Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Sheared or Shorn?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Mara DeBoe Posted - 05/14/2015 : 3:08:12 PM
Food for thought: The shearers are coming tomorrow. After they leave, will the alpacas be "shorn" or "sheared"? (I've heard both, and been corrected when using either.)

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Christiane Posted - 05/25/2015 : 5:09:25 PM
I forgot to add, that I miss Rick Horn all the time, although I never met him in person. He made people laugh, and was always willing to help.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Christiane Posted - 05/25/2015 : 5:07:02 PM
Alpaca folks are kind of like German Shepherd folks, just a teeny bit over the edge. You can find me staring at poop to see if I can find any parasites, and yes, my pacas seem to enjoy adding more to the pile just as soon as I have cleaned up. If I am lucky, I can place the scoop under them as they make their deposits.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
lagrandmere Posted - 05/18/2015 : 10:38:35 AM
I suppose poop is something we have all come to love...we can't discuss with our non-alpaca friends...they just start yawning.... so Alpacanation is our catharsis!

I'll actually own up to being more than a little obsessed with poop! We clean the paddocks twice a day...never miss, unless we're away together, which is rare, but even then instructions to our alpaca sitters include twice daily clearing! Fortunately with only 12 beasties, it doesn't take long and once you start such a routine it does become a way of life...how sad is that??!! I'll go even further and confess that I actually enjoy clearing poop!! It's my take on meditation, birds in the background, alpacas wandering over to replenish the pile and nothing to think about except chasing "the bean that got away"!

Do I need therapy or are you all like me...please say you are?!

Judi Bourton
La Grand-Mere
Plenee-Jugon
France

Judith Posted - 05/18/2015 : 07:21:54 AM
This is the best thread I've read on AN since Rick died.

J

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
tortkid43 Posted - 05/17/2015 : 10:46:23 AM
Absolutely NOT off topic Mon Cheri Judi....

Pooping knows no boundaries...!

FYI ...Mine like to lay down fresh poop while im scooping too..!!

Mike and Maggie Carabajal
Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
www.alpacanation.com/ranchodelaluzalpacas.asp
lagrandmere Posted - 05/17/2015 : 05:03:10 AM
Loving this thread!

Sorry Tortkid 43 but, here in France an alpaca is called an "alpaGa", (though I'm not sure why they couldn't just use our word.... after all, most don't even know what an alpaca is..let alone an alpaGa! However, maybe you meant to say "L'apaGA doit aller a la toilette!", although perhaps you meant that you were off to the toilet of the alpacas?! Sadly, here in France, we haven't yet managed to train our animals to use the toilet...they just can't work out how to lift the seat and the flush is far to difficult for them to operate! We do, however, have a few who will come, get into position perfectly and poop directly into the scoop whilst I'm clearing, but that's another subject!

Whoops...are we off topic?!!

Judi Bourton
La Grand-Mere
Plenee-Jugon
France
tortkid43 Posted - 05/16/2015 : 11:47:40 PM
Lol...Love it Christiane....Now we know..!!

Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
Christiane Posted - 05/16/2015 : 9:56:25 PM
Poop it is. Poop is a noun, but it is also a verb, namely, to poop. The past tense, is pooped, but the past participle is also poop, as in "The alpaca did poop". And now I'm pooped out. I actually don't know if this is an actual word, but ........check the dictionary. Bonne nuit at tous.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
tortkid43 Posted - 05/16/2015 : 2:34:51 PM
I agree with Christian who agreed with Judith who was endorsed by Judi on the importance of proper linguistics in the whole scheme of things as it relates to alpacas....It's just the student in me I cannot get rid of that either....I once read about France and even visited Little Italy in the North part of Austin one summer while in College But thats another story...

Now let's discuss the proper use of Pooping in sentences or should I say "Disposing of Bodily wastes"...!

Or for those Purist who prefer French...." je dois aller a la toilette le Alpaca"....

Merci pour les renseignements.

Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
Christiane Posted - 05/16/2015 : 1:30:32 PM
I have to agree with Judith--it's the teacher in me and I just can't get rid of that. I also agree with the French version, since I taught that language as well, and the French do know their grammar, as my sister-in-law will point out. She is just retiring from teaching French and Italian for 45 years, at Luther College, but has spent a good part of her life in France and Italy as well.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
tortkid43 Posted - 05/16/2015 : 08:50:16 AM
I too agree with Judith on occasion........But here in Good Ol Texas it's simply called "Pelon"...!

Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
lagrandmere Posted - 05/16/2015 : 04:45:19 AM
Yes, our alpacas have just "Got Naked" too but I agree with Judith's explanation!
Here in France "Ils sont tondu!" or "Nous avons fait la tonte!"

Good luck everyone who has still to shear their animals!

Judi Bourton
La Grand-Mere
Plenee-Jugon
France
tortkid43 Posted - 05/15/2015 : 08:26:05 AM
I just tell folks mine are "Nekid".....takes care of the past present and future..!

Rancho De La Luz Alpacas
Elgin, Tx
Judith Posted - 05/15/2015 : 06:17:09 AM
I use them this way:

Sheared is past tense of shear: I sheared my herd yesterday.

Shorn is past participle of shear: My herd was shorn yesterday.

So the way you frame the sentence determined whether you use "sheared" or "shorn"

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,866 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!