Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Alpaca killed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diana Erhart

16 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  6:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if this has been posted under another discussion but there was a young alpaca stolen last week from a home in Butler County, Ohio and killed. Its remains were found in another county. Two teens and an adult female have been arrested and charged with theft and animal cruelty. The Butler County Prosecutor's Office needs to know that these animnals are much more than just property to us. I will definately let them know my feelings about this. The story is posted on WCPO.com. I'm not sure who the owner is.

I've been working for a juvenile court for years but I still cannot understand teens and animal cruelty. I just don't get it. It makes me sick to think of that happening to one of my little ones.

Diana and James Erhart
Moonglow Farm Alpacas
5462 Romilda Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45238
513-289-5539

CESpeed

144 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  7:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit CESpeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is so horrible. Stories like this make me very leery about where my farm is and how accessible it is to the road. I feel very bad for the people this happened to.

I'm glad the authorities are taking the death seriously. Is there anyone we should call or write to to make sure that they don't get a slap on the wrist?

Chenyn Allen
Alpaca Springs (coming soon)
Hot Springs, AR
http://www.alpacasprings.net
(501)623-8332
Go to Top of Page

peggiw

127 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to the story & a video...

http://www.wfmz.com/news/22706711/detail.html

Peggi Worth
Dear Heart Farm Alpacas
Goshen, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

highpeaksalpacas

1291 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit highpeaksalpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely sickening.
My heart goes out to the family that owned that poor baby.

Debbie
High Peaks Alpacas
Wilmington, NY
www.alpacanation.com/highpeaks.asp

You only live once...live with alpacas!
Go to Top of Page

prestonspac

226 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit prestonspac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is horrible beyond description.!! What on earth is the matter with some people...truly sick! So glad they found them and hopefully will prosecute to the fullest extent. Our heartfelt sympathies to the alpaca family.
June

Prestons Alpacas
Worcester NY, 12197
607-397-8051
http://www.alpacanation.com/farmsandbreeders/03_viewfarm.asp?name=13490
Go to Top of Page

bburns

147 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Setting fires and harming small animals are signs of serious emotional disturbance! These are very disturbed individuals who might do this again and I hope they are seriously punished! It is frightening that something so cruel could happen to our beloved alpacas and is a warning to us about the importance of doing everything we can for their security. Prayers to the family and I hope they will be able to recover from this emotionally and continue to work with alpacas.

Brenda
Alpacas of Sugar Creek, LLC Our Passion is Alpacas and their Fiber
sugarcreekalps@sbcglobal.net
Go to Top of Page

CESpeed

144 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit CESpeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is exactly why I would prefer to have guard dogs to guard llamas.

Would I be begging for trouble if I let Rottweilers run around outside of pasture areas? I'm thinking of double fencing so they can't get in where the alpacas are, but to allow them free reign to eat people like this.

I just sent an email to the prosecuting attorney to show support for the prosecution to the fullest extent of the law. His name is Steve Pronai, and his email is: prosecutor@co.madison.oh.us

Chenyn Allen
Hot Springs, AR
(501)623-8332

Edited by - CESpeed on 03/02/2010 11:23:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

ard

1805 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is only a matter of time for young adults who exhibit this type of behavior move on to humans. Since they picked a cria, they would probably move to children. They are usually resistant to rehabilitation. It is my view that we aught to worry less about the criminals' rights and more about the rights of the animals and people they harm.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp
Go to Top of Page

klay.k

571 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit klay.k's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Chenyn

This occurred in Madison Township, in Butler County Ohio. The Madison County prosecutor has nothing to do with this. It would be the Butler County prosecutor that will be dealing with this. Kathy

Kathy & Earl Klay
Jefferson Laurel Farm
8181 Havens Road
Blacklick, Ohio 43004
HM (614) 855-9194
CELL (614) 439-6619
Go to Top of Page

CESpeed

144 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  1:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit CESpeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that here's the correct information:

website for the prosecutor: http://countyprosecutor.org/contact.cfm

His name is Robin Piper. the email address for his secretary is: phippssk@butlercountyohio.org

Chenyn Allen
Hot Springs, AR
(501)623-8332
Go to Top of Page

WillowTan

592 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  7:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit WillowTan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This saddens me beyond words.
Was it a cria picked at "random" or did the teenagers know these people?
I know how difficult this has to be for the owners of Masterpiece.
The only consolation is they caught the offender(s), now we have to fight for justice.
I simply cannot understand the cruelty.
"rest in peace Arianne"
Regards,
Tana

Tana L. Ward
WillowTan Alpacas
Delavan, WI 53115 http://alpacanation.com/willowtanalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

CESpeed

144 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  2:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit CESpeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a response back from the DA. It reads:

Dear Chenyn:

I am responding to you on behalf of Butler County Prosecutor, Robin Piper and
wanted to thank you for your e-mail dated March 2, 2010.

Should you desire, I encourage you to contact your State Representative and ask
him/her to support stronger legislation.

You may also want to e-mail your concerns to the sponsors of Ohio HB 55 and ask
them for stronger legislation as well. They are Ohio State Representatives
Brian Williams and Courtney Combs and their e-mail addresses are:

district41@ohr.state.oh.us (Brian G. Williams)
district54@ohr.state.oh.us (Courtney Combs)

Lastly, I have attached a copy of Mr. Piper's press release asking for stronger
legislation for your reading.

Thanks again and should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact
our office at (513) 887-3474.

Sincerely,

Sandy Phipps
Administrative Assistant
Butler County Prosecutor's Office
(513) 785-5897

And here's the press release she attached:

Press Release For Immediate Release March 5, 2010

CHANGE IN LAW NEEDS TEETH

Robin Piper, Butler County Prosecutor, has reviewed the current version of House Bill 55 and says “it doesn’t do enough”.

“House Bill 55 would allow animal cruelty, animal torture, or the malicious killing of an animal to be a misdemeanor,” and Piper said “that’s not good enough”. “Furthermore, HB 55 only requires psychological counseling when the animal is a “companion” animal, which generally means, cat or dog. This requirement should be more comprehensive and put into place anytime a juvenile is involved in animal cruelty, malicious injury, or torture of an animal - - regardless of what type of animal is involved.” An alpaca is not a “companion” animal.

Piper went on to say, “It doesn’t make sense that someone can steal $500 worth of scrap metal and it’s a felony, yet they can maliciously beat, torture, or kill an animal worth thousands of dollars, and it’s only a misdemeanor. I’m not trying to go on a crusade, but the law needs to be much tougher than it is. To charge and punish a person who neglects or recklessly provides sufficient food and water to an animal, the same as someone who cruelly beats or tortures an animal is outrageous. The mens rea or evil intent is so different, that they should be charged differently. The laws dealing with animal cruelty are antiquated in Ohio and House Bill 55 doesn’t do enough to correct the situation.”

Prosecutor Piper acknowledges working with Rep. Courtney Combs over a year ago in seeking changes to animal cruelty laws. Unfortunately, the legislative process hasn’t produced anything productive and now Prosecutor Piper believes the changes need to be more comprehensive and stricter in nature. Prosecutor Piper stated “The legislature should form a task force to completely revise animal protection laws. Currently, they overlap, appear inconsistent, and don’t provide sufficient protection to certain classifications of animals. Any new law created needs to be clear, precise, and have more teeth. The law is out of sync when a person gets felony charges for $500 worth of property and misdemeanor charges for torturing an animal.”

In regard to the recent Alpaca case, the Prosecutor’s Office announced, charges involving vandalism and theft, being felonies of the fourth degree, have been filed today against both juveniles. Piper further indicated a motion requesting bindover to the adult court will be filed on Monday.

For more information contact:

Robin Piper
Butler County Prosecutor
(513) 887-3494

Thank God they are taking this as seriously as we are.

Chenyn Allen
Hot Springs, AR
(501)623-8332
Go to Top of Page

KFF Suri Alpacas

54 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  4:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit KFF Suri Alpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back in Nov of 2008 in La Porte County , IN two idiots took their frustration out on an innocent 5 yr old Belgian horse named Ben and shot him once between the eyes killing him. They did not own the horse. After the trial for the two men which only resulted in a few weekends in jail, house arrest, and a fine of $50/mo for a length of time the public was outraged. They pressured the legislators in our district for a tougher law. As a result of that pressure, a new law was passed that increased malicious animal cruelty to a Class D Felony. The law is affectionately known as Ben's Law.

Maybe people of that county need to get a hold of this IN statute and get some of the wording incorporated into this OH bill.

Bill Koopman
KFF Suri Alpacas
Co-Moderator @ Alpaca Nation
La Porte, IN

219-326-SURI (7874)

www.kffalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

KFF Suri Alpacas

54 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  5:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit KFF Suri Alpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back in Nov of 2008 in La Porte County , IN two idiots took their frustration out on an innocent 5 yr old Belgian horse named Ben and shot him once between the eyes killing him. They did not own the horse. After the trial for the two men which only resulted in a few weekends in jail, house arrest, and a fine of $50/mo for a length of time the public was outraged. They pressured the legislators in our district for a tougher law. As a result of that pressure, a new law was passed that increased malicious animal cruelty to a Class D Felony. The law is affectionately known as Ben's Law.

Maybe people of that county need to get a hold of this IN statute and get some of the wording incorporated into this OH bill.

Bill Koopman
KFF Suri Alpacas
Co-Moderator @ Alpaca Nation
La Porte, IN

219-326-SURI (7874)

www.kffalpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

rgoss1

663 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  10:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every alpaca owner should respond to their representatives as well as to the ones in Ohio so that evil people are held accountable for their heinous actions.

Please take a stand and e-mail everyone on your list requesting their help. Don't let this happen to another one of our babies!!!!

Roxanne Goss
Lands End Alpacas LLC
Vermilion, Ohio
gossr@roadrunner.com 440-225-4138
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,522 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!