How do I....?
 Please help with anemia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thogue

1 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2011 :  10:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have a 4 year old male that has lost a lot of weight in the past month, despite being fed almost straight alfalfa and coastal hay offered as well. They get alpaca pellets at night and have free choice Still Water minerals and electrolyte cherry water offered daily.
This male has had fecals run by local vets and I had samples sent to a lab in Wisconsin. There is no E. Mac and we also had a male die 3 months ago- no e mac in intestines, no significant parasite load and no barber pole worm. I am at a loss. They also checked for Johnes Disease- which was negative.
I treated all my males with Toltrazuril, (twice- recommended by Norm Evans in a recent clinic) just in case they missed E Mac due to its elusive findings in fecals.
This male had to have a blood transfusion yesterday. His PCV was 16%. I used the notes from a forum found from Dr. Steven Hull for the transfusion, as my vet had no experience with alpacas.
He received 250mL of blood, which is more than needed/recommended for the transfusion. I have treated him with Moxidectin for barber pole worm 3 weeks and one week ago. They are on a dry lot due to the drought we are in- but have almost free choice hay. I pick poop every other day. I have treated him with Biomycin for Mycoplasma hemolama- just in case. I have given him Thiamine, just in case he was low I didnít want to add the mayhem and figured it couldnít hurt as everything not absorbed with be expelled. I have also been giving shots of Vitamin B along with oral iron supplements and probiotics. He has been getting shots of ivermectin every month for mengineal worm and I only deworm when I have a positive fecal or ill thrift looking alpaca.
If anyone has any ideas, please help. You can call my cell incase my email is down. Thanks to anyone in advance. This has been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. He is our best male.
Sincerely,
Tanya
(910) 520-8535

breezyridge

151 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2011 :  07:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit breezyridge's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see you didn't get any help here. Sounds like you covered all the ideas I would have had for you too. I sure hope things have improved. If it was Mycoplasma hemolama from everything I've heard and read it can be very deadly. It may take a bit of time to get the PCV back up. Keep us posted. It helps us all.

Connie Blechle
Breezy Ridge Alpacas LLC
www.alpacanation.com/breezyridge.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,901 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!