Alpaca Discussion Forums
 1. Alpacas 101: Getting Started
 wanting to save up for a farm of my own
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kala83

3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my family for literally years now has joked that I should own my own far with different animals that I would probably be well suited for it.

at first It thought it was a flight of sheer fancy and that it was too big a dream to try for. But now I am starting to really want to try.

do I think that this will be something that happens over night. No totally not, but I want to look into it and I really want to try if I can at all.

any tips from anyone would be great but for the most part thats why I am here.

ard

1844 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  9:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kala,
Not knowing your age nor location, it is hard to advise. One thing you can do is aprentice at a farm and see if you really do enjoy the work and comitment that is a part of farming. If you are still in high school, see if there are farms in your area where you might be able to help on weekends. Knowing what work is involved in farming is a good tool to help you decide if this is what you want to do.

Robin Alpert
Alpacas 'R Diamonds
15163 W 323rd
Paola, KS 66071
913-849-3738
www.alpacanation.com/alpacasrdiamonds.asp

Edited by - ard on 08/30/2013 9:23:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

rackapaca

663 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  10:58:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Kala, and welcome. Is there a 4-H program in your area? Great place to start, wish I had been a 4-H'er and our ranch sponsors our local 4-H programs.

Never give up on your dreams - you can make it happen!

Best Wishes.

Ruthann
Racka Paca Ranch
Kila, MT
Go to Top of Page

kala83

3 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  11:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a local 4-h in my area as well as there are several alpaca farms in the area that I could ask about volunteering with.

I am 29 years old.
and live in Columbia,MO
Go to Top of Page

littlewing

151 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  09:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is right, volunteering is a great way to learn and discover what level of alpaca ownership will be right for you.

We have had folks who just like to come out to our farm and help and be around them. Then we have folks who set up their own farm and some who agist {long term board}....I like it when folks starting out learn proper care and management. Herd health which involves shots, possibly oral meds or vitamins, trimming feet. There is proper nutrition for alpacas, breeding, birthing techniques {there are many Neonatal classes offered for that}, safe! halter breaking and importantly proper fitting of the halter, plus the daily routine of keeping their pens and pastures, water tanks, buckets, feed bowls clean. The farm itself has seasonal chores above and beyond the alpacas themselves....

I sometimes recommend people buy three nice to handle, pet/fiber quality males before launching into full fledged alpaca farming.

Best of luck, we have enjoyed owning alpacas for many years.

Amanda Schwab
Little Wing Farm
6327 Jefferson Mill Rd.
Scottsville, VA. 24590
littlewng@mac.com
#434 286 3931
www.alpacalove.com

Go to Top of Page

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw this in one of the newsletters I subscribe to and thought you might be interested: http://www.uvm.edu/newfarmer/?Page=classes/wfp.html&SM=classes/sub-menu.html

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

Cooksey

63 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  10:24:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cooksey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kala, totally doable. At 29 you can look at all your options for purchasing land, fencing, barns/sheds/shelter, water well, and electric are needful and preferable it has a small older farmhouse on it. In the beginning you may decide to keep working as you start up and establish your farm, it's products, and how you are going to get the product to market. Adding as many streams of income as possible will help keep money coming in to support your farm. And don't think narrowly on just one product, the layer breeds of chickens that are free ranged most of the year in your area will bring in some egg money and you get eggs and meat, truck gardening is hard work but more profitable with small acreage, herbs, fruit, berries, vegetables,and Flowers. Think about having a farm store. Do you work in the fiber arts currently or have interest there? Then a variety of fiber animals including alpacas may be in your best interest. Start small and plan for growth. Keep in touch!

Imaginary Alpaca Ranch
Clyde, OH 43410
Go to Top of Page

Cooksey

63 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  10:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cooksey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And I didn't mention, but if you are going for alpacas, you want to have land for Pasture, pasture rotation, and extra land for HAY PRODUCTION. That is the best way to keep expenses down on the 'feed' end of the business......figure a stocking density of 5 alpacas per acre. If you get up to 10 per acre, you need more land for rotation because 10 will eat the pasture down bare really fast and may not allow enough time for regrowth. But drylot can have increased density and then you have to bring in hay. You need to plan for different areas for different age/sex groups as well. Initially, one for boys and one for girls. Then as you grow, start separating into other groups by age, dams with crias, a special care area for maybe the new mom/cria's first few days or a sick one that needs separation for a few days, etc....

Imaginary Alpaca Ranch
Clyde, OH 43410
Go to Top of Page

kala83

3 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  10:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have thought about other animals i would like to keep in addition to alpacas.

I really like the idea of having goats, and possibly llamas

I started working two new jobs here in town and might possibly looking at doing a third...so I can take care of my debts and also put back money for things such as this

lol I still get the impression I have a bit more research to try to take care of for stuff.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,926 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!