Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 ALPACAS AND HORSES
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BBOND

1 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you keep horses and alpacas in the same pasture at the same time. We have two horses and 17 alpacas that are boys.

nyala

3318 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  1:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We have 3 horses and 50 alpacas and we keep them separate. I think one kick from a horse and there would be major alpaca damage. Our 3 horses are pretty good but they do kick each other once in a while and while they can take it alpacas couldn't

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

gogolfarm

38 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  2:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit gogolfarm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
We have 1 Hackney mare and 1 pony in the pasture with 1 stud. It's working for us. We keep them in the barn together, and we have to watch for each getting into the other's supplement. Who knew a horse would like alpaca food! Linda

Tom & Linda Gogol
Gogol Farm
Lee, Il 60530
gogolfarm@yahoo.com
www.alpacanation.com/gogolfarm.asp
Go to Top of Page

Heidi Christensen

4211 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  8:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Heidi Christensen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a bit of searching when this subject came up awhile ago. My thought was people keep goats and horses together - some of the goats are way smaller than alpacas. I've seen horses in with a flock of sheep down the road from me, again much smaler than alpacas. Some racehorse owners even keep a chicken with their horse. I also found a web site that talks about introducing a companion animal to your loner horse. It does mention there is a chance of injury or death during the introduction.

I keep 2 goats with my single horse. I would never put a pregnant female or cria with one, but can no longer say I wouldn't put a group of alpaca males with my horse when my goats die.

Heidi Christensen
WingNut Farm
Graham, Wa
(253) 846-2168
http://alpacanation.com/wingnutfarm.asp
http://wingnut-alpacas.com
Go to Top of Page

foxwoodfarm

20 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit foxwoodfarm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with everything everyone said. We have horses and alpacas who share the same barn and a fenceline, so they all know each other very well. I wouldn't purposely put them in together for the fear of an accidental horse kick to the alpaca. That being said, I've had a boy or two escape their enclosure (left the gate open, duh) and I've found them grazing alongside the horses with not a care in the world. Made for a fun roundup!

Eve Secrist
Foxwood Farm Alpacas
Richmond, KY
http://www.foxwoodfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

nancyspacas

425 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  06:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit nancyspacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree.... for the most part.
My horse and his goat buddy share the fenceline with my alpacas.
I would not put them together only because the horse tends to spook at a lot more things than the alpacas do and takes off running and kicking when scared. I do not want to risk the injury to one of my alpacas in this way, so they stay seperate.

To each his own...

Nancy

Walnut Hill Farm, LLC
Metamora, MI
(810)441-6660
walnut_hill@centurytel.net
www.alpacanation.com/walnuthill.asp
www.freewebs.com/walnuthillfarm/
Go to Top of Page

pinkertondan

624 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  4:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit pinkertondan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've kept ours together before, & it worked well. I would definately agree about pregnant alpacas & crias being sepated though. There's pro & cons to everything I guess.

Sarah Pinkerton
Rockford Bay Ranch
14701 S. Heritage Dr.
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
www.alpacanation.com/rockfordbay.asp
208-768-9999
Go to Top of Page

sweeterthanhoney

51 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  9:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping I could add to the question. I don't own alpacas yet. But, when I read this question my thinking was Bio security. I have to admit I hadn't thought about the kicking injury thing. I don't have horses ( I am allergic) I forget they can have an attitude. I've seen lots of LLamas in with Horses. But that whole thing about goats going in with horses so why not alpacas.... I'm not sure how much a bred goat is worth. I think everyone is right... Alpacas are a little too expensive to risk. But, some gelded males that mind there own business... what have you got to lose. I saw a horse that was in love with a goat on you tube. Seriously animals can be so strange and interesting all at once.
So does anyone have anything to add about the mixing of horses with alpaca from a health stand point. (Bio Security) I think horses "GO" where they feel like it. That might be an issue. The alpacas may not appreciate that too much. And that's more than beans....

I look forward to more responses!

Sweetly Yours,
Nikki Brown of the"FUTURE"
Sweeter Than Honey Alpaca Farm
Go to Top of Page

sweeterthanhoney

51 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  10:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking... I have also seen people use Donkeys as a guard for their alpacas. I know it's a different animal but I am pretty sure they kick. Any ideas?

Sweetly Yours,
Nikki Brown of the"FUTURE"
Sweeter Than Honey Alpaca Farm
Go to Top of Page

Upperfarmnic

491 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nikki,

You can check the archives here and in Alpacasite about the dangers of co-mingling goats and alpacas. A breeder here in Maine ran boer goats with their male alpacas and ended up losing all of them to(something like) cutaneous lymphodentitis. It's a nasty bacterial disease that attacks the lymphnodes, common among sheep and goats but unknown to alpacas in this area until this incident.

It didn't reach their female barn/pasture, but they had to quarantine them for months and firesale them. They've lost their business and their much-loved herd.

We have some people interested in buying from us who have had for years a small herd of goats. One of them has worked for the vet who cared for the alpacas/goats above and they are well acquainted with the breeders and understand the dangers. They plan to keep their alpacas separate from the goats and have already taken steps to make sure their goats have a clean bill of health. I can live with that.

We have another couple interested in getting just geldings. They have one boer goat and one pygmy that they just got recently. In this instance, we will not allow our animals to go to that place unless their goats are gone. They have no history with their goats, just as the breeders I mention above didn't know they had acquired infected stock. At first they thought we were being picky, but they've been doing more research and now understand.

Nicole Carter
Upper Farm Alpacas
Pownal, ME
niccarr33@msn.com

Edited by - Upperfarmnic on 10/22/2008 11:18:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

nyala

3318 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  11:17:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit nyala's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I would think you would risk a kick from a donkey even a little one. I attended a parasite workshop this past summer with Dr Chris Camman and it was hands down the best one I've ever attended. She talked about integrated parasite management. This involves rotating pastures between different species. Horses and alpacas were one of the rotations she mentioned. The idea is the different species don't get each other's parasites and they actually can reduce the parasite numbers in the fields. I assume they consume the eggs but destroy them since they don't get them. I wonder if anyone else has information or insight into how this works? I was thinking the opposite that they would make the parasite situation worse. One thing to keep in mind is they do get some of the same diseases. Anyway we still keep our horses boarded off farm but I'm thinking of bringing them home. Our local extension has some new information about federal programs to promote pasture rotation that I'm going to check out as well.

Cheers!

Ann

D. Andrew Merriwether, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Biology, Binghamton University
and
Ann and Andy Merriwether
Nyala Farm Alpacas,Vestal, NY
www.alpacanation.com/nyalafarm.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,556 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!