Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 noromectin vs. ivermectin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christiane

2801 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  3:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While at PBS this week to get a supply of Ivermectin(shots are due on Dec. 8) I saw that Noromectin is a lot cheaper. Has anyone had experience(good and bad) with this product> If Noromectin does the same thing as Ivermectin(the sales person told me it is exactly the same as Ivermectin, just a generic version) I would certainly switch to Noromectin. If any of the vets here want to chime in, please do.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  4:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Christiane, I switched to Noromectin about 6 months back, haven't had any issues. I believe that Ivomec and Noromectin have exactly the same active ingredients, but Ivomec has become synonymous with ivermectin and Noromectin is a less well known trade name.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
bagendsuris@roadrunner.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/bagendsuri.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2801 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jill. Guess I will switch and save some bucks.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page

Koehlers

782 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  8:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koehlers's Homepage  Send Koehlers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Christiane, I too have used the "generic version" with no problems. The same ingredient and a lower price.

Tracey Koehler
(989)751-0269
Koehlers 4 Star Alpacas
Michigan
http://koehlers4star.tripod.com/index.html
www.alpacanation.com/koehlers4staralpacas.asp
http://michianalpacas.ning.com
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  08:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have used a bottle of it w/o incident...and a bottle we contributed to injection site abcesses on 2/3 of those vaccinated. The abcesses were sterile and went away after time..but it made me switch back to Ivomec. Might try the greneric again in the future... just my experience.

Debbie
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

You only live once...live with alpacas!
Go to Top of Page

Val

105 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  09:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Val's Homepage  Send Val a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have been using Noromectin for about 3 years, never had one problem and we use it on about 60 plus here.
Go to Top of Page

Willow Glen Farm

163 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Willow Glen Farm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the doseage the same as the non-generic ivermectin?

Mary Ianni
Willow Glen Farm
Capron, IL 61012
willowglenalpacas@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/willowglen.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:56:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's the same drug, so it's the same dose.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
Go to Top of Page

Merryhill

17 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  06:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Merryhill's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We tried to switch from dectomax to noramectin from PBS a few months ago. We tried it on 3 of our most easygoing alpacas and they all showed visible reactions which we assumed was stinging. One boy even dropped to his knees. For those using it successfully, where is your injection site? Thanks, Linda

Rudy and Linda Horlbeck
Merry Hill Farm
653 Shellstone Road
Amsterdam, NY 12010
www.alpacanation.com/merryhillfarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  09:02:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use the front "shoulder" area usually - I didn't see any difference in reactions between Ivomec and Noromectin.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Benton, ME
(207) 453-0109
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2009 :  10:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Linda, you are right, Dectomax stings less than ivermectin. If you use one needle in the bottle to draw up the ivermectin and then put a 'clean' needle on the syringe, it will help a little bit. Having said that, you will probably still have a couple (and they are always the boys) that will be dramatic. After a couple of months most animals quit reacting. I can't see a difference between different injection sites.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,577 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!