Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 10 month old cria with diarrhea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christiane

2793 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  2:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night, while scooping poop, I discovered that my 10 month old male cria had very runny diarrhea. He is in a pen/pasture with a seven month old. I could tell which one it was by looking under the tail, so I am sure which one it is. I gave a dose of Kaolin that I got from my vet a couple of months ago. This afternoon, after checking, I noticed that the stool was in much better shape, but still not beans like I want. The juvie female that I had taken to Ft. Wayne and Kentucky Classic, has no symptoms at all, although she had had a soft stool while at the Ky. Classic. I suspected at the time, that it was the change in the water, and a dose of Pro-Bios seemed to take care of it.

With this boy I think it is the fresh grass that may have triggered it. Any ideas from the experts out there? He is eating well, seems in good spirits, so I am not terribly worried right now. I am going to give him a dose of Pro-Bios anyway. None of my other alpacas seem to be having any problem.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739

alpacatreasures

230 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit alpacatreasures's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Christiane,

Yes, a lot of post-show diarrhea seems to be occurring everywhere. Our 2 males got it at AWE last weekend. It's viral (most likely coronavius- as tested/diagnosed by some breeders) and should run its course in 4-7 days (we're on day 3 with plops). BUT, it's extremely contagious, even to house pets, and quarantine procedures should be implemented as many farms are experiencing other animals catching it in other pastures. We have very near-term females, and we're doing everything within our control to keep this away from them. I only go into the quarantined pen once a day (end of day) to feed and treat with Pepto, probiotics, electrolytes in water. I wear different boots/jacket in with them as well.

Anyway, the diarrhea should run its course in a few days regardless. Just provide supportive care if they're eating well/acting normally: probiotics, electrolytes, anti-diarrheal. The biggest concern is keeping it away from your other animals. Call the vet if symptoms persist or get worse.

Best regards,

Sara McElroy
Alpaca Treasures
Maple Valley, WA
info@alpacatreasures.biz
www.alpacanation.com/alpacatreasures.asp
Go to Top of Page

allamericanalpacas

4245 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  5:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for grins, use the search function here. Enter the word diarrhea, and set the dates from March 1, 2007 to May 31, 2007.
There's a whole page of results.
It's that time of year. The pastures are richer, the stress of shows for some.
Because of the snots last year, people may be getting a bit paranoid and putting undue blame on shows.
If you have a common cold, you take an aspirin or a decongestant and get on with it. Chances are that you have a coronavirus or rhinovirus that caused it, as they are both quite common.
Basically, it's just diarrhea season, keep them well fed and hydrated, this too will pass, and next year we can make up some other silly name for it.
I choose scours because it's easier to spell than direa um dihrehea um diarrhea.
Ploppy poop is okay also...

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
alpacanation.com/aaalpacas.asp
http://aaalpacas.com/updates.html
Go to Top of Page

Pepperina

777 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  5:29:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pepperina's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do on-farm worm egg counts. So if I had an alpaca scouring firstly I would take their temperature and then check their poo for worm eggs. If that was all looking clear and the animal was active and healthy and eating I probably would do what you have done and give more dry pasture hay and see if it remedied itself. Probably would separate with a mate until it resolved as I wouldnt want my whole herd getting it if it was contagious.

Regards Barbara - Pepperina Alpacas Australia
Go to Top of Page

Alpacalady

685 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  6:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alpacalady's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Too hard to spell.......,even 'spell check' has trouble with that one!

Just call it "Ploops"

Laila

Graceland Alpaca Farm
Lisbon Falls, Maine
gracelandfarms@verizon.net
207-353-2171
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2793 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  7:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, spellcheck did ok my spelling, and I'm a good speller, but that is a hard one. BTW, my little guy seems to be getting better. I could not separate him from his pen/pasturemate because that would have just made things worse by leaving him by himself. I did check the other guy out, but he is fine. Neither one was in contact with the female juvie that went to the shows. She is ok too.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-3739
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,554 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!