Online Alpaca Marketplace
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 Grumpy Alpaca

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dawn56 Posted - 11/27/2017 : 5:36:36 PM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me I recently bought 2 entire male Alpacas I did not go and see them them first I just took the guy at his word that they were fine and that he was selling them as he needed to start new blood lines they came from an open farm so assumed they were used to seeing people, he delivered them they came off the trailer fine and went off to explore their new home, well after a few days one of them became very nasty I can't get near him although the other one is quite friendly but won't let you touch him for long they have obviously not been handled very much as they came with a full coat and one toe on each of them is curled round, I don't know much about the Alpaca as I have had horses all my life and these are very different to what I am used to, can anyone give me any ideas how I can catch them to get them sorted I am feeding them daily they are on 3 acres of grassland the grumpy one sizes me up and if I give him eye to eye contact he spits at me big time, the last few days they have been fighting the guy did tell me that males do this but the noise and the fighting looks terrible it's always the grumpy one that starts it, I love them to bits but I want to enjoy them the whole plot I have is about 7 acres should I separate them or get them a girlfriend each I really don't know what to do.

Mrs Dawn Foster
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Dawn56 Posted - 11/28/2017 : 11:20:52 AM
Thank you so much for your reply you have great way of explaining things, I am in the UK there don't seem to be that many Alpaca farms here, I have always wanted Alpacas and just my luck my first 2 are difficult, maybe I should have started off with 2 girls as what I have read they seem to be the lease trouble, if I do separate them is it right that I will have to take one out of sight of the other one ? some people say that they don't do well on their own, how easy is it to re introduce them, sorry for the questions complete novice here.

Mrs Dawn Foster
renfarms Posted - 11/28/2017 : 10:18:41 AM
Dawn,
Greetings! You don't say where your farm is located. My best advice to you would be to search the farms in your area here on Alpacanation, and reach out to several of them,asking them to mentor you. If you can find a local farm owner to come out and get a firsthand assessment of the particulars of your farm and animals, that will provide you with the best possible help in sorting out your current situation. If your boys are becoming too violent with one another in the short term, I would advise separating them for a while to give them some breathing room. There are quite a few variables to consider, weigh and balance to come up with optimal recommendations for you, and an experienced eye engaging in a bit of careful observation should yield up the answers you seek. Have you contacted the selling farm in order to get their advice and counsel? You will need to do health care things like nail trimming and giving shots, so it is imperative for your safety and that of your alpacas that you work with them each day to halter train them and set yourself in their minds as the dominant animal in the mix. There are good alpaca training techniques and several schools of approach available to you. Simply Google "alpaca" and "training", and you will turn up a number of books and videos that will aid you greatly. Two well known authors/presenters on the topic of alpaca training are John Mallon and Marty McGee Bennett.

Best regards,

Bill

Bill and Louise Goebel
Renaissance Farms
McArthur, Ohio 45651
(740) 596-1468
bill@renfarmsohio.com
www.renfarmsohio.com

Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,863 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!