The Original
Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Main Menu | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Forum Rules NEW! | Active Polls NEW!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 Preventative vaccine for C.perfringens typeA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  6:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of our young females died of enterotoxin. She had septicemia at birth from being born into the dung pile. She lived 7mo and had 3 CDT vaccinations at 2cc each. From posts I have been reading,type A is the most common in alpacas,is normal in the intestines and gets out of control when the immune system is suppressed. The C and D part is essentially useless except for the T for tetaness. Enterotoxin is relatively rare in healthy animals. Is there a vaccine in development for type A? I read an article that in SA they give crias plasma from healthy donors who are resistant.

Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
report to moderator

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  12:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,
Sorry for the loss.
Enterotoxemia has many causes. The septicemia at birth was likely not related.
A healthy animal has clostridia in the gut. If the clostridium multiplies out of control, you have enterotoxemia.
One good example would be if an alpaca manages to get an overload of grain. If a trash can full of grain left in a paddock was knocked over and a few alpacas pigged out, they would all be at risk of enterotoxemia. That would usually be caused by types C & D
Another thing that would let it run away would be a low IgG. Note that this has nothing to do with the IgG at birth in your case, this would be a marker of how the alpaca's own immune system has progressed. There is a lot of info on JLIDS, usually described as "failure to thrive."
I'd hope that a good necropsy has been done. If so, the lab work should provide answers.
Again, sorry for the loss

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
951-217-0306
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Life is Good!
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page

DarleneG

649 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick!

She would not eat grain,but she would lay and pig out on hay. She was given plasma,and her IgG was a little over 800,which I understand is about the minimum,so the vet figured it may have been immune deficiency. The other vet told me enterotoxemia is rare in healthy crias,as I notice some on this forum do not use CDT due to possible complications from the vaccine itself.

Ed Geiser

Earthcare Suri Alpacas
Ed Geiser
146 N. Honey Lake Rd.
Burlington, WI 53105
262-534-4091
earthcare@wi.rr.com
Report to Moderator Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

alpacas for sale

alpacas for sale

alpacas for sale

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,513 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!