Alpaca Discussion Forums
 6. Farm Facilities & Equipment
 alpaca getting in water tank
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a problem with two of my female alpacas. The one has always put her front feet into the water buckets, so I bought two big 100 gallon metal tanks(the oval kind) thinking that this would be too tall for her to do that. She still gets her feet in, but not only that, she puts her whole front end--chest and all, up to her hips--into the tank. Not only that, but she now has one of the other girls doing that as well.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to solve that problem? I have thought about covering the tank and just leaving a hole or two just big enough for them to get their mouths in to drink. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533

vintagealpacas

701 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit vintagealpacas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a similar problem, put the big stock tank up on cement blocks and now they can not get their feet in! This has worked for me for seeral years now.

Kimberly Rassi
Vintage Alpacas
alpacanation.asp/vintage
Go to Top of Page

elden harms

112 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arrange some sort of fence or panel in front of the tank so they have to stick their head and neck through to drink. The green panels used for temp. pens can work for this.

Elden Harms
Token Creek Alpacas LLC
Evansville WI
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I have the same problem, and have had to do what Elden suggests. All my alpacas have to reach for their buckets or tanks through panels (or in a couple of cases, I hang them pretty high on panels on rubber bucket straps). There's nothing more annoying than spending a hot steamy summer day walking bucket after bucket of water out to them, only to have them immediately tip it over or dirty it.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

littlewing

151 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2013 :  6:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always love posts like this, funny. Alpacas spend so much of their lounging time thinking of fun stuff for us to do and figure out, don't they?

Amanda Schwab
Little Wing Farm
6327 Jefferson Mill Rd.
Scottsville, VA. 24590
#434 286 3931
littlewng@mac.com
www.alpacalove.com
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I can't put the tank on cement blocks to raise it, because then my dogs and the young crias can't reach the water. However, I will try the fencing in. Don't know why I did not think of that.

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  09:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another thought might be, if you can't set your water up outside your fenced area, use 4 small/custom cut panels and those spiral fence connectors that Premier 1 sells to make a square or rectangular enclosure around a water area inside your fenced areas.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could simply put a small "roof" over the tanks or buckets that prevents the alpaca from stepping forward and into the the water.

Drive 4 T-posts into the ground as legs and use a piece of plywood or sheet metal as the roof. A more portable system would be to use 2X2 or 2X4's as the legs.

In addition to keeping the alpacas from stepping into the water the roof will help keep birds from dropping things in it.

You could also get fancy and paint it, put your favorite motto or even your farm name on it. You could make it flat or upside down "V" shape to match your other buildings.

Another thought would be to build the frame and use part of a plastic tarp as the roof. You could also staple or strap those cheap vinyl pic-nick table cloths over it changing the color any time you get the desire.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christiane

2830 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  11:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea about building a "roof" over the tank. That would be something easy for me to do. I also was a bit afraid that a female might drop her cria(during birthing) into the tank, so that will prevent that as well and give me more peace of mind. Now, a question: How much space should I leave between the top of the tank and the roof?

Christiane Rudolf
Tanglewood Farm
19741 Victory Lane
Fayetteville, Ohio 45118
(513) 875-2533
Go to Top of Page

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2013 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think something about mid-neck high would work and be high enough to allow easy access yet prevent them from stepping over the bucket to put their feet in it.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,900 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!