Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Kicker

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
clerkmary Posted - 05/22/2016 : 7:06:31 PM
I have a young female that has kicked since we got her as a yearling. We have tried to work with her but she kicks more now than she did when we got her. We now want to breed her for the first time but she kicks the male so much that he won't get near her. Any ideas Thanks alot
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
clerkmary Posted - 05/24/2016 : 5:11:27 PM
Thanks for the advice Mara. I will try that. She doesn't kick hard but her kicking is getting worse. When we got her, they suggested we put some kind of weights over her back, but I wasn't sure how heavy I needed to do it or how to get them to stay on or whatever. My husband said we might just have to put her down and let the male get on her. I hated to do that too. I'd rather she cush on her own if we can get her to.
Thanks
Mara DeBoe Posted - 05/24/2016 : 3:11:36 PM
In the UAFF yahoo group a few weeks ago, Dr. Ruthann gave her solution to correcting kickers. Her recommendation was 'wear a long (denim) skirt' when working with the alpacas. The alpaca will kick, not make hard contact (assuming she only kicks the skirt material and doesn't connect with your leg), possibly get foot tangled, and thus not get any satisfaction from the kick. Eventually the 'paca will learn its not worth the effort to kick. And the flowing skirt rubbing up against the back legs as you walk through the herd will desensitize them over time.

Or, you need a really big aggressive male.

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,867 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!