Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Dogs Kill Alpacas in NM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimR

1046 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  8:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today on the front page of the ABQjournal there was a story and video(On Internet) about how pit bulls killed this ranchers alpacas yesterday. The name of the farm is Alpacas of New Mexico. He is not on AN but I have a link to his farm. I was hoping we could email him or something. He was very upset, and I thought he could use some support. I am going to post 2 links, one is of the video of the alpacas from the paper. DO NOT LOOK AT THIS is you can't handle graphic horror. I thought about not posting it, but than I thought if it makes anyone that might be lax about fencing or procrastinating about getting guard dogs, or Llamas, see what could happen to the animals you love so much, than it might be worth it.

http://abqjournal.magnify.net/video/5-Alpacas-Dead-Dogs-to-Blame

This is the information if anyone cares to drop them an email.
We support each other all the time, I think this family needs a little support too.

Chuck Homer and Dianne Torrance Alpacas of New Mexico
P. O. Box 606
Placitas, NM 87043-0606
Phone: 505-867-6867
Email: chuck.homer@comcast.net
Thanks very much, my heart broke seeing that and knowing what they must be going through.

Susan Rempe
Four Corners Alpacas
Bloomfield NM
River11524@msn.com
www.AlpacaNation.com/fourcorners.asp

tortkid43

533 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  8:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit tortkid43's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Susan,

Wow thank you for sharing..I immediately emailed them and I hope they know they are absolutely in our prayers!

What a horrible thing to go thru...Thank God for our Dogs and my trusty rifle!! Those dogs would not have made it back home I can guarantee you that if it happened at my place! Makes me so angry at the irresponsibility of some (not all) but some dog owners especially of that breed!

Thank you for sharing again.

Mike

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page

Koehlers

782 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  9:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Koehlers's Homepage  Send Koehlers a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh My Gosh, I just read the article from my google alerts. Now I saw the video. My heart goes out to them. I can not imagine what they must be going through. I agree Mike those Dogs would not have made it home had I been out there. I thank God we have never had any problems, but we really do not have any neighbors either. I have sent my regards and will have them in my prayers tonight as well. So very sad.

Tracey Koehler
(989)751-0269
Koehlers 4 Star Alpacas
Michigan
http://koehlers4star.tripod.com/index.html
www.alpacanation.com/koehlers4staralpacas.asp
http://www.alpacasocial.com/profile/TraceyKoehler
Go to Top of Page

llamapelli

1401 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  2:31:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit llamapelli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know Chuck and Dianne, and it breaks my heart that this happened. This is a problem that is far too common all over this country. Unfortunately, only so much can be done. Llamas have been known to be cornered and killed by dogs, LGD's can be killed by other dogs in packs, many dogs (pit bulls included) can climb 5 and 6 foot "no-climb" fences without a problem (as can coyotes). I am glad that Mike made a distinction between bad pit bull owners and those of us who take the responsibility to care for this breed as they should be. Unfortunately, the machismo attitude so prevalent in NM means that there are far too many pit bulls chained to posts, kept in yards with little human interaction, and encourages to be aggressive--every wrong thing that can be done. When they do get loose, terrible things often happen. So often local laws don't adequately protect us from such attacks, unless they happen to humans. I have a hard and fast rule that I have let be known to to my neighbors: any dog found on my property harrassing my animals will be shot on sight. Unfortunately, it is what most of us must do. Given so many of these attacks happen at night, though, it is hard to fully protect them. Guardian dogs and llamas are not foolproof, but they can significantly reduce this sort of tragedy. I've said it before, and I will say it again, we should all have them.

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
http://www.alpacanation.com/anasazialpacas.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,513 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!