All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 White Spot Gene-BEW's-Breeding Gray/White Alpacas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2014 :  5:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have a 2 year-old solid white junior herd sire (my first alpaca). I am really excited to use him, as he is a nice boy, but I do not know what colors to breed him to without producing BEW's. Solid colors are probably fine, white through Black. But what about a black w/a small grey spot. A brown w/a small white spot? Grays w/white faces. Tuxedo grays? Modern Greys? In other words, what combinations will produce BEW's(I would like to avoid them). I do not know much about genetics, but am very willing to learn.

I do have his certificate uploaded on his listing on Openherd [Quinn Star Alpacas (QSA)]. I also know he has lots of color on his Dam's side and a beige/white on his Sire's side, but no blacks or grays. I hope that helps.

I highly appreciate all help/input/corrections, as I am relatively new (going on 1 year in March/April.

Thank you,
Emma Tomlinson
Quinn Star Alpacas.
http://www.openherd.com/farms/4325/quinn-star-alpacas

Edited by - 5starshockwave on 01/24/2014 9:24:42 PM

APacaFunFarm

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  11:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emma

Welcome to the wonderful world of alpacas. I had fun reading your OpenHerd page.

Simple answer, given your white junior herdsire's genealogy you cannot be sure there isn't a white spot hiding in all of those white/lite ancestors. To avoid, or at least reduce the risk of BEW cria avoid breeding him to alpacas that have white on an extremity.

This would include all tuxedo grays, pintos, and solid alpacas with a white chin or white foot. Solid alpaca with gray or black spots should not increase your risk of BEW cria. Solid alpacas with white on their body should also be safe as most of these spots are likely due to trauma/stress/something else.

Modern gray/roan should also be safe, though these females may not give you the solid colored cria noted in your breeding goals on OpenHerd.

Best or luck,

Neil

Neil Padgett
A Paca Fun Farm
Dickerson,MD
mpcpneilp@gmail.com
www.apacafunfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  2:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the welcome and the wonderful info, breeding just became a lot less complicated. I am glad you liked my open herd page.

I was wondering if modern gray is considered a solid color? What is the best way to figure out if my junior herd sire has the white spot? Finally, if he does not have the white spot, can he be bred to any alpaca without producing a BEW?

Thanks again,
Emma Tomlinson
Quinn Star Alpacas
Go to Top of Page

APacaFunFarm

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2014 :  11:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Modern gray is not a solid color, nor is it any one thing actually. Modern gray is an AOBA show division classification, and you can find roans, harlequin grays, poorly expressed tuxedo grays and probably other things in the "modern gray" class.

The best way to find out if your herdsire has white spot, assuming you can't see one on him, is through breeding results.

Whether he has a white spot or not, bred to a solid alpaca (with the possible exception of solid white) he won't produce BEW.

If you go into the Alpacanation archives you will probably find more than you what to know about BEW. A lot of that discussion has to do with the relationship of tuxedo gray to BEW, which doesn't apply to your herdsire. That said, if you are up to it, have fun wading through the opinions.

Neil

Neil Padgett
A Paca Fun Farm
Dickerson,MD
mpcpneilp@gmail.com
www.apacafunfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  09:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all of the help, now I know what to breed my herdsire to and what to avoid breeding him to. Unfortunately I can not get into the archives, probably because I am not a paid member, but I will keep that in mind when I officially join.

Thanks,
Emma.

Emma Tomlinson
Quinn Star Alpacas
Go to Top of Page

APacaFunFarm

1193 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  7:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the bottom of the breeding and genetics page. When I look I see a "button" that says "40 pages" of topics. The 40th page takes me back to 2007, and the most interesting discussions about white spot and BEW occur after that. Hopefully this is true for you as well. If so, you have a couple of evening's worth of reading. :-)

Enjoy…..

Neil

Neil Padgett
A Paca Fun Farm
Dickerson,MD
mpcpneilp@gmail.com
www.apacafunfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

5starshockwave

15 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2014 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 5starshockwave's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It worked! Yes, many evenings of good and informative reading ahead......

Thanks for all the time you have spent helping me with this.

Thank you again[I need to come up with a different closing(lol)],
Emma

Emma Tomlinson
Quinn Star Alpacas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,850 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!