All Forums
 Alpaca Discussion Forums
 3. Birthing & Neonatal Care
 Newborn with swollen/knock knee?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pinkertondan

626 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  5:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit pinkertondan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi! Long time since I've posted..but we just had a slightly preemie cria born yesterday, who after a little bit of 'therapy', finally got nursing, but still was wobbly on its legs.
This morning, upon checking up on it, I noticed its right leg is definitely turned out, and the knee is a bit larger. It's pretty stiff, so I'm not sure splinting would help...

In all of our alpaca raising, we haven't really had to deal with had knock-kneed cries before, and I'm wondering if this is a true knock-knee, or if there is a supplement or therapy that could be done to help it out?
He only weighed 13 lbs, but otherwise seems to be doing pretty good now. Praise God, his mom is excellent and attentive.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
Sarah

Sarah Pinkerton
Rockford Bay Ranch
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
www.rockfordbayranch.com

Judith

4103 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Judith a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sarah -- I've had several crias born over the years with what looked like crooked legs or swollen knee joints. Usually they straighten out within a few days of romping around. Unless your cria shows evidence of pain while walking or running (or refuses to run or has difficulty cushing or rising), or the swelling doesn't subside within a few days, he should be fine. If you don't see any improvement within a week, or if you see him favoring that leg or showing sign of discomfort, you might try a tiny dose of banamine for the swelling/pain. I'd check with your vet for the proper dose given his weight when it's administered though.

Judith Korff
AlpacaNation Forum Co-Moderator
The Pastel Paca at LadySong Farm
Randolph, NY 14772
Cell: (716) 499-0383
www.alpacanation.com/ladysong.asp
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Alpaca Forum at AlpacaNation © 2000 - 2009 AlpacaNation LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

WELCOME TO ALPACANATION

Our family has 8,891 breeders, with more joining every day.

Join Now!