Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 When is too late to give Estrumate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
clerkmary Posted - 06/29/2014 : 9:33:53 PM
We bred a girl to her father in error on May 28. We gave her 2 shots of Estrumate on June 8 & June 9. Today, June 29, we tried to breed her and she spit like crazy and ran from the male. Can I give her 2 more shots now. When is it too late.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
clerkmary Posted - 06/30/2014 : 5:43:11 PM
Thanks again for the info. Yes she is small so I think he did the right thing. Thanks for the info on the book also.
Judith Posted - 06/30/2014 : 3:47:55 PM
Estrumate is very weight-sensitive. You don't need much of it, so I suspect the 1/2 cc was probably right for your girl's weight (I assume you gave them the weight - or an approximate weight). If your vet looked it up in a camelid-specific guide, then they probably had it right. There's a different dose for clearing a pregnancy than the one that's used for a retained CL (I know, because I just had to give a gal one for a retained CL and I was surprised how much more was required for that than for an abortion).

If your vet is new to camelids, I'd suggest that you buy her/him a copy of Dr. Evans Field Guide as a reference book. It's worth its weight in gold; has all the doseages for various medications and situations, and lots of great information they'll need. I gave mine a copy and she uses it frequently. It is a bit pricey, but it's well worth ensuring that your vet has a pretty comprehensive guide to alpaca care.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
clerkmary Posted - 06/30/2014 : 11:18:21 AM
Judith, I went back and tried to find some old posts and seen where someone said they gave 1cc x 2 of the Estrumate. My vet only gave me 1/2 cc each. They are new at working with alpacas just like me and they looked it up and decided that we needed to go with 1/2 cc. Is this OK, or should I have them do 1 cc.
clerkmary Posted - 06/30/2014 : 08:23:01 AM
Thank you Judith. I thought I had to give it as close to the ten days as possible. There is always so much to learn. I will get more today and give it today and tomorrow. Thanks alot for your help. I appreciate alpacaforum soooo much.
Judith Posted - 06/30/2014 : 06:54:54 AM
I think you could go ahead and redo the Estrumate now. I think you may have given the first two too soon. At that stage, the embryo was probably not implanted so it wasn't affected by the injections. I don't normally medicate until 30 days post-breeding.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,856 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!