Alpaca Discussion Forums
 4. Breeding and Genetics
 Male cria attempting to breed?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AshleeTopHat

8 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  12:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how worried I need to be about our 5 month old male cria who spent his time while we were out doing spring cleaning this weekend attempting to breed with the females? Thankfully, he seemed to be (slightly humorously) unsuccessful. Even better, the girls who are supposed to be pregnant were very adamant in their denials. But he did get one open girl to cush a few times, then seemed to not really know how to continue.

I would think 5 months is too young to be mature enough to actually successfully breed, but I guess I don't really know! Any advice would be great, I'd like to avoid possible injury on either side.

Ashlee Reynolds
Top Hat Alpacas
Columbia Station, OH

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  1:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's not unusual for even very young (as in a couple of weeks old!) males to start mounting females. It would be unusual for one of them to successfully breed, but it has been accomplished by males 8-9 months of age. Most males don't have complete extension of the penis until they are 18 months or more, but it's entirely possible that even partial penetration could result in impregnation. If your boy is bothering the females, it is probably time to wean him.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page

AshleeTopHat

8 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Judith! We are in the process of building a new area for the boys, so it looks like he'll be moving into it sooner rather than later...

Ashlee Reynolds
Top Hat Alpacas
Columbia Station, OH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,851 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!