse business for many years and am very familiar with what to look for in mares that are about to give birth. What are the most common signs of impending labor in alpacas?

I have a female now that is breathing heavy, looking uncomfortable, and the cria is doing jumping lacks inside her.

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  11:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my experience, those symptoms mean:

1. She will have the baby any moment

2. She will have the baby in the next few days

3. All symptoms will stop and she'll have the baby next month with no signs at all.

4. She is not really pregnant at all, but has a wicked case of gas.

Ignore the last one, but the other 3 are pretty much on the button.

Melanie McMurry MD
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
http://www.alpacanation.com/anasazialpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2009 :  11:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, the best resource on the internet is at http://veneziadream.com/birth_labor.htm

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
951-217-0306
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Life is Good!
Go to Top of Page

pdhmaine

629 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  10:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit pdhmaine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Melanie about what the signs mean, and with Rick about the link for the birthing info! I was lucky to run across it before the first birth on our farm back in '05. Yes, I had attended a prenatal workshop with wet lab given by Larue Johnson a few months earlier, but Starr Cash's step by step "if you see (fill in the blank)it's normal/time to call the vet" was hugely reassuring. I keep a copy on a clipboard hanging next to the stalls. At the Fiber Symposium in April I was able to (finally) meet Starr and thank her for making her information available.

The other thing I have is a cria birth record for all attended deliveries. It helps me to remember what to do and look for and when. I pass these on to the buyers of my dams so they have a lot more info about the dam's birthing tendencies than I was given.
Pam

Pamela Harwood
Longwoods Alpaca Farm, LLC
135 Main Street
Cumberland, ME 04021
pdh@longwoodsalpacas.com
www.longwoodsalpacas.com

Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  11:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching an older girl on day 336 who seems the size of a heifer. She even looks like a cow the way she's been cushing, off center with big side and rear bulge. She huffed and puffed her way thru the recent heat wave. She's so lazy now I can lift her tail to check, although she won't stand for me to check perineal ligaments.

Yesterday I saw a small bit of thick discharge which dried up. This morning was a little more. I assume it's the mucous plug. Her udder looks good but not "milk's in ready". I guess that means she might have delivered by the time I go home at lunch, or maybe in two weeks from now.

Last year her younger sister spent the last 6 weeks of her pregnancy acting so miserable we had her checked for torsion and gave her occasional banamine. You could see the footprints of her cria doing his laps. She delivered on day 330 and he was literally walking in 10 minutes. This year she is as cool as a cucumber and on day 332.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went on the same day, whatever day that will be.

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

kipaca

769 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  11:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit kipaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Observing the last 4 births here...I have seen 3 doing pretty much the same thing just prior to delivery....going repeatedly to the poop-pile, digging in the sand with the front feet...rubbing their heads on the ground and yawning!! This activity started happening app one hour prior to water breaking...then normal births followed within 20 minutes in all 3....

As for the 4th. one....keep reading!
The 4th one is a 12 year old female who last year delivered a still born cria on day 343, a girl who weighed 24 Lbs.

Last Monday we induced this female at day 340, she had been miserable for several days and stopped eating...was not chewing her cud and grinding her teeth (an obvious sign of pain)..The vet was convinced the cria was already dead as there had been no movement for a couple of days and she could not detect a heartbeat..... Tuesday morning I saw definite cria movement and called the vet...and finally at 8 PM she delivered a very much alive female cria...full term, 19 Lbs 7 oz...

Not sure if this helps...just my observation of 3 normal deliveries and the one 'abnormality'!

Laila

Laila V Roukounakis
Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
207-353-2171
info@gracelandfarm.com
www.alpacanation.com/graceland.asp
Go to Top of Page

mbenson

41 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llamapelli

3. All symptoms will stop and she'll have the baby next month with no signs at all.

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210

In other words.............a lot like horses Lots of tormenting the silly humans waiting for the birth and then have it the second they turn their back!

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan

Edited by - mbenson on 08/31/2009 12:39:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2009 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mbenson

quote:

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210

In other words.............a lot like horses Lots of tormenting the silly humans waiting for the birth and then have it the second they turn their back!

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan

BINGO!!!

At least alpacas for the most part have their babies during the day (while we are at work or the hardware store) rather than in the middle of the night, like horses.

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page

Koehlers

782 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  2:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koehlers's Homepage  Send Koehlers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan

You have got it exactly Michele.
I watch and watch and nothing. I checked on my due girl yesterday morning about 8:30 took out hay all was fine. Heard the dog barking and looked out to see the boy's wrestling. Walked out to the pasture and there was a new little boy laying on the ground still in the sack.
She showed no signs , no discomfort, could not even see a bulge from under her tail.
Have a very nice looking dark fawn little guy.
You just never know.

Where in Michigan are you located?
I am in Michigan myself.

Tracey Koehler
(989)751-0269
Koehlers 4 Star Alpacas
Michigan
http://koehlers4star.tripod.com/index.html
www.alpacanation.com/koehlers4staralpacas.asp
http://michianalpacas.ning.com
Go to Top of Page

Koehlers

782 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koehlers's Homepage  Send Koehlers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparky168

I am new to breeding alpacas. I have been in the horse business for many years and am very familiar with what to look for in mares that are about to give birth. What are the most common signs of impending labor in alpacas?

I have a female now that is breathing heavy, looking uncomfortable, and the cria is doing jumping lacks inside her.

Any new Cria yet? How is the Momma doing? Or I should ask how are you doing? I know they make you crazy!

Tracey Koehler
(989)751-0269
Koehlers 4 Star Alpacas
Michigan
Go to Top of Page

sparky168

74 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  5:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No baby yet! She looked uncomfortable the other day but now she's just hanging out in the pasture. She was bred last year on SEpt 9 so she is closing in on the year mark. This will be the first born on the farm so I think she is doing this on purpose to make me crazy! LOL! I have a feeling the second I stop watching her like a hawk there will be a cria on the ground.

When should I start to worry and call the vet? How long should I let her go?

Riptide Farms
Sussex, NJ 07461
973-222-9401
Go to Top of Page

mbenson

41 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  7:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Koehlers

quote:

quote:

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan

You have got it exactly Michele.
I watch and watch and nothing. I checked on my due girl yesterday morning about 8:30 took out hay all was fine. Heard the dog barking and looked out to see the boy's wrestling. Walked out to the pasture and there was a new little boy laying on the ground still in the sack.
She showed no signs , no discomfort, could not even see a bulge from under her tail.
Have a very nice looking dark fawn little guy.
You just never know.

Where in Michigan are you located?
I am in Michigan myself.

Tracey Koehler
(989)751-0269
Koehlers 4 Star Alpacas
Michigan

Congrats on your new boy! I'm near Big Rapids.

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  7:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sparky168

No baby yet! She looked uncomfortable the other day but now she's just hanging out in the pasture. She was bred last year on SEpt 9 so she is closing in on the year mark. This will be the first born on the farm so I think she is doing this on purpose to make me crazy! LOL! I have a feeling the second I stop watching her like a hawk there will be a cria on the ground.

When should I start to worry and call the vet? How long should I let her go?

Riptide Farms
Sussex, NJ 07461
973-222-9401

Feel free to start worrying at any time.
My opinion, when the apple is ripe, it'll fall from the tree.
Longest here so far is 401 days

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
951-217-0306
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Life is Good!
Go to Top of Page

sparky168

74 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  6:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. This female is driving me crazy. She still has not had it. No signs of distress or anything and there is good fetal movement so I'm not worried about something being wrong, but she is a year pregnant now. Today she has had fast respirations so I don't know if that means something may happen soon.

Riptide Farms
Sussex, NJ 07461
973-222-9401
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to baby watch! We have 2 girls due now. Both show every sign in the book, then go back to eating hay and laughing at me behind my back. We ned to go real estate shopping in Missouri, but can't until these girls deliver, but before our maiden due at the end of the month pops.

Melanie McMurry MD
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2009 :  07:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My old fatty had a little boy Friday morning, on day 340.

The younger sister cruised through the day but that night if she lifted her tail I could see pulsating/contractions going from her hips back to the vulva.

I figured she'd deliver Saturday (day 338), but the next morning she grazed comfortably with no fetal movement and wasn't humming (one of her clues)so I went off to the farmers market. Four hours later Hubby called to say he'd found a little boy walking around the pasture, still covered in sac and no placenta yet. Sneaky brat.

The longest gestation we've had is 357 days. I feel for you! We've got 2 to go--both boarders belonging to people that live in another state and after today they won't be back for another 4 weeks. So we're encouraging at least one of them top please give it up TODAY. Yeah, right.

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com
Go to Top of Page

mbenson

41 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  4:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious if she ever had her cria............

Michele Benson
Paris, Michigan
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4017 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  4:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This thread reminds me why I added 2 weeks to everybody else's "due date" theory - I can't stand the wait and have no patience. To ease my mind and take the stress of my anxiety (which translates into lifting tails, checking udders, feeling ligaments, etc.) off my females, I added 14 days and don't start fretting until 351 days has past. In the past 7 years, I've yet to have to fret.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
LadySong Suris
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

sparky168

74 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  4:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She did have a baby. You can read the thread about inducing labor. I put it all in there. He has a hemorrhage because of his umbilical cord and the complications just snowballed him so he didn't make it. Very sad.

Riptide Farms
Sussex, NJ 07461
973-222-9401
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,544 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!