Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 INJECTION SITES

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dianne633 Posted - 08/07/2015 : 11:10:31 PM
HI I HAVE AN ALPACA THAT HAS AN INFECTION IN THE JAW BONE THE DOCTOR HAS PUT HER ON SODIDE INJECTION I HAVE TO GIVE HER A 25 ML INJECTION IN ANOTHER 10 DAYS THE VET TOLD ME TO PUT IN UNDER THE SKIN IN HER NECK HALF ON EACH SIDE WELL I THOUGHT SHE WAS GOING TO COLAPSE ON ME HER HEAD WENT BACK AND SHE COULDN'T STAND UP PRORERLY, IS THIS THE BEST PLACE TO PUT A SUB CUTANIOUS INJECTION AS I AM CONCERNED FOR WHEN I HAVE TO GIVE HER ANOTHER ONE IN 10 DAYS,

REGARDS DIANNE
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Judith Posted - 08/21/2015 : 2:41:06 PM
LOL! Love it!

J

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Mara DeBoe Posted - 08/20/2015 : 9:12:21 PM
I like that - IA - "in the alpaca."
Our vet always tells us 'as long as it's not IF' - "intra-fleece."

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI
Judith Posted - 08/09/2015 : 4:58:41 PM
I follow Norm Evans' advice. I administer IA - in the alpaca - wherever I can find a spot that I can tent fairly easily and inject. Keep in mind, I have no help to hold or balance any of my animals, so many things are more challenging for me than they should be. But as long as the injection gets made without hitting a vein I'm happy. I use short needles (usually 1/2") to make that easier.

J

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
dianne633 Posted - 08/09/2015 : 12:00:38 AM
HI Judith and bill
I always draw back when injecting I was just under the skin,so Judith if you don't use that area anymore where do you use now I must admit I just hate injection them anyway but if it needs to be done I still do it.

regards dianne
renfarms Posted - 08/08/2015 : 10:52:58 PM
Dianne,

Another good place to look for looser skin that will easily tent is a bit above and behind the front legs on the torso. No matter how you slice it, 12 1/2 cc in one injection is a lot of fluid to introduce under the skin in a short amount of time, and actually takes some time to introduce, which gives the animal enough time to resent the process. That much fluid can also be a bit uncomfortable. As Judith alluded to, some are very dramatic in their response, or you might have introduced it into a vein or muscle. As she says, always pull back on the plunger a bit to see if any blood is drawn up into the syringe, which would indicate you are in a vein. If so, pull the needle out and try again.

Good luck with the jaw infection.
Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
bill@renfarmsohio.com
www.renfarmsohio.com
Judith Posted - 08/08/2015 : 07:52:30 AM
Are you sure you didn't hit a vein? Did you draw back on the syringe to check before injecting? Did you perhaps go deep enough to hit a muscle instead of just under the surface? Were you injecting at the spot where there's loose skin, so you could draw out a tent for the injections? I hate doing injections in the neck area; I had a similar response in one female (of course, she was always a drama queen), and I've never used that injection area since.

Judith Korff
LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,867 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!