Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 how do you keep parasites from reinfecting herd?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeykatp

301 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My herd was recently treated for a whipworm infestation and they are due to be treated a second time next week to catch all the developing larva. However, I don't understand how I can possibly keep them from becoming reinfected after this last treatment. The eggs must be everywhere! Since everything is thawing during the day, it's a soppy mess out there - just the right environment for parasites. I really want to burn everything with a propane torch, but it's way too wet for that yet. I don't see how lime can really help either.
None of my animals showed any signs of illness. So, I'm thinking of not treating them until it's much dryer out and the torch can do it's job. I can periodically check fecals, but if the alpacas are doing okay do I really need to treat? On the other hand, I've been told that whipworm can really do some damage.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712

samsuri

208 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  7:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit samsuri's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Kathy

Really all that you can do is drench them regularly, change the drenches each time to reduce the chance of the worms becoming resistant.

Paddock rotation is also very important, move the alpacas to a place where they haven't been for a while. If you have to, string up some new fences so you can move them weekly to help break the cycle and if you have 10 paddocks you will be leaving them off the pasture for longer than if you only have 2.

Once you get some grass growing, bring in some horses to help break the cycle. I swear that this is one of the best things you can do!!

I hope this gives you some options.

Cheers
Robyn

Robyn Harrison
Samsuri Alpacas
Coloured Suri Alpacas
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Go to Top of Page

Paradise

922 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  8:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Paradise's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you only have mud and no grass, you shouldn't be getting too much reinfection. When there is grass, pasture rotation, or creating a clean dry lot will be your best bet.
I don't recommend 'regular' drenching, especially if your animals aren't losing weight, don't have diarrhea, and aren't anemic. If you aren't sure about the anemia, have your vet run a PCV on a few animals.

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

301 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for your replies. As you pointed out, I'm really worried about making the worms resistant to anti-parasitics by treating them now. It's still winter here in NY, but it's been warm during the day. So, everything is thawing out near the barn where there is just dry lot (but right now lots of mud) and where they congregate this time of year. I don't let them out in the pasture in the winter and certainly don't want them to infect the pastures either. Apparently, the eggs can remain viable for years. The horse idea is interesting, but I only have one barn for my alpacas.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  11:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thought about the lime and torch. One thing you might try in leiu of the lime is diatomaceas (sp?) earth. I don't think it would affect the eggs, but ought to "cut up" any larvae that pass.

As to the torch, I had mentioned having one also on alpacasite. I was told that they don't work for some parasites - some will sink down in the soil and not be reached. BTW, it was Laura that mentioned that and it was back in 2007 - anything new Laura? (this was specifically for H. contortus, not whipworm)

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3317 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  06:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

For parasites I always feel I'm in a war and while I may win a battle here and there the war will never ever be over. I'm in NY too. At this point I do fecals often. We scoop the barn area everyday. We are trying to keep hay in the feeders and off the ground. In essence right now until the snow goes our alpacas are dry-lotted and they are crowding each other. I would keep doing what you are doing. I don't know how vulnerable whipworm is to cold and heat. I think that is the essential question. I couldn't find any info on it. I did find a really good article on nematodirus management that suggested its a very durable little nasty and I know e-mac is incredibly durable. Sigh!

I think I've heard 3 different parasite experts say 90% of your parasites are in 10% of your animals. I focus my attention on the young, the old and any that seem off. I would think if your herd seems healthy keep vigilant and then in the spring you can do some pasture rotation and get them away from the infected area.

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

samsuri

208 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  9:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit samsuri's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all

We have some good reference material on our Wool website (for sheep) and it has some useful info on worms and management. Here are some links:

Whipworm:
http://www.wool.com/Grow_WormBoss_Know-your-worms_Whipworm.htm
This says that whipworm is impervious to the cold and hard to kill due to the eggs being in a protective covering. They actually hatch after being ingested.

Nematodirus:
http://www.wool.com/Grow_WormBoss_Know-your-worms_Thin-necked-intestinal-worm.htm

Haemonchus (barbers pole)
http://www.wool.com/Grow_WormBoss_Know-your-worms_Barbers-pole-worm.htm

trichostrongylus (black scour)
http://www.wool.com/Grow_WormBoss_Know-your-worms_Black-scour-worm.htm

There has also been some research indicating that increased protein in the feed can assist in giving animals better resistance to worms... check the further readings section for the references.

What I have found is that very few alpacas get scouring (diarrhoea) when they have worms. Soft poop often goes hand in hand with coccidia, but not always.

I have had a couple of alpacas get "bottle jaw" which is a result of worms. I'm unsure exactly what causes it, but it's a mushy swelling under the jawline (not hard). In one case it was the thin necked intestinal worm, in another case we didn't work out which worm, but drenching with a triple drench got rid of the bottle jaw (by killing the worms).

anyway, I hope the links are of some use to those of you still learning about these nasties.

Cheers
Robyn

Robyn Harrison
Samsuri Alpacas
Coloured Suri Alpacas
Gympie, Queensland, Australia
Go to Top of Page

joeykatp

301 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  7:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit joeykatp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great sites for info on worms! Thanks for your all your replies. In three years I've avoided dumping beans anywhere near the pacas. This year, with all the snow we've had, I said, "Why not dump in a section that I can throw black plastic on which I have heard will kill everything?" Oh well, we'll just hope for the best when summer comes to cook the nasties out. Until then, I've been trying to add diatomaceous earth to their food to help keep the parasite load in check.

Kathy Paternoster
Our Father's Farm
New Hampton, NY
(845)374-7712
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,513 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!