All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 Herdisre and fiber question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gosselinalpaca

14 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  8:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit gosselinalpaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alpaca in question is a 5 year old, full Peruvian, white, suri male. Very nice pedigree but AFD of 31.7, SD 6.46 and CV 20.38. With stats like this would you biopsy for density (looks to be VERY dense but of course no biopsy results) and maybe use him as a sire in that respect if he is truly dense or would you not use him at all due to coarse fiber? There are no prior histograms on this guy to compare and see what he was like when he was younger.

I've been looking for a white suri herdsire however it's very hard when nobody seems to post histogram results, or if they do the histogram is an old one. Obviously pedigree alone is not a good indicator of a potential purchase as the alpaca mentioned above is a who's who of famous sires.

Thoughts?

bobvicki

2967 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  11:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I breed primarily for black suri's but if I was to be breeding white I wouldn't consider a 5 year old male with those stats at all. There are just two many white males that have better fleece stats at that age that are not being used and could be purchased for small dollars.

If you find a nice male with old histograms but no current ones just ask for a fleece sample and send that sample in for a reading. You could send 10 in and still be ahead of where you would be for paying for a skin biopsy.

Bob

Bob & Vicki Blodgett
Suri Land Alpaca Ranch
10371 N 2210 Road
Clinton, Oklahoma 73601
641-831-3576
alpaca@htswireless.com
www.alpacanation.com/suriland.asp
Go to Top of Page

delphi

180 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just some perspective on just how "dense" this alpaca is.
Here are 3 example alpacas - that are follicularly equally dense -
equally long - and only vary in micron.
This is based upon straight math.

Their fleece weights, and volumes, (Think the mass of fleece you are feeling for "density")
will vary by this amount:

AFD of 20 = about 10 pounds
AFD of 25 = about 15 pounds
AFD of 32 = 24 pounds

So comparing this alpaca to a 20 micron alpaca that puts out 10 pounds of total shear weight -
Does this 32 micron alpaca put out (relatively, and comparably) 24 pounds?

(Or if 20 AFD paca puts out 5 pounds - does this guy put out 12?)

That's how much he would have to put out if he was equally dense.
That's how much an increase in AFD impacts our density "guesstimates".

FWIW -

Linda

Linda Bat
Delphi Alpacas
Coaldale, CO
Go to Top of Page

delphi

180 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  1:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
checking my math - actually he'd have to put out closer to 25 pounds to equal the 20 AFD 10 pound alpaca . . . .

Linda
Go to Top of Page

gosselinalpaca

14 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  8:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit gosselinalpaca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info!

I didn't have a total shear weight for him and decided against it anyway. It's just not worth it to me to give up the micron for the density. I'm too new into improving my herd to worry about too many things at once and for now I just want to work on fineness. If I could afford a herdsire that had it all that would be another story! LOL

Thank you for the help and opinions! It is greatly appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

jillmcm

3204 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2013 :  7:08:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillmcm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can have very dense, very fine animals, trust me. Like Bob, I wouldn't even consider a five year old, of any color but particularly white, with that micron. And lots of us do post histograms on our suris - I test every single animal years 1-3, then every other year. You may need to look beyond AN - lots of farms have migrated to Openherd, for example.

Jill McElderry-Maxwell
Bag End Suri Alpacas of Maine - ¡BESAME!
Pittsfield, ME
(207) 660-5276 (cell)
bagendsuris@gmail.com
http://www.bagendsuris.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,850 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!