Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 Herd Management

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
WmChristian Posted - 11/02/2007 : 12:52:57 AM
I was wondering what you all do for herd management? At the moment i am just using a note book but was wondering if there was a better way?
Getting real hard shuffling though papers for shots and nutrition. Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.

William Christian
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
llamapelli Posted - 02/22/2008 : 5:09:17 PM
Cindy Fronk of Stargazer Ranch had a symposium on record keeping at F2F. She has the forms she uses (she also uses a notebook system) on her website, too: www.alpaca.net

Melanie McMurry
Anasazi Alpacas & Kokopelli Llamas
Gladesville, WV
304-864-5210
mfount Posted - 02/22/2008 : 12:52:22 PM
I have heard a lot about Alpacaease. However, I am a cheapskate and simply use Excel. My herd is a workbook and each animal is a worksheet. I have no problems. Bear in mind you can do graphs queries etc.

When the herd gets bigger, I'll switch--but it works fine for 10.

Mike

Mike and Jan Fountain
Fountain Mist Alpcas LLC
Marshfield, WI 54449
cyburham Posted - 01/01/2008 : 11:06:57 PM
AlpacaEase has my vote. The software program easy to use and Ellen goes above and beyond as far as customer service. We have 48 Alpaca's, 3 Pyrenees, 3 Shihtzu's, 5 Exotic Persians and 3 barn cats all of which are tracked on this software. I have the HerdEase. Her program makes it easy to keep on top of things. I still have the records for all 30 Alpaca's that have been sold in the past year as well as outside breedings for others and can pull them all up very easily for reference for our clients. I actually will send a reminder to some of our clients when vaccinations are due and when due dates are near.

Cindy Burningham
Mountain Top Alpacas
7586 West Mountain Top Road
Herriman,Utah 84096
801 254-5627
cyburham@comcast.net
www.mountaintopalpacas.com
http://www.alpacanation.com/mountaintop.asp

Paradise Posted - 01/01/2008 : 5:04:28 PM
Thanks Rick;

I figured that was it, but I think I will still keep going with my notebook for now!

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
979-826-9559
www.alpacanation.com/paradisealpacasoftx.asp
workalone Posted - 12/31/2007 : 8:38:50 PM
William:
Just this past week i found a website called Alpacatracka. It is a "free-to-use" site. I haven't had a chance to enter my animals into the system yet, but as soon as i get a free afternoon i'm planning on giving it a try. You can also list the animals that you want to sell on this site.

Deb@Paca Pastures
Youngsville,NC
dworkalone@wmconnect.com
deb@pacapastures.com
allamericanalpacas Posted - 12/30/2007 : 11:58:36 PM
Hi Laura,
Computer geek speaking here.
It sounds like you had a hardware problem that happened to show up while you were running AlpacaEase.
The worst any software can do to a computer is to crash it requiring a reformatting of the hard drive and reinstall of the operating system.
If hardware replacement was needed, it can not be attributed to any software

Rick
--
Rick & Pati Horn
All American Alpacas
35215 Avenida Maņana
Murrieta, Ca. 92563
http://aaalpacas.com/identity.html
Paradise Posted - 12/30/2007 : 10:22:49 PM
Has anyone run into problems with AlpacaEase and Windows Vista? They said it was supposed to work, but the whole herd health part wouldn't work and then my hard drive from my brand new computer completely crashed. I had to replace the hard drive and am very reluctant to load the program again.
Thanks,

Laura Hillman
Paradise Alpacas
Hempstead, TX
Ben2154 Posted - 12/30/2007 : 7:56:05 PM
Alpacaease is the best I've found. It manages all of our records so easily and we can print just about any report we can think of. Our accountant likes the way that we can categorize our expense report to assist her easier with our taxes by having lists and totals of certain expenses together (ex. feed, fuel, fencing, etc.) One other really cool thing about this program is that you can set up reminders for yourself on when shots, procedures, ultrasounds, etc. are due according to your protocols. I would strongly look into this program for your farm, it is definitely worth the money.

Ben Augustyn

Melissa & Ben Augustyn
Augustyn Acres Alpacas
10310 Kluttz Rd.
Rockwell, NC 28138
Quality of the Carolina's
(704)-763-7501
enfys Posted - 11/04/2007 : 02:39:49 AM
My vote is for AlpacaEase too - love everything about it; record-keeping is just soooo easy and lots of options of print-outs to go with an alpaca when sold.

It also has a reminder system to tell you when vaccinations, worming etc are due. I can't praise it highly enough.

Sheila
Enfys Alpacas
Wales, UK
pdhmaine Posted - 11/02/2007 : 9:44:01 PM
I love using AlpacaEase. I can print out the medical, breeding, & fiber histories for buyers as part of the sales contract. I can quickly look up what protocol we followed for an illness -- see what works what doesn't. Feature that I love is being able to copy a procedure, such as giving Ivomec, from one alpaca to another, changing the weight. Record-keeping is EASY.

Normally I write on the whiteboard monthly weights and what needs to be done and check it off when it IS done, then I transfer the info to AlpacaEase.
PAm

Pamela Harwood
Longwoods Alpaca Farm, LLC
135 Main Street
Cumberland, ME 04021
pdh@longwoodsalpacas.com
www.longwoodsalpacas.com
www.fiberpieces.com
Mary Jane Posted - 11/02/2007 : 08:30:25 AM
Hi William,
There are a couple of software programs available for alpaca herd management. I haven't used either of them, so perhaps someone else could chime in with their impressions of them.

I use a notebook system, also. Our numbers are currently at 10 alpacas, so we aren't so large that it is overwhelming at this point. Each animal has their own sheet and each sheet runs a calendar year. At the end of the year, the completed form goes into that alpaca's file folder. When an alpaca is sold, a copy of these forms goes with it. (I keep the original.) Cria forms are different from adult forms. Everything that is done to an alpaca is recorded on that sheet, so there is only ONE place to look for health information on each alpaca. The design of the form is very much a 'work in progress' as I decide what happens frequently enough to require it's own space on the form. If you are interested in seeing it, email me and I will email you a copy of each blank form.
Mary Jane

Land of Legends Alpacas
2653 Swans Road
Newark, OH 43055
(740)345-2199
www.alpacanation.com/landoflegends.asp

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,892 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!