Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 2. Alpaca Healthcare & Nutrition
 anemia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Susan Petersen Posted - 12/01/2015 : 3:25:16 PM
What is the latest recommendation for treating anemia. We treated the coccidia problem. Red cell used to be used frequently, but then there was concern about the copper levels in alpacas. Does anyone have a recommended dose of red cell for alpacas?

LIfe is good with
Alpacas All Around
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BedfordPA Posted - 12/11/2015 : 11:44:32 PM
Roasted crushed soybeans, shredded beet pulp, spinach, & molasses all add iron. I had issues with Barbar's Pole this summer with 3 yearling males. In addition to Safeguard, I used Vit B complex injections, above diet additives, & Red Cell. For yearlings(around 60-70 lbs) Red Cell-I gave 2mls/day for one week, then 3x/week for 3 weeks, then weekly for a few weeks. I, too, was very concerned about the copper level from Red Cell, so about 2 months after starting this regimen, I spent the $$$ & had mineral panels drawn. My one survivor's levels were normal-both blood count & copper. I did a LOT of research trying to find the right balance of treating anemia without causing liver failure from copper toxicity. Ended up with more questions than answers. For larger animals I would not hesitate to give up to 5mls Red Cell. They seem to like the taste after a dose or two. I checked the gums every few days & decreased when they became pinker in an attempt to avoid copper toxicity. Good luck with your alpaca.

Valerie Csehoski & Jake Hoover
Bedford, PA 15522
bushwoodcircle@yahoo.com
814-623-9507
Kate Posted - 12/04/2015 : 10:47:07 AM
My vet uses a different supplement, so I can't help there.
If she is very pale and slow, I would be suspicious of mycoplasma being present as well, and treat with LA200. It takes so long to get identified by the lab, that we have acted proactively with good results.
Best wishes,
Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA
Christiane Posted - 12/04/2015 : 08:19:08 AM
Check with a vet for this.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,867 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!