Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 9. General Alpaca Discussion
 Alpaca Characteristics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ElkCreekAlpacas Posted - 06/22/2016 : 9:58:52 PM
We have had both Suri and Huacaya alpacas for over a year now...we recently added a small group of Suris we got from someone needing to rehome them (she only had them a year) there are a few characteristics I've noticed that I can't seem to find information on anywhere. First, a lot of the females (not all) have a strand of hair coming out of each nostril...it's no big deal...just wondering why some do and some don't. Next, one of them makes this.clucking...almost grinding sound. She's the only one. The closest I've come to anything regarding this is maybe she's warning you to stay away or something...but, she's one of the friendliest of that group...there is another sweet girl who has sapphire eyes...she is proven not to be deaf...I've discussed with some other owners and they seem to think that if she is bred to a male with absolutely no white, the cria should be fine...any thought on this? And last, there is another girl who always tilts her head when she looks at you...and when she's sitting or standing still, you can see her head slightly sway...I'm thinking possibly she may have either been affected by the meningeal worm or had a traumatic birth or something. These girls came from the same farm where the original owner passed away...they are all very sweet and trusting and we have them separated in their own field for now...just wanting to get the thoughts of some more experienced alpaca owners since I can't seem to get any of this information from any of my books or website articles...Thanks!!!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Christiane Posted - 06/27/2016 : 11:33:34 AM
I had only one alpaca, a female, that I lost in late April, that had hair growing out of her nostril. None of my others have that, and I never did breed her, since her fiber was not the best, so don't know if that might be a hereditary thing or not. She was a great auntie to all the other alpacas,and was always the first to alert. I miss her.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
ElkCreekAlpacas Posted - 06/23/2016 : 2:32:18 PM
Yes, thank you...it helps a lot regarding the sapphire eyed girl...she's one of my favorites from that particular group...so, I really want to be able to breed her! ;-) As far as the hair in the nostrils...I'll have to double check on the relation...I know that a lot of that group are though. The strands are...I guess, similar to a very thin mustache which comes out of the nose...but, I know what you are talking about with the Huacaya's having their 'mustaches' or almost like a gotee ;-) So, it might just be a heredity thing. I appreciate you responding!!!
Mara DeBoe Posted - 06/23/2016 : 10:52:14 AM
Are the 'hairy nostril' ones related somehow? That's all I can think of. Like mustaches in huacayas.

We had a (huacaya) blue-eyed-white that was not deaf. Her production history (with us, and prior to us): bred to brown/white pinto (brown head-neck) gave all brown (not our breeding); bred to fawn gave fawn (not our breeding); bred to black with white face gave deaf BEW (duh, not our breeding, but she was at mom's side when we got her); bred to black gave tuxedo gray (our breeding), bred to tuxedo gray (our breeding, but oops) gave tuxedo gray. Hope that give you a little help.

Mark & Mara DeBoe
Wibotawot Farm
River Falls, WI

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,867 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!