Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Coccidia

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
reneeprochaska Posted - 01/08/2016 : 07:14:52 AM
I have a 11 year old female alpaca who went down suddenly Sunday.night. She was laying on he side making the most painful long loud groans. Ella has always been a nervous skinnier alpaca. (I have always had to do T-Touch on her to give her a shot or put on a halter. Ella was moved to the tach room which has a space heater.. Initial treatment/recommendation from the vet was a shot of banamine and ulcerguard,safeguard, pepto bismal and Nuflor. Bloodwork was taken at the time and fecal submitted the next day. Ella was positioned in a kush position with lose hay to support her head. To everyone's surprise, she lifted her head and began eating the Brome hay. She has shown no interest in eating Knoblock's Paca Nutrition -which she usually loves.
Fecal has shown 200plus for eimeria, probably not emac is written in the comments from Kansas State. Her blood work was normal in all respects except white count was 26,000 (K State says it should be less than 18,000) and her Albuminen (spelled wrong I am sure, anyway indicates protein was 2. K State was more worried about the low protein than the white count..Have switched to offering her alfalfa and beet pulp (with molasses), and chaffhaye. because of the higher protein.
Her temp at the time she went down was 96 (She was also lying on the cold ground on a very cold day in Nebraska)

Treatment so far has been Corid (will be for 5 days), ulcerguard daily , 2 cc banamine initially 2cc 2 times a day,now 1cc as needed,, safeguard (panacur at 4 times body weight for 5 days
Nuflor, initially 3cc , then 2 days later 6cc, Gave LA 200 on the off days.of Nuflor, Thiamine, (started on Monday) at 1.8cc every four hours. Started Pro-Bios yesterday and remembered I had Fast track so gave her that this morning.
Yesterday (Thursday), her temp was 97, Her feces has gone from balled, to diarrhea, to formed beans, some loose, some balled. However no fecal output this morning, she appeared to slow down her amount of eating yesterday..and appeared to be less perky. I am worried that she is going to continue not eating/eating little.. She has remained kushed with head up since Sunday.. Due to probable dehydration, vet recommended we start IV bags of saline (last night was a brief blizzard, so will get this morning.) He would also see us get her up in some type of hammock/sling 30 minutes at a time if possible.
We do have homeopathic vets in the area and I have a call into them to see if they can help. At this point, I am desperate. Kansas State has said that other than giving her 5 bags of plasma,(and there would be no guarantees with that), we are doing, what they would do. So we have elected not to take her to Kansas State vs. the stress of transporting and taking our very nervous Ella to a strange place.
Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to be thorough. I am concerned about her eating slowdown. Please help, If any of you have used other medications or homeopathic techniques and found them helpful, please advise.
Renee Prochaska-Keenan
Ponca Hills Alpacas
Omaha, NE
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
reneeprochaska Posted - 01/10/2016 : 2:40:23 PM
Unfortunately, she passed away early Saturday morning. Ella was always such a nervous alpaca, that I guess it might make sense that being moved by strangers (my friends) would be stressful. It is good to know that when that happens to their head, that it is not always a death sentence.
I have decided to become more versed in homeopathic, as the vets who do that here won't make housecalls except my vets partner who does the accupuncture part. One of the homeopathic vets referred me to a vet who is also a chiropractor. So I have another choice in the future.
Another homeopathic vet called me after Ella had died and we talked and I have decided to have a homeopathic kit and buy books to gain more knowledge. Althhough I had thiamine available, but people also referred to giving vitamin B12 shots so I would like to look into acquiring that and when to use it as well. Kate, thanks for your help. It is hard to lose an animal that you love.
Kate Posted - 01/09/2016 : 11:16:46 AM
Renee,
This happened to me when I moved a down alpaca as well, and he recovered pretty much completely. I hope that you don't have sad news this morning, and that it was just in response to being moved.
Prayers for you and Ella,
Kate
reneeprochaska Posted - 01/08/2016 : 8:01:41 PM
My vets wanted me to try to get Ella up (like with slings/hammock supporting her.One of them thought this might get her gut stimulated, the other thought, if maybe she has some spinal damage, or fractured pelvis, given she was found in the door way with one of her back leg twitching. I realized after talking to them, that she stopped eating when I tried to phase out her banamine. So this afternoon, I gave her a shot of banamine! And since she was showing signs of dehydration, my vet and I decided to give her lactated ringers. (I don't think I could tube successfully.)
As I waited for my friends to come over, with the ringers still being administered, all of a sudden, she started eating.
My friends got there to lift her into the slings to support her and started picking her starting with under the front armpits Suddenly her neck arched and her head dropped onto her back. And her legs did not seem to respond to touch.and pulled in. We have her propped up, and covered with a blanket to make her comfortable.
Kate Posted - 01/08/2016 : 4:58:04 PM
Ok, Renee, I just sent her Reiki! I got the word 'sweet' when I asked for any message. If you have any friends with Purina Equine Senior, you might try a bit of that, or maybe she wants apple? Banana? I'll let you know if I come up with anything else... Does she have a daughter or a friend there? She may want some company for a bit every day.
I hope that she improves for you! If you have white tailed deer in the area, I would ask you vet about adding Ivermectin in, every other day three times, in case the whole episode started with meningeal worm. I think you can't overdose Gastroguard- heard it's not very effective for camelids... I would give it today, or use sucralfate instead.
Hearing about her half in the doorway makes me very suspicious of injury or meningeal worm :-(
All my best,
Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA
Www.Alpacanation.com/Sunsetfields.asp
reneeprochaska Posted - 01/08/2016 : 3:55:42 PM
Kate.
Thanks for your advice. My vet wants me to try to get her up. I thought with this status, she would be too weak to try, but they say it could stimulate her gut and also rule out a pelvic fracture as she was found on her side, on the barn threshold, half way in the paddock an halfway i the barn and there is a 8 inch difference. So it was a strange way to be found.
Yesterday I was giving her gastroguard and i didn't have dial set well and gave her about 3 days worth! So I don't give it today? Also I only give her 1 cc of banamie yesterday as some vets think it can aggravate their system. But maybe she is not eating because she hurts? So I just gave her 2 cc. We will see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for your help.

Renee Prochaska-Keenan
Ponca Hills Alpacas
Omaha, NE
Kate Posted - 01/08/2016 : 10:20:54 AM
Dear Renee, I would put a coat on her or rig a blanket with duct tape, to try to help raise her body temp. A sweater sleeve will keep her neck warm.
I'm glad to hear that you added in Probios! If you can get her up that will help her gut move, and if you have enough help to walk her around a bit that might help raise her temp... You could sling her with a towel under her chest by her front legs and another under her abdomen- if there are four people available! If she's anemic she needs an iron supplement, it seems like she is with the LA200 being given?
Some people syringe feed a mash of soaked feed, beet pulp with molasses, etc with a large oral syringe- that would get more nutrients into her- u could add applesauce or pumpkin, if she's not eating the alfalfa and beet pulp. Ask your vet what to add...
I can send her Reiki if you like- email me a frontal head shot. scmckelvie@hughes.net
Praying that she perks up for you!
Kate McKelvie
Alpacas of Sunset Fields
Glen Rock, PA
Www.alpacanation.com/Sunsetfields.asp

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,878 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!